Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

Still not a perfect solution, but this should ease the suffering a little:

That is still the worse program ever. After paying the shipping to mail the disc and $25 dollars to them, you only get a Blu-Ray disc in return.

On Amazon, you can get any of the Criterion Blu-Rays for $30 or under.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Argh, now I have to decide whether or not to upgrade my Seventh Seal Blu-Ray I imported from Sweden.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

ClydeUmney posted:

Of any Fincher movies to get Criterion, it's sad that they picked his weakest effort. The 2-discs of Fight Club and Se7en are pretty flawless, so they don't need much more - is the two-disc Zodiac as good as that film dseserves?

Yeah, the release of Zodiac (I have the HD-DVD) was pretty good. Great transfer, awesome cover, Director's Cut with 2 commentaries, hour long behind the scenes, feature length documentary on the Zodiac, and a 40 minute documentary on Arthur Leigh Allen. Almost all of the extras were in HD too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The thing that sucks the most is that Ran already came out in a ton of different countries on HD-DVD but not one of them has English subtitles :(

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 29, 2009

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Macrame_God posted:

Sounds like it could be fun. Also, I didn't know that Gimme Shelter was slated for a Blu-Ray release. I've been contemplating getting it and if this is the case I'll hold on getting it until it's rereleased.

That, Contempt and Walkabout are the only titles left from the original Criterion Blu-Ray press release that haven't had a release date announced yet.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Macrame_God posted:

Question: Is the version of In the Realm of the Senses on the Blu-Ray the original uncut version or is it the "Producer's Cut" that has a roughly five minutes of footage missing?

Also, stop looking at me like that.

I'm pretty sure it is the original uncut version.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Also, this:

Oh no, I'm not falling for that again.

I never did receive my t-shirts I was suppose to get with The Last Emperor and The Third Man.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Criterion is starting their trade-in program on the BluRay digipaks from a post on Facebook.

Email mulvaney@criterion.com

What's the cost/details?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

No, that's awesome news.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

It was hard to pass on...Spartacus again... but they're obvious picks for BluRay. Especially since we're probably getting the first two next year.

Actually, Universal owns/controls the rights to Spartacus (just like Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas now)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Criterion has never taken any Universal DVDs out of print except for The Bank Dick, so it's always possible. They have issued BluRays of Sony and Fox films.

Not really. Spartacus was already released on HD-DVD, same with Fear & Loathing (which is coming later this year on Blu via Universal)

It will get a Blu-Ray release but Criterion won't be behind it...which sucks because Spartacus desperately needs to be cleaned up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Could somebody repost the information on replacement cases for Blu-Ray?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Thanks. I've finally been able to place my order for Third Man/Last Emperor now that I have a mail forward to my new place.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TheManWithNoName posted:

I did file a claim, just have to wait now.

I think the thing that bugs me about this most is the layers of poo poo. There is someone that matches his eBay name in Arcadia.

There is also someone who matches the name on the Wal-Mart packing invoice, and the address matches the name. This person lives in NYC and appears to be a lawyer.

Then there is a separate PayPal email which brings up nothing in Google.

I know I'll probably get my money back eventually but I'm really curious as to who exactly did this, and why. Is the marginal benefit of buying something on walmart.com to send to me worth it?

Maybe they are using stolen credit cards to buy the stuff from Wal-Mart in the hopes that Paypal will be lazy, see the tracking number, go "durf they got the product wat the problem" and tell you to go screw instead of pulling the money out of their account? It would be risky but it would also be 100% profit if eBay/the credit card companies don't catch on.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

LaptopGun posted:

Digital Bits reports Universal will release a BluRay version of Spartacus (with stereotypical :hist101: coverart to boot). I think that means Criterion wont do a Blu for that movie. Hopefully it does not lead to the Spartacus DVD going OoP. No word if the Blu is just the theatrical or the early 90's restoration (like the Criterion)

That is nothing new. Universal already released it on HD-DVD awhile back.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
What an awesome company Criterion is. I placed an order for 2 replacement Blu-Ray cases back in January but never received them. Emailed them yesterday, got a response today saying that not only are they resending them via USPS Priority but that they are throwing in a $10 gift certificate.

Can't think of any other company that would do that for an order that was only $10.61.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Does Jihad posted:

That is cool of them. But what on earth costs 10 dollars in the Criterion store? You could order another blu ray case, I guess.

A cheap House t-shirt would be pretty cool.

I don't know if you can use a gift certificate on rentals but :10bux: could get 2 movies from there.

Or like Jay Dub suggested, it could be used to get a normal release down to a reasonable price.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

azechiel posted:

gently caress yes. Antichrist was one of my top 3 from last year. It will probably be my first Criterion Blu-ray. 8 1/2, Seventh Seal, or Third Man would have been but I've made a vow to myself that I won't buy Blu-rays of DVDs I already own or I know I would spend myself bankrupt.

That's a horrible vow. Sell those DVDs and put the money towards the Blu-Rays.

The upgrade...oh the upgrade

Click here for the full 1437x1081 image.

Click here for the full 1437x1080 image.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Janus Films is going to start theatrical re-releases of Chaplin films soon, too.

As lovely Criterion's BluRays will be, I jump at the chance to see City Lights or Modern Times in 35mm.

Kinowelt have already released about 6 of Chaplin's movies (including City Lights/Modern Times) on Blu-Ray over in Germany.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Wow, I'm surprised Crumb is getting a Blu release. I thought it was filmed on tape.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

mod sassinator posted:

I'm curious, what's the reason to switch from digipak to a different case? Is it just so all your movie spines look the same?

The digipak is cardboard, easier to damage. The plastic is much more durable and the same height as other Blu-Ray cases.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Tyree posted:

Does Criterion have the rights to make a blu-ray for Brazil? If so, why hasnt this happened yet? :(

Universal...same situation as Spartacus/Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Could be

Wouldn't bet on it

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

The Universal DVD co-existed with the Criterion DVD.

It's unprecedented on Blu-Ray and I imagine a great Criterion release would torpedo the sales of the current release except for the few people who don't know any better and/or are cheapskates.

But I hope it does happen, I would love for Criterion to try their hand on Spartacus.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Cacator posted:

But the Criterion is out of print, that one just came out two weeks ago.

Yeah, Criterion lost the rights to it making their release OOP and Studio Canal released it when the rights reverted back to them.

For a Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas Criterion Blu-Ray to happen, Universal would have to give them permission. I'm not saying it would never happen but it wouldn't make much sense since the Criterion release would blow Universal's out of the water.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 7, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Nah, it's F&L. Someone posted this image at cf.org:

Hopefully Do the Right Thing will be next.

They better get cracking on Spartacus if they worked out a deal with Universal.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

friendo55 posted:

believe me i know... the good news out of this is, i was able to claim all the stuff that got wrecked through insurance so I made money back on movies that technically were never ruined.. though as we all know, the covers & booklets are just as much the collection as the movie itself.

i've almost purchased the OOP Third Man on EBay just so i can have that cover back! gahh..

ALSO, this overwhelming instant feedback is good enough for me. House is purchased.

Are you talking about the Blu-Ray? I have a spare original Third Man case left over from when Criterion sent me that awesome plastic case replacement.

If you want it, PM me and I'll send it to you for the cost of shipping.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 1, 2010

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

friendo55 posted:

i've been meanin to buy the platinum upgrade anyway..
now's as good of a time as ever.

yes, i meant the blu-ray! and thank you!
expect a msg sometime before the day's over [its 5pm for me right now]

You don't have to buy platinum. You can just email me at mrsporadic (at) yahoo (dot) com and we can work it out.

I also have The Last Emperor case if you need that one too.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

flying afro posted:

Speaking of Fanny & Alexander, is a blu ray release on the horizon? I know Criterion's announcing new titles on Monday, but I'm guessing there would have been a bit more foreshadowing if something like F&A was being worked on.

It's already available overseas so there is a good shot it will pop up here eventually.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

doctor thodt posted:

The Fountain is on Blu-Ray as well, albeit with lossy audio and no commentary. I'd love to see a film like that get the full Criterion treatment, but WB doesn't license their titles out.

Yeah, The Fountain isn't that crazy of a choice since Darren Aronofsky was asking people to email Jon Mulvaney for a Criterion edition after Warner wiped their hands of it and refused put any money up for extras (including a director's commentary track)

Darren Aronofsky in 2007 posted:

so the dvd came out.
happy that it is in the world.
hope more folks will get to see it.

as many of you can tell it is light on the extras as compared to my previous dvd releases.

everything at the studio was a struggle.
for instance: they didn't want to do a commentary track cause they felt that it wouldn't help sales.
i didn't have it in me to fight anymore.
whatever.

so:
niko, my friend who did the doc on the dvd came up with a novel idea.
we recorded a commentary track ourselves.
we're gonna post it on a site soon, http coming soon.
you can play it and watch the flick and hopefully you'll enjoy it.

i do hope to do a big special edition at some point. but for that to happen the dvd is gonna have to sell.
i got a lot of extras in my bag so who know maybe if you all write to criterion they'll get interested (suggest the fountain as a title: mulvaney@criterion.com).

they've been into pi and requiem but because the first run of dvd's had so many extras they didn't know what else they could add. but the fountain...

i hope you are all well. i've been writing. stuff is coming. gonna know what we are doing next soon enough.

best,
da

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Criterion has teamed up with Hulu Plus

quote:

Starting today, there are more than 150 of our most important films online on the Hulu Plus subscription service. Over the coming months, that number will swell to more than 800 films. For the true cinephile, this should be a dream come true. On Hulu Plus, you’ll find everything in our library, from Academy Award winners to many of the most famous films by art-house superstars like Ingmar Bergman, Akira Kurosawa, and Federico Fellini to films so rare that they have never been seen in the U.S. in any medium. Some of these lost gems have been so hard to see that even most of the Criterion staff will see them for the first time only when they go live on Hulu Plus! Each month, we’ll be highlighting a mix of programs, centered on themes, directors, actors, and other creative artists, as well as celebrity picks, and mixing them with deep cuts from the catalog that will be unknown to all but the most prominent cinephiles in the world.

Criterion has always been a company driven by its mission, not by any particular medium, and while we still see our core business as producing the world’s best DVD and Blu-ray versions of the world’s best films, this new venture with Hulu represents a huge expansion of our reach. Not only will Hulu users have access to the largest digital archive of Criterion movies for the first time, Hulu Plus subscribers will now be able to stream our films (and yes, before long, many of our supplements too!) on a wide array of devices, including iPhones, iPads, PlayStations, and Internet-connected television sets.

And finally, why Hulu? In short, because they get it. As their regular viewers know, the Hulu user experience is exactly what it should be: simple, elegant, and focused on the content. Hulu has built their brand on letting the shows and movies take center stage. Nobody does it better, and we’re honored that they see Criterion as a good match for their audience. We’re going to do all we can to make the experience of Criterion on Hulu Plus an exciting adventure for all of us, so please check it out and let us know what you think. (For more details on how it will work, here’s a blog post by Hulu’s Eugene Wei.)

http://www.criterion.com/current/po...ampaign+Monitor

http://www.hulu.com/criterion

I don't have Hulu Plus but hopefully they didn't put ads in the middle of the movies (at the beginning would be fine)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 15, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
And the site is already getting smashed into pieces.

Aren't the normal prices on there for a Blu-Ray around $30? Guess it would be good if you buy multiple things.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, the code is apparently working for pre-orders despite a warning coming up.

Not anymore :smith:

- edit I'm kind of disappointed it isn't giving 50% off everything. The BBS boxset is only down to $62.47

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 25, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space Cooter posted:

It's 50% off of the MSRP, not the website price - the prices listed on the website are already on sale so it wouldn't take off of that.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Still, I couldn't pass on 7 movies for $8.24 each.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Well, you guys have been complaining for more animated releases.

Can't wait to see what Criterion does with Freaknik: The Musical

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
That was strange (since this was the first email I have received from them since I ordered)

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for ordering from criterion.com.

You are receiving this email because you may have recently received an automatic message from our warehouse indicating that your order was cancelled. We apologize for any confusion. Please don't worry; your order has not been cancelled.

The earlier email was triggered because several titles have gone out of stock during our recent sale, and after a short window of time, orders that have not been filled are automatically canceled and notifications are sent via our warehouse's email system. However, we have records of all orders placed and will be re-posting them as soon as our warehouse restocks the sold-out items.

Your order will ship as soon as the items it contains are back in stock in our warehouse. Most items should be restocked by next week. If, for any reason, you would rather not wait for your order, please let us know and we'd be glad to assist you with a cancellation and refund.

We hope this information is helpful, and thanks for supporting Criterion!

Best,
The Criterion Collection

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Macrame_God posted:

Is I Am Curious any good? Forgive me if this sounds creepy, but for some strange reason I've been interested in films dealing with the subject of sexuality as of late and I've heard that "I Am Curious" is a famous picture that deals with the subject. However, I've also heard that it's one of the less-deserving of the Criterion titles so I just wanted to gauge where everyone else stood on the picture before I took the plunge.

If you haven't yet, check out The Unbearable Lightness Of Being.

I wish Warner would give them the rights back to it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Space Cooter posted:

On Monday Criterion will be giving away a goodie bag to one of their twitter followers (just be following them and retweet the post talking about it):

:allears: too bad I never win these kinds of things!

Goddamn, I want that. RT'ed the poo poo out of it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Anybody still waiting for their BBS boxset on Blu-Ray from the half off sale? I ordered almost two weeks ago and it still hasn't shipped (plus Criterion hasn't answered my email I sent them two days ago)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

bmmello posted:

Also includes Killer's Kiss.

I wonder if it is also in HD on the Blu-Ray edition. I remembering watching Killer's Kiss on MGM HD