Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kaujot posted:

Someone at CF.org says that Island of Lost Souls features a panther woman.

Ha, for some reason, the first thing I thought of when I saw that picture was the 1977 version of The Island Of Dr. Moreau

Island Of Lost Souls would make more sense.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I just grabbed Red Desert. Was going to get more but I can't justify rebuying Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (have it on HD-DVD) and I still have to finish working my way through The BBS Story boxset and watch The Last Emperor (which has been sitting on my shelf forever)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Yay, my Red Desert showed up today. :)
Boo, my Red Desert has an indent that slightly ripped the art. :(

Barnes And Noble uses the shittiest shipping packaging possible. It was my movie in the equivalent of a cardboard sleeve.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MauveTrousers posted:

Quick question: Does anyone have the Lady Eve Criterion? It's one of my favorite movies ever, and I never noticed that there was a Criterion of it, is it worth the $30 or should I wait for a half off sale? I realize it came out a while back, so there might not be too many people who grabbed it.

The half off sale is already going on and it has been marked down to $20

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
The BBS boxset is really nice considering the price. It uses paper cases.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Zogo posted:

Hasn't the Bluray of Godzilla been derided as being low quality?

The American one, yes.

A large chunk of the Godzilla series has already received a good release in Japan on Blu-Ray. Only problem is they don't have English subtitles.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1181538

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Jack Does Jihad posted:

I am super hype for Godzilla. It makes me wonder how different the picture quality will be from the previous release, especially given that both features are gunna be housed on one blu-ray.

The current Godzilla Blu-Ray is pure poo poo (1080i) and The Killing proved that Criterion can fit two movies on one blu-ray when they want.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

Are the differences in picture quality between a Criterion DVD and a Criterion Blu-ray great enough that I should wait until I have a Blu-ray player to buy House?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews48/hausu.htm

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

Also, I had Videodrome in my hand, but I put it down. Can anyone who has it tell me if it's worth upgrading from the DVD?

You should compare the screenshots from DVDBeaver. They review most of Criterion's releases.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare5/videodrome.htm

dvd =
blu =

dvd =
blu =

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

CPL593H posted:

The problem is that I don't have a Blu-ray player and I want to take advantage of the sale going on right now. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy the DVD and worry about the rest later or get the Blu-ray and wait a while. It's not like I want to watch this on a 19 inch CRT television. For the most part I've stopped making any video purchases at all because I'm just going to wait on getting the Blu-ray. But I really want to see House again.

Basic Blu-Ray players aren't that expensive anymore.

If you have your computer hooked up to your TV, you can watch House on Hulu Plus with their free trial to hold you over.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

kaujot posted:

Also, Hoop Dreams was shot on video. I was under the impression that video didn't transfer all that well to HD.

If they do release a Blu-Ray version, less compression on the SD video which won't be that noticeable. I also imagine that they would include a lossless audio track.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Crossposting from the Blu-Ray thread because this deal is just too amazing

Beauty And The Beast (1946) - $11.99

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ASIN=B004WPYO8I

Dead back to $22.99

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 21, 2011

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Since they have a working relationship with MGM now, think it could be Heaven's Gate? (I've never seen it so I am most likely wrong but I have been hoping it would pop up eventually)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
A new hint for May.

http://ow.ly/i/rw11

Anybody have any ideas of what it could be?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

FitFortDanga posted:

Criterion's sale clusterfuck has forced them to postpone the new announcements until tomorrow. But they posted another hint, apparently a still from Certified Copy.

I hope that they can get the rights to The Unbearable Lightness Of Being from Warner. The more Juliette Binoche on Blu-Ray, the better :swoon:

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

leokitty posted:

That is one of the movies that was bought by Lionsgate in 2010, I don't have much hope they'll be getting back any of the big chunk they lost in that sale. I'm pretty sure they're meant to be released as a part of the (so far rather disappointing) Studio Canal collection.

I'm still kicking myself for not grabbing The Tales of Hoffman when I snagged the other titles from that batch I wanted.

e: Honestly I'm not even sure what's going on with the SC Collection stateside, haven't heard much from them since the terrible Ran blu-ray I think

Was it? I thought that Warner had the rights to it from the multi-year deal they signed with The Saul Zaentz Company (which included One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Amadeus)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
La Haine, I imported that on HD-DVD a long time ago. I remember it looking pretty good, at the time, but I imagine Criterion's will look even better.

It will be a good rental.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

leokitty posted:

The point of Hoop Dreams on Blu-Ray would probably be getting people to upgrade for no real reason and would probably be successful.

They could probably include a loseless audio track and not compress the SD video as much. Not a massive upgrade but it should be a slight upgrade from the DVD.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Janus released a restoration clip of Children Of Paradise which they have given a 4K transfer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfiTGvbVpsg&feature=player_embedded

quote:

NOTE: This list is preliminary. Dates will added as they are confirmed.

March 9 - 27
New York, NY - Film Forum

March 10
San Francisco, CA - Castro Theatre

Spring 2012
Los Angeles, CA - Laemmle Theatres

May 11 - 17
Chicago, IL - Music Box Theatre
Seattle, WA - SIFF Cinema

http://www.janusfilms.com/paradise/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
It gets even better.

Three Reasons: Kindergarten Cop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwXwHR3mQ8c

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

robix smash posted:

Philip Kaufman in the closet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sMFHvBEvKI

Did they get Unbearable Lightness of Being back? Or The Right Stuff? Henry and June? Invasion of the Body Snatchers maybe? If there is one thing Criterion likes (besides samurais) it's low budget horror/thrillers. I can't see any of his newer films getting released.

I hope they were able to license The Unbearable Lightness Of Being back from Warner. They've been sitting on it for so long and I need a Blu-Ray :(

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Are there other CC movies that are just boring? (Subjective I know)

I think a fair number of Criterion movies would be thought of this way by most of the public.

Red Desert is a stunningly beautiful movie (and probably my favorite Criterion release) but it moves at a glacier's pace.

- edit And the trailer for it is hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uVPQG01JHk

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 26, 2012

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
(with advertisements)

BOO!

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

GrandpaPants posted:

Aren't those advertisements there with paid subscribers too?

Not with Criterion movies. If you pay, it's commercial free.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Do we have a standalone FilmStruck thread?

I just received a survey from them and it was talking about beta testing. So check your email if you signed up.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Unmature posted:

Filmstruck beta emails have gone out. That's all I'll say about that.

Got in.

And they seem to have picked me because I said I had a Fire TV. So that's cool. Glad it isn't like stupid Warner Archive who only have a Roku app.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Basebf555 posted:

Is PS4 on that list?

Beta only covers "Web/Online, iPad, Android Tablet, Apple TV, and Amazon Fire TV"

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Unmature posted:

The Filmstruck beta site is so terrible it's keeping me from wanting to watch anything on it. Not even just beta stuff, it's so poorly put together in ways that a decade of streaming should make obvious in the earliest stages.

Parallax posted:

I realized that every web thing TCM has tried to do is pretty piss poor so I'm not too optimistic about it. I just hope it gets a fair amount of stuff I want to watch and has a decent way of sorting through it

The Fire TV app is super good. I don't really understand why anybody tries to use streaming services on PC. The cost of entry is so low.

(this wasn't directed at unmature. i can understand using the pc when the testing platforms are limited)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jul 31, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
For the Filmstruck testers, they added a few more movies. So that's nice we aren't going to have a static library until launch.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Rollersnake posted:

Has there been any word on whether we might get more Dennis Hopper films now that there's been a Criterion release of Easy Rider? The only DVD of Out of the Blue that's in print is a lovely bootleg and The Last Movie has never had a DVD release at all.

Not Criterion but

https://vinegarsyndrome.com/shop/the-american-dreamer/

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
For the FilmStruck beta people, they added a good amount of new stuff. For the people that have to wait for launch, this is going to blow your pants off. I'm so hyped for the full release.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Unmature posted:

Any standouts?

I didn't really want to mention specific titles (you should really have platinum) but this one's already been spoiled on /r/criterion awhile ago. Stalker was added.

There's also a new Chantal Akerman collection and House was added to the horror collection.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Parallax posted:

Is there any reason you don't want to mention specific titles? I'm part of the beta but I don't remember any NDA or anything

I found TOS on some part of their site and it basically said 'we reserve the right to delete your account if you're caught sharing screenshots'. I'm just trying to play it safe since beta testers are going to get an unknown free amount of service after launch.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Hot drat, if only

E: are the sequels any good?

No. Even if you're the kind of person who likes sequels like Hellraiser 2 & 3.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Just got an email saying the FilmStruck beta is over but the service still seems to be working. So if you have anything you want to watch, do it soon (even though we're getting free FilmStruck at launch)

It's launching in October. I made a thread for it at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784434

(and totally off topic but I can understand why Kubrick was ashamed of Fear And Desire)

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Parallax posted:

It stopped working for me already, but I hope the website gets better by the time it launches because it's terrible. Movie selection seems nice though.

Yeah, the navigation is a million times better on the Fire TV app.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I read on another forum that FilmStruck is launching October 19th. And, I guess I'll just post this, I've seen something that's OOP on physical media with the first sign of including an audio commentary (even though I can't access it) #107 - Mona Lisa...also Eddie Muller did an host intro for it. Please don't spread any of this around

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 4, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Crossposting from the Blu-Ray thread.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Also I preordered Lone Wolf and Cub boxset (The Criterion Collection) at the $40 price mistake but decided I don't want it. If anybody missed out, PM me and I'll see if I can change the shipping address to yours. Then you can send me an Amazon gift card for the amount owed. Thanks.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

In the spirit of Halloween, what is everyone's favorite scary criterion? I personally like DePalma's Sisters.

I haven't seen many but my mind was blown by Island Of Lost Souls. It holds up so well for being 80+ years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I'm not really sure what long-rear end nips Diane is talking about. Alot of movies have supplements. There's no extras barrier between tiers. Just some movies have a bunch of extras. Some don't.

The frontpage is collections and (in terms of Criterion Channel) highlighting a specific movie. I don't think getting highlighted means that they'll have more extras.

The only difference between tiers is that Filmstruck is suppose to be a rotating catalog of movies from a variety of movie companies and The Criterion Channel is meant to be a more permanent collection.

According to /r/Criterion, these are the movies that have commentary available. Cocteau's Beauty and the Beast, Silence Of The Lambs, City Lights, Testament of Dr. Mabuse, The Thief of Bagdad, Stagecoach, Lord of the Flies, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Mona Lisa, The Player, Shoot the Piano Player. Which is pretty cool since Silence Of The Lambs and Mona Lisa are both OOP on physical media.