Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I bought Blast of Silence and the Rialto 10 pack which has Army of Shadows, Au Hasard Balthazar, Band of Outsiders, Billy Liar, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, Mafioso, Murderous Maids, Rififi, The Third Man, and Touchez Pas Au Grisbi. I'm gonna pick up Days of Heaven and The Friends of Eddie Coyle too, for sure.

Fuuuuuuck you B&N I don't have this kind of money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Short of including the recently found workprint with extra scenes,

What the gently caress, when did this happen?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Wow! Fancy that. Guess it does need a new DVD release.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I got Young Mr. Lincoln, The First Films of Sam Fuller, and The Friends of Eddie Coyle today on top of all the other poo poo I bought Tuesday. Fuuuuuuck this saleeeeeeeeee.

PS: The "Essential Art House" titles are like 8 bucks with a membership - meaning poo poo like Black Narcissus and The 400 Blows are now cheaper than Blade and Willow at the Walgreens sale rack.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I hope Wings of Desire isn't worth upgrading from the MGM DVD.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I love Wings of Desire so much but that's really not worth an upgrade. I'm still not sure why they decided to do that one and not something that hasn't been properly released like Room 666 or Lightning over Water

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

El Graplurado posted:

The Diary of a Country Priest, Ali: Fear Eats Soul.

I like the cut of your jib.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The Sam Fuller Eclipse set is great, if you're into that. I'd never seen Baron of Arizona before -- Vincent Price is perfect.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

LightsGameraAction posted:

What are some good Criterion sci-fi titles to pick up during the sale? I've already got Brazil, Vampyr, and Onibaba.

If you're willing to look past its (many) shortcomings as a film, Equinox is one of the most fascinating titles in the collection. Dennis Muren, who would later become the special effects man behind Star Wars, Close Encounters, and Jurassic Park, essentially filmed it in his backyard when he was a teenager. The extras are crammed with tributes from Harryhausen and Ackerman and Lucas and shorts and other glimpses of the genius on display. It's a great lesson in guerilla filmmaking and one of a few movies in the collection that really is a tribute to the joy of filmmaking.

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is a very fun, pretty cheesy/campy adventure movie on Mars with a monkey and Adam West.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Anyway, this time around I took you penismightier's advice and ordered Equinox

Word of advice: think of the whole two discs and the essays as a giant multi-media making of piece, with the film as a special feature. If you go in expecting a great film, you'll be disappointed; if you go in expecting an amazing story about the love of moviemaking, you'll be elated.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

One thing I can't remember them addressing on the Equinox dvd, though, is how much Sam Raimi was inspired by it to do Evil Dead - it's about a few kids who go into the woods, find a magic book, and unleash hell in the form of overly ambitious special effects work. A lot of fun.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I bought Shock Corridor, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, and The Furies. WHY AM I DOING THIS? THIS SALE NEEDS TO END.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'd imagine Modern Times and City Lights getting independent releases at least, but most of the others getting thrown together either in a box set or eclipse series or both.

If Eclipse gives me some nice collections of poo poo like One A.M. and The Rink I'll suck their dicks off.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Looks good, apparently.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews11/the_blob_.htm

I love that technicolor 50's stock. Everything looks like it's made out of candy.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

495: The Golden Age of Television

SPECIAL EDITION THREE-DISC SET

* The live kinescope broadcasts of Marty (1953), Patterns (1955), No Time for Sergeants (1955), A Wind from the South (1955), Requiem for a Heavyweight (1956), Bang the Drum Slowly (1956), The Comedian (1957), and Days of Wine and Roses (1958)
* Commentaries by directors John Frankenheimer, Delbert Mann, Ralph Nelson, and Daniel Petrie
* Interviews with key cast and crew, including Frankenheimer, Andy Griffith, Julie Harris, Kim Hunter, Richard Kiley, Piper Laurie, Nancy Marchand, Jack Palance, Cliff Robertson, Mickey Rooney, Carol Serling, Rod Steiger, and Mel Torme
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by curator Ron Simon and his extensive liner notes on each program

Holy poo poo this is AWESOME. I was just the other day lamenting the fact that I couldn't see the original broadcast of Requiem for a Heavyweight

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The more I think about the Television box set the more pleased I am. Pleased as punch. As punch!

It's the first thing in a while that feels like a really worthwhile release, instead of just some movie they dig (Downhill Racer, what are you doing??):

It's very very historically significant - you have career starters and highlights for tons of people, the ones they listed: John Frankenheimer, Delbert Mann, Ralph Nelson, Daniel Petrie, Andy Griffith, Julie Harris, Kim Hunter, Richard Kiley, Piper Laurie, Nancy Marchand, Jack Palance, Cliff Robertson, Mickey Rooney, Carol Serling, Rod Steiger, Mel Torme and also (off the top of my head) Paddy Chayefsky, Paul Newman, George Peppard, and Rod Serling.

It's something that's never had a good release (or even a release at all) before, and likely never would without them intervening.

And it's good as fuuuuuck. Live TV was crazy, so fast and energetic.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Anybody get Kagemusha yet? I want to but I'd feel dirty paying more than $13 for it now :(

I got the DVD and don't even have a blu-ray player but I want it for this:

“Image: Kurosawa's Continuity”, a new video piece that reconstructs Kagemusha through Kurosawa's paintings and sketches

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

gently caress me, the Rialto collection comes out to about $60 after discounts. This sale is going to break me.

I got that last go-round and it was the best decision I made. The lack of extras is such a good trade for 10 movies for the price of one and a half retail.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

When does this sale end? Is it still gonna be running when The Golden Age of Television drops at the end of the month?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Golden Age of TV comes out the 24th. Ohhh those sneaky fucks.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

That Hunger cover is fantastic. Gonna have to pull the trigger on it. I don't know anything about Make Way for Tomorrow or Revanche but both of those covers are really interesting.

Also for the record I was at the first screening of Hunger at Cannes 08 so y'all can suck a diiiiiiiick.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

McNutty: You have the best avatar on this entire forum, for the record.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Whoever was wondering about the Lincoln Center B&N, I was there last night. Place got wrongeddddddd. There's a ton of poo poo there, but it's mobbed and some big ones are sold out. I went in wanted to get House, Days of Heaven, and that Japanese noir boxset but all three were out of stock.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Jack Does Jihad posted:

If you meant the Japanese 1977 horror one, it's not out yet. Unless you meant House of Games or something.

It's not? Y'all had me so jazzed for it with that clip.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Today I learned that blind-buying The Human Condition when it was on sale was like the best thing I ever did.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

How often do y'all purchase poo poo without having seen it?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

What's wrong with blind buying? Most of my Criterions are blind-buys, but is it really objectionable to get The Third Man or Seven Samurai just from reading about them?

However, my blind-buys are always from sales.

Don't get all excited, I'm just curious.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Here we loving go! I had a feeling the announcements would come early this month!

#516 - STAGECOACH (Blu/2-disc DVD, May 25th)

* New, restored high-definition digital transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
* Audio commentary by noted western authority Jim Kitses
* Bucking Broadway (1917), a fifty-four-minute silent western by John Ford, with new music by Donald Sosin
* Extensive video interview with Ford from 1968
* New video interview with Dan Ford, biographer and grandson of the director, about Ford’s home movies
* New video interview with filmmaker Peter Bogdanovich
* New video essay by writer Tag Gallagher
* New video feature about Monument Valley
* New video interview with stunt coordinator Vic Armstrong about Stagecoach’s * stuntman Yakima Canutt
* Radio dramatization of Stagecoach from 1949
* Theatrical trailer
* PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by David Cairns and the short story that inspired the film

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEAH

Bucking Broadway, incidentally, is awesome. It ends with this huge cowboy brawl in a fancy midtown restaurant that's like the most absurd poo poo I've ever seen.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I don't really know what's overlooked, either. For all I know, these are like the best selling Criterions ever, but:

The Spirit of the Beehive A gorgeous, quiet, haunting little movie. Watch it if you liked Pan's Labyrinth.

Overlord One of my favorite WWII films. Some of the best use of stock footage in a narrative movie ever. Watch it if you liked The Thin Red Line.

Sid and Nancy Romeo and Juliet if they were heroin addicts. Watch it if you like, I dunno, Repo Man? Punk? British stuff?

Equinox All-in-all, the worst movie in the collection, but far and away the best DVD, and one of the best all-time tributes to the joy of filmmaking. Watch the commentaries, the interviews, the intros. Watch it all. It'll make you want to make a movie. Watch it if you like Evil Dead or the behind-the-scenes of low-budget filmmaking.

Coup de Torchon Noir in West Africa. Watch it if you like The Maltese Falcon, or want to see Isabelle Huppert's tits.

Blast of Silence One of the great pulp crime thrillers, and one of the first great independent films. A lot of fun, and incredibly fast-paced. Watch it if you liked Goodfellas or Pulp Fiction.

Tanner '88 Gary Trudeau at his peak and Robert Altman at his peak, in one of the great send-ups of American politics. Watch if you want to see a better version of Primary Colors.

Burden of Dreams Herzog. loving Herzog. Watch it if you like cool guy stuff.

Young Mr. Lincoln Henry Fonda as Lincoln. John Ford at his peak. Watch it if you like Mr. Smith Goes To Washington.

Green for Danger A really cool little British mystery. Alastair Slim, best known for his Scrooge, is priceless. Watch if you liked Murder on the Orient Express.

WR: Mysteries of the Organism Absolute madness. Watch it if you like absolute madness.

Robinson Crusoe On Mars Big, splashy Technicolor sci-fi with Adam West and a monkey. Watch if you like Forbidden Planet.

The Furies The King Lear of classical westerns. Watch if you like There Will Be Blood.

The Friends of Eddie Coyle One-of-a-kind Boston mob movie with Mitchum tearing poo poo up. Watch if you liked, I guess, The Departed.

I second F For Fake, For All Mankind, The Cranes Are Flying, and Simon Of The Desert, too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm still making my way through the set, but the Jean Painleve collection is surprisingly good. They're mostly educational films, but presented in such a fun and interesting way.

This set blew me away. Just incredible. I want the cover as a poster so loving bad, too.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

So does the last shot of Bigger than Life remind anyone else of the last shot of A Clockwork Orange?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I'm assuming that was a censorship-related ending, but Jesus it is sinister as hell. That kid is dead.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

For my money, Make Way for Tomorrow is even better than Tokyo Story.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Didn't watch them yet, but the essay from Tag Gallagher is pretty awesome. I like that chap.

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/1377-make-way-for-lucy

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

A sneak peek at the possible Chaplins we might be getting:

Cooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

I'm almost dreading when these come out, because then I'll have no money again ever.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

The movie or the disc? That movie's wonderful, if you haven't seen it.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Man this is a month and a half. Buying everything. The best part of Chaplin movies entering the catalog is finally after like 80 years they're getting nice posters.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

If they don't do it I'm just gonna steal a bunch of poo poo and call it even.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Robinson Crusoe on Mars is awesome, lighten up you stodgy whiners. It'll look fantastic on Blu-Ray, the colors are so vivid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

So is there any chance of Douglas Sirk Blu-Rays in the foreseeable future, or should I grab the DVDs while they're on sale?

penismightier fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 1, 2010