Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
So we're sure the man in drag isn't The Tenant? I haven't seen Cul de Sac but it's weird that two Polanski movies feature cross dressers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Mikey and Nicky? Sounds like something I'd like but am curious if it's worth a watch.
If you're at all a fan of John Cassavetes and/or Peter Falk it's a must-watch! It isn't directed by Cassavetes but it feels very much like one of his films. It's like the companion piece to Killing of a Chinese Bookie for me.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

More Mike Leigh! More Mike Leigh! I would love to see Criterion release a box set of his early TV films.

Also, Medium Cool is loving great and has been really hard to find until now. It's gonna look amazing on Blu-Ray.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

FitFortDanga posted:

Gotta be LOVE STREAMS!! Yay!! One of my favorite Cassavetes!
Wowza! This is the most excited I've been for a Criterion release in a long time.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

SATYRICON!!! Beautiful.

Also I hope this means Criterion will be releasing more of Godard's post-60's work.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

No word on Kings of the Road? I just recently watched that one and loved it. But of course The American Friend on Blu would be a must buy for me.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

The commentary with Gary Graver and Oja Kodar on F for Fake is wonderful. Terry Gilliam's track for Brazil is like a masterclass in filmmaking.
Yeah seconded, Terry Gilliam always does amazing commentaries, I'm sure The Fisher King will be no different. I also love Robert Altman's for 3 Women and Mike Leigh's for Naked, Peter Bogdanovich's for The Last Picture Show.

Non-Criterion, but Steven Soderbergh and John Boorman's for Point Blank is an all time favorite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_lnes7E4Ak

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

According to someone on CriterionForum, it looks like Criterion is working on a restored version of The World's Greatest Sinner.

Edit: posted here
That's what I'm talking about! I've always wanted to see that, this is what I wish Criterion focuses more on, extremely rare films that don't even have a DVD release. I understand they probably don't make as much dough on stuff like this, but the last thing I want from them is more loving Michael Bay or Wes Anderson movies.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Raxivace posted:

Only after the lost ending is found. :colbert:

The lost ending will never be found. :smith:
Only the ending? They actually deleted over 40 minutes of Welles' original footage, one of the great cinematic travesties.

Oh well, at least we might see The Other Side of The Wind.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

zenintrude posted:

Blind bought An Autumn Afternoon and, no surprises here, it's absolutely fantastic... I was already a huge Ozu fan, but seeing his color work in HD was an absolute joy to behold. Really wish Criterion would get off their asses and release Good Morning on Blu; Ozu's dramas are great and all, but I could really go for a comedy, too.
“Cinema is dead. It died in 1962, I think it was in October!” -Aki Kaurismaki

I think he said that because that was when An Autumn Afternoon was released, Ozu's last film.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

ThetaOmnikron posted:

Would love to catch a couple of these when they play by me. What are the essentials?
If you haven't seen any of them I would say Alice in the Cities, The American Friend, Paris, Texas, and Wings of Desire are all essentials.

If I could go I would be hitting up the Until the End of the World director's cut so hard.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

The Naked Island is excellent, highly recommended for those Japanese art house heads.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Looks like Criterion is also working on Multiple Maniacs/Pink Flamingos
Thank the trash gods! Maybe this means we'll eventually get Female Trouble and Desperate Living.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Trafic ownz bonez.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUCJK877J5Y

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Just found this great clip I had never seen. That shot from Mon Oncle with the long hose in the background and the smoke blowing is so Lynchian, you can clearly see the influence. An Eraserhead/Playtime double feature would be a grand idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW0bZBXJFZU

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

drat, Fantastic Planet on Criterion Blu-Ray! You won't even need hallucinogenic drugs anymore, although they do help.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

So the Bergman Blu-rays I don't yet have are: Summer Interlude, Summer With Monika, Smiles of a Summer Night, The Magician, and Cries & Whispers.

Which of those might I like if I loved Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Fanny & Alexander but was super cold on Persona and Autumn Sonata?
Smiles of a Summer Night is a safe bet, it's probably his most lighthearted and comedic film. Cries and Whispers is incredible but it might be too torturous for someone who didn't like Persona or Autumn Sonata.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

I just got my A Brighter Summer Day Blu Ray in the mail, it's a beauty.

The one time I've seen the film was from a terrible VHS rip with built in subtitles but I still knew it was a masterpiece, so I'm excited to see it the way it was meant to be seen.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

TCM and Criterion have made America great again.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Most likely this is Cat People (1942).
Hooray! Although Cat People is such a short movie you'd think they would package it with something else. It would be great to have a Jacques Tourneur/Val Lewton set with I Walked With a Zombie and Leopard Man.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

TrixRabbi posted:

If it's stuff to the brim with bonus features it'll be worth it.
That's what I figured. Hopefully this means they will be getting around to more Tourneur in the future though.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Safe Driver posted:

Just give me a big box of filth. I won't even wait for a John Waters Divine set to go on sale. Day one.
B-but Divine isn't in Desperate Living which is my favorite John Waters!

Nah, I will instantly buy any pre-Hairspray films they release.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

SubG posted:

And huh they have Juraj Herz' The Cremator (1969), which is probably his best film (and the score by Zdeněk Liška is one of my favourites as well). But not Morgiana (1972) or, like Ferat Vampire (1982).
I've only seen The Cremator but I absolutely adore it, I need to seek out more by him. His version of Beauty and the Beast looks amazing.

Two Worlds posted:

He seemed pretty happy with in when they showed it at Lincoln Center last year.

I would normally expect something like Mondo Trasho to be a supplement, like Killer's Kiss was when they released The Killing, but getting the music licenses would be insanely expensive. It's a shame, too, because that needs a restoration even more than Multiple Maniacs does. Waters brought his personal print of it to project last year, but it was so worn and brittle it wouldn't thread, so they showed a near-VHS quality digital version instead.

I suppose they could do an alternate soundtrack or something, but that would be a completely different movie.
The real dream would be to have Hag in a Black Leather Jacket, Roman Candles, and Eat Your Makeup as special features. I've always wanted to see them but they seem lost forever.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Slate Action posted:

Cat People (1942)
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
Valley of the Dolls
Blood Simple
Dekalog
This is my happening, and it freaks me out.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Fuuuuck, Michael Cimino died. I'm going to have to finally buy the Heaven's Gate Blu-Ray now.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Welp, so did Abbas Kiarostami
Yep, all the great directors are dying this year. Kiarostami was one of the best living, it's such a devastating loss for world cinema. If you have Hulu Plus they have a bunch of his films for viewing such as Close-Up, Taste of Cherry, The Wind Will Carry Us (which I will be watching tonight), Where Is My Friend's House?, and his final film Like Someone in Love. If you aren't familiar at all with him I'd say Close-Up is a good starting point.

"Film begins with DW Griffith and ends with Abbas Kiarostami." -Jean-Luc Godard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSDWtdJKrG0

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

One of the things that I'm now interested in seeing some day is a Yuriy Norshteyn collection, but like all things Soviet film, it's probably never happening due to licensing issues.

EDIT: Hell, even the Russians don't have a Blu-Ray of it, though they do have Vinni-Pukh on it now.
I'm still waiting with bated breath for The Overcoat, which has been in production since 1981. Has any film in history ever taken that long? For real though, Hedgehog in the Fog and Tale of Tales are two of my favorite animated shorts.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

The Tati set is the single greatest release from Criterion.

Only the John Cassavetes set tops it.
Right.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

gey muckle mowser posted:

I liked L'Avventura but yeah it's slow as hell, I can see how people would be turned off by it. I did not care for Red Desert though.

I'm thinking about heading to B&N again this weekend to pick up another title or two. Seconds looks interesting, anyone have thoughts on that? How is The Samurai Trilogy? Also considering a few upgrades, like F for Fake, Brazil, Scanners... poo poo this sale is going to take all my money.
Seconds is one of the best movies ever, don't read anything about it beforehand just watch it. John Frankenheimer was making classic after classic in the 60's and Seconds is perhaps his best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

I love A Safe Place and I've never heard anyone articulate why it's supposedly so terrible. I think if it was a French New Wave movie people would like it more, it's a quirky woman's exploration of her sexuality phantasmagoria. Tuesday Weld stares straight into the camera and Orson Welles does magic, what's not to like?