Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Has anyone here seen Bread & Chocolate? If ever a movie desperately needed the Criterion treatment it's this one. It's an italian film from 1973 starring Nino Manfredi and Anna Karina. A tragic comedy about in the vein of Chaplin stuff, or Life is Beautiful, about Italian immigrants in Switzerland. It's one of the best films I've ever seen. Some of the funniest scenes I've ever seen in my life are in this movie, as well as scenes that make me cry every time.

However, the DVD is atrocious. Pops and scratches and splicing errors, as if they dragged the film through the streets before the transfer. Subtitles, when you can even read them (they're printed on the print and fuzzy as hell) don't line up, or don't show up at all sometimes. I've seen this movie several times, it's one of my favorites, and I still have no idea what 25% of the dialogue being said is. I hope one day I can see this movie the way it was meant to be seen.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 11, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Asked about Bread & Chocolate on the Criterion Facebook page. No plans for it on the horizon. drat shame, as the DVD that exists of it is almost unwatchable. Phenomenal movie, though.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

doctor thodt posted:

This is awesome for some of the more expensive items:

Thank you SO much for this! Used it today (with my members discount) to get Post War Kurosawa for $25.72.

NYC goons, I went to the Union Square B&N. The sets I looked for but didn't see were Berlin Alexanderplatz, Late Ozu and Dusan Makavejev. They do have a pretty good collection though, with multiple copies of a lot.

If you're looking for any Eclipse sets, better get there soon, as it looks like they had only single copies of the sets they did have: the Mizoguchi one, Travels with Shimizu, Saura's Flamenco, Early Bergman, Silent Ozu, Kaurismaki, Malle Documentaries.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Just watched Pickpocket for the first time, and it blew me away. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen. I've added all of Bresson's other films to my Netflix queue that were available, and I'd really appreciate any recommendations of films similar to this one in vibe/minimalism. I've already seen a lot of recent minimalist stuff (like Kim Ki-Duk or Jarmusch films) so I more interested in ones around Pickpocket's time period. Forbidden Games is one that fits the vibe and time period that I also fell madly in love with.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

After hearing all the praise in this thread, I watched Make Way For Tomorrow tonight.

God drat.

Easily one of the best films I've ever seen, and probably the most 'modern' old film I've seen either. Not a surprise at all to discover afterward that this was a huge commercial failure, as I can't imagine many audiences back then that would want to sit through something as brutally honest as this. Very ahead of its time, and probably still ahead of its time. Also timeless as well. Everyone deals with these situations, whether as a teenager, parent, or grandparent.

Alright, that's all for now. I'm gonna go hug some random old people in the street.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

FitFortDanga posted:

edit: someone at cf.org suggested Broadcast News which would work, but doesn't seem like something Criterion would release.

Broadcast News would actually make a lot of sense. The DVD of it is notoriously atrocious. It's a 1.33:1 with the top, bottom, and sides cut off to make it 1.85:1, AND it's non-anamorphic.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Space Fish posted:

Having recently finished the "Samurai" trilogy about Musashi Miyamoto, I would love to see what Criterion could do with a blu-ray rerelease. On the dvd case, I see the "package design and summary" are copyright 1998. The disc artwork is copyright 2004, with the 4-page booklet not giving any of the usual lip service to Criterion's exhaustive restoration processes or dual-layer transfer, instead crediting "authoring and compression."

The lack of picture purification is apparent in the video quality: bright scenes are kinda fuzzy and there are constant spots and scratches. The trilogy was nonetheless wonderful, and a high-def restoration would be a godsend to the samurai genre. Criterion ought to revisit this series, including finding better essays than Bruce Eder's plot summarizing.

I love that trilogy so much, but I've been nervous about buying it because I figure Criterion will remaster it at some point. You're right about the video quality, it's definitely lacking. Here's hoping a better print than what they used even exists. Gorgeous movie.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Comparison between the new Thin Red Line blu-ray and the DVD. They're like night and day: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews37/thin_red_line.htm

DVD Beaver posted:

I can safely say that I have a new 'demo' disc for my system! The Criterion is advertised as "New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised and approved by director Terrence Malick and cinematographer John Toll" and I have no reason to doubt how authentic it looks to the original theatrical appearance. It pummels the DVD in all important visual areas - from detail (significantly brighter image on the 1080P Blu-ray) to accuracy of colors, from grain to contrast. This is, now, one of the best looking discs that I own with kudos to John Toll.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Bullets Over Broadway and Mighty Aphrodite aren't anamorphic either. And even Allen movies that are anamorphic tend to have awful transfers. Woody Allen movies would be a good fit for Criterion, especially as an Eclipse Series, with just some essays and no real special features.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

FitFortDanga posted:

I feel like this is something really obvious, but I'm drawing a blank.

Obviously it's Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Origami Dali posted:

I liked Enter the Void to a point, but I can see why they wouldn't release it. I've always hoped they would pick up the rights to I Stand Alone, though.

I could see them doing an Eclipse set with I Stand Alone and his various short films. Maybe Irreversible too.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

I don't think Noe's filmography or stature warrants an Eclipse release.

Why not? He's done a bunch of shorts that aren't easily available to see, plus his work lends itself to essays. And I think there would be interest. If not an Eclipse set than at least a regular set.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

I'd like to see them release some Bill Plympton stuff. The man doesn't get enough love. Took like 6 years for Hair High to come to DVD.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

bowmore posted:

What's the deal with the eclipse series? Are they worth it?

I fell in love with a bunch of directors from Eclipse sets: Akerman, Shimizu, Makavejev. And the movies that come out under Eclipse, a lot of them have never even seen DVD releases, or even VHS in some cases. It's really fun to digest many films by one director in this way. Especially with someone like Akerman who has directed so many movies, the majority of which you can only see in museums if you're lucky.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

I noticed the Teshigahara 3-film set has a very similar looking spine to the Eclipse sets. Next to my Eclipse sets on the shelf, I sometimes forget it isn't one. Does anyone here know if there are other Criterion sets with spines that look like that, or is that the only one?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

:siren: Goons who live in NY, MA, MS, CA or CO: The Criterion 50% off sale has begun again, sort of, kinda:

Through 3/16/11, save 50% off any one item at select B&N store locations:
http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/email/2011/03/Coupons/0314_mem_coupon.gif

Edit: the barcode isn't appearing. If you're a member, you should've received an email about this coupon, though!

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Mar 14, 2011

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

bmmello posted:

Solondz's Life During Wartime is coming. I didn't really like it, though I haven't seen Happiness.

Oh, and that explains the Michael K. Williams closet video.

I really hope this means they may put out Happiness in the future. That poor movie has been confined to non-anamorphic hell for far too long.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

penismightier posted:

I thought this was supposed to be terrible?

Yeah I'm quite surprised about that one as well. It's really bad. Figured IFC would put it out, since it's theirs.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Solaris looks like a pretty awesome upgrade: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare5/solaris.htm

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Best way I've heard 'The Thin Red Line' described is a poetic Japanese film about American soldiers. Which is all the more ironic and interesting since the American soldiers are fighting the Japanese in the movie.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The Human Condition is pretty anti-war.

That sentence reads as both a great film recommendation and a profound statement.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

It should be said that the essays included in the Eclipse sets are often really great, as to be expected from Criterion. I don't ever feel gipped with an Eclipse set because of lack of extras.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

zeroordie posted:

The sale is live now; some titles don't show the discount but I've found that adding them to your cart usually fixes that. For the time being, there are two 15% off codes you can use online:

L7C8F9D
T9P8A9P

Just used these for Le Trou and Last Days of Disco. Thanks a lot!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

penismightier posted:

You are all about that movie, huh.

Yeah, I love it. Haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it a few weeks ago!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Can't wait for Leningrad Cowboys! The Proletariat Trilogy is my most watched Eclipse set.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Egbert Souse posted:

FYI, my B&N stuff shipped yesterday except for The Music Room. Is anyone else having delays?

I'm also waiting on The Music Room. Ordered it a few days ago, hasn't shipped yet either.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Wow, I just watched Pale Flower on blu-ray and absolutely fell in love with it. This was the first Japanese film of that time period that I'd ever seen on blu. It floored me. I don't know if the story itself is for everybody, but the look of the film, I can't imagine someone not being moved by. I very much recommend it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Space Fish posted:

Rushmore coming to blu hell yeah

Still my favorite Wes Anderson flick.

Awesome! Would've preferred to see Royal Tenenbaums or Life Aquatic get the blu treatment first, since both are a lot more detailed and intricate visually, but I'll be upgrading this one for sure.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Hector Beerlioz posted:

So the other day I was in line at Borders looking for some good deals with their going out of business sale. As I was in the checkout line I spotted Aki Kaurismäki’s Proletariat Trilogy in the bargain bin for 25% off. I figured what the hell and got it on an impulse buy. I've never seen any Kaurismäki before (I think my only experice with him was when he was interviewed on that Ozu documentary that came with Tokyo Story) so I really have no idea what to expect. Is there one I should watch first, or should I just start with the first one in the box? Also, how representative are these of his other work?

Match Factory Girl is the most depressing of those three. It has its comedic elements, but it's very dark. Shadows in Paradise is the lightest of the three. Ariel is kinda in the middle, and probably my least favorite of the three. I'd say go Shadows in Paradise, Match Factory, then Ariel.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Just switching to grayscale, and not even adjusting brightness/contrast, it already looks 10x better:

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Robert Denby posted:

File name is wacky_skinnycows.jpg. No idea.

Obviously Kung Pow: Enter The Fist.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

My first purchases of the sale:

Leon Morin, Priest (blu) - Watched this last night, absolutely fell in love with it. Instantly my favorite Belmondo performance, and my favorite Melville movie. It's probably not for everyone, but it really resonated with me. The visuals are sometimes incredible, but I wouldn't say you necessarily need to purchase this on Blu. This film is way more about the dialogue/acting than anything else.

Beauty and the Beast (blu) - One of the most beautiful movies ever, so I had to upgrade my DVD copy. Really looking forward to watching this again.

Leningrad Cowboys Eclipse Set - Huge Kaurismaki fan, adore his other Eclipse set, and I haven't seen any of this stuff yet. So I'm very excited. I just saw Le Havre, and that was amazing.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Oh man... B&N just sent out a 20% off coupon to members, good until 11/6. Looks like I'll be buying more!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I really loved Les enfants terribles, and I'd like to pick up another Jean-Pierre Melville. The one's I'm most interested in are Le Samourai and Army of Shadows. Is there a clear winner here?

'Leon Morin, Priest' is probably the closest to Les Enfants Terribles of any of his movies. It's got the same sort of extreme sexual tension and impossible love thing going on. And it's not a heist or a noir or anything.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Archyduke posted:

I've heard this from several people and I'm sort of curious why people seem so hostile to it. I like '...Meet Moses' quite a lot, and sort of feel like it's a successful blend of the deadpan slapstick of '...Go America' and the more bleak, bathetic humor of the Proletariat Trilogy.

Just watched 'Meet Moses' last night, and didn't like it very much. There are some laugh-out-loud moments but I felt like it lacked the charm and feel-good vibe of 'Go America', which has become an instant favorite of mine. I could watch that movie 100 times.

Also, I think a lot of 'Meet Moses' went over my head. I don't really know much about the Old Testament so I didn't get most of those references, and I didn't understand why he stole the statue's nose, etc.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Oh god, Tiny Furniture. That's gotta go on the short list of worst movies Criterion has ever put out.

Really excited for Three Outlaw Samurai though. The clips looks great.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Was gonna ask this in the Recommendation thread, but I figure I'll get a better answer here:

What's a good place to start with Fassbinder? I tried Marriage of Maria Braun and wasn't really into it. But I figure there's some stuff of his I might like, being that he made 40 movies.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Friedpundit posted:

Pickup on South Street is not necessarily better than those picks, but it's another solid noir worth considering.

Definitely seconding this. That movie is so much fun. And I just watched Shock Corridor tonight, which is also by Fuller, and I really dug that one as well. It's kind of a Twilight Zone-y film noir.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

The new Branded to Kill blu-ray looks absolutely gorgeous: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare11/brandedtokill.htm

Such a drastic improvement over the DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Are you guys B&N members? Because I am, and I get everything next day or 2-day at the very latest. It's worth becoming one for the free shipping, plus the 10% discount on everything.