Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
You know it's a bad month for cover art when the Eclipse Set is the best-looking of the bunch. Coincidentally, that's the only title I'm really looking forward to. Been meaning to explore Downey Sr.'s work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

mod sassinator posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Mikey and Nicky? Sounds like something I'd like but am curious if it's worth a watch.

One of my very favorite films. I love A Woman Under the Influence, but I personally prefer Mikey & Nicky.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
There are a couple genuinely witty lines and line readings in Tiny Furniture, but the vast majority of the jokes fall flat, the story is bad, the pace is boring, etc. I do think Lena Dunham has potential, but she's just not there yet. Maybe her show 'Girls' will be good, who knows.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Samurai Trilogy is a definite buy for me. I love those movies so much. There's a line from the first one that is one of my favorite movie lines of all time: "A house without love is a living death."

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The new titles haven't been put up yet on here, but they're up on the site: http://www.criterion.com/library/expanded_view?f=1&s=release_date

I'm stoked for July. I'm a huge Whit Stillman fan, so I'll definitely be upgrading my copies of Metropolitan and Last Days of Disco, plus Le Havre was one of my favorite movies I saw last year.

Here's hoping they put out Barcelona sometime soon!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Wow. Talk about an upgrade. The Samurai Trilogy looks better than I ever could have expected: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/samuraii.htm

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I gotta admit, 9/11 was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Which is a shame, because it's definitely a beautiful cover. I wish I could appreciate it for what it is and not see that when I look at it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

caiman posted:

Why? Why should we search for coincidental correlations between 9/11 and COMPLETELY UNRELATED things?

The 'falling man' image is probably the most iconic 9/11 image, aside from shots of the planes going into the buildings. Any way you slice it, its an odd choice of inspiration for a cover of a film that has nothing to do with 9/11.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Origami Dali posted:

The cover lifts the image directly from the movie. Just because it reminds people of something doesn't mean it's actually inspired by it.

Alright, I was confused then. I didn't remember that shot from the movie, it's been a long while since I've seen it. That's why I thought it was so strange.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
On the topic of Criterion making us sad, what would you all put on the list of the absolute saddest Criterion films? I can't watch Make Way For Tomorrow or Black Orpheus without tearing up.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:siren: The Buy Two Get One sale is over at 02:59 AM ET online and it ended yesterday in store. Those debating between titles should choose quickly. :ohdear:

Thanks so much! Found out about this just in time, and was able to get: Samurai Trilogy, Robert Downey Sr. Eclipse Set, and Last Temptation of Christ.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Edit: Anyone seen Three Outlaw Samurai? I'm a big fan of Sword of Doom and The Samurai Trilogy and other stuff like that. Do you think I might like it?

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 11, 2012

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I cant believe Le Havre comes out a DAY after the sale ends. Now I'll have to wait until November to pick that one up.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Has there ever been any hints as to a Criterion release of Barcelona? It feels like a no-brainer release. And the DVD is out of print. Come on guys, complete the trilogy. :(

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

The DVD is back in print through Warner Archive. Which doesn't rule out a Criterion release, but Warner's has always been the least likely to license to Criterion.

Did not know it was back in print. Thanks!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I've never seen Heaven's Gate but the shots I saw from it in that Z Channel documentary looked pretty gorgeous. I probably won't blind-buy it, but I'm looking forward to seeing it on blu-ray.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

kaujot posted:

I really can't describe how ecstatic I am about Blacktop coming out in Blu.

Amen. Just a shame it comes out a few days after my birthday...

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Does anyone know exactly when the B&N sale starts up again this November?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

friendo55 posted:

I've been browsing the last few pages of this thread looking for this very answer myself.
Normally it's a 2-3 week period during November, but I haven't found any dates confirmed. I can't wait much longer to get my hands on the bluray of In The Mood For Love.

I know this has been discussed in the past, but what are some Criterion DVDs that are worth blind-buying that won't be getting the bluray upgrade anytime soon?
Off the top of my head, I've been mulling over Shoot the Piano Player and The Bad Sleep Well.

I dunno if there's been any talk about All That Heaven Allows getting an upgrade, but if not, that one's a great blind-buy.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

leokitty posted:

But...but I can't get to any of the local B&N. Hurricane Sandy :negative:

Amen. So close... yet so far away.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Went a little Pre-Order crazy:

Rashomon (Love it, haven't seen it in a while, eager to see it on blu-ray)
Trilogy of Life (Haven't seen any of them, but all the stills I've seen have been way up my alley)
Heaven's Gate (Haven't seen it, but I absolutely adore Vilmos Zsigmond, so I know I'll be mesmerized on at least one level)
Purple Noon (I adore Delon, and Forbidden Games is one of my favorite movies ever)
Eclipse Series 37: When Horror Came To Shochiku (Japanese Eclipse sets haven't failed me yet)

Ones I'm intrigued by and might get later: Le Notti Bianche, Spirit of the Beehive, La Promesse. Anyone have thoughts on any of those three?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

SubG posted:

I think it's always interesting when Criterion adding a film doesn't immediately catapult a title to the `mainstream film snob' vernacular. Like I would've laid money that Max Ophüls was suddenly going to become a part of everyday online film discussion the same way Jean-Pierre Melville did when Criterion started pushing his films.

Stumbled on an unexpected Ophüls shout out recently: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59451

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

GrandpaPants posted:

It looks like they took pre-orders off the sale.

Looks like my pre-orders all got in before they changed the price. Here's hoping they don't cancel the order.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
So, I just absolutely devoured the Moral Tales box set. Adored everything on it. Where do I go from here? What films of his should I check out next? I'm feeling withdrawals already.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Oh man that's good news.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
The ITV blu-ray of Colonel Blimp looks stunning: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare2/colonelblimp.htm

Can't wait for the eventual Criterion upgrade!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Hewlett posted:

Another great Pennebaker (i.e. the only one I've seen) is Monterey Pop, a great rock festival doc about the titular 70s concert.

Also Don't Look Back, which isn't a Criterion release, but is mandatory Pennebaker.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

El Graplurado posted:

My dumb opinion says all the Eclipse sets run the spectrum of v. good to great, and seem like the only interesting "important classic and contemporary films" they are putting out these days. It's just a pity the back catalogues of the filmmakers, studios or movements chosen are reduced to the few films in them, and that's all that are championed and remembered.

I'm dying for a second Akerman set. There's so much great stuff by her that has never been given a proper release.

Edit: Case in point, J'ai faim, j'ai froid (1984), which was homaged in The Dreamers.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 16, 2013

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
For those of you looking for a random Eclipse set to take a plunge on, I just watched the first film in the Jean Gremillon set, Remorques (Stormy Waters), and the set is worth buying for it alone. Easily one of the best films I've ever seen in my life. It does more in 84 minutes than I ever thought could be done. Perfect blend of action, romance, tragedy, drama. This was my first Gremillon film and my jaw is stuck to the floor right now. Can't wait to watch the other two.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

a radii hike posted:

Funny, a more accurate translation of the title would be Towropes, which should resonate with you. I was really impressed with as well, it reminded me of another one of my favorite films, Only Angels Have Wings.

I've seen four of Grémillon's films now, and as far as direction is concerned, he's as good as any other director from that period. Absolutely world-class.

Haha, wow. I love when I hear the actual translation of a title and it's phenomenally better. I remember when I learned Bin Jip doesn't even mean 3-Iron, it means Empty House, I was floored. Title went from terrible to brilliant instantly.

Never saw Angels, I'll check that one out soon. Thanks for the rec!

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Biff Rockgroin posted:

Okay, I'm looking to buy one more, possibly two.

The Devil's Backbone
The Killing
The Ballad of Narayama
Cronos
Two Lane Blacktop
Harakiri
Salo
Kagemusha

Are any of these "must-haves"? They're all blind buys with the exception of Kagemusha, which I watched years ago when I was 15 or 16 and remember not liking, but I feel like if I watched it now I'd probably love it.

The Killing. Absolutely The Killing. Plus Killer's Kiss is good too, and on there, in case you didn't know. But The Killing is seriously my favorite Kubrick. It's the only one of his movies I can always be in the mood for.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

friendo55 posted:

Also, and I'm sure I've asked this in the past, does anyone have any personal favourites you don't hear enough about?

Cria Cuervos all the way. One of my favorite movies ever.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

friendo55 posted:

I found an Ontario seller on amazon.ca that had Cria Cuervos & Ratcatcher on sale so I grabbed those too - codyclarke sold me on Cria Cuervos. It's worth it to get them quick from a Canadian seller for $4-$5 extra vs waiting a month from B&N!

Nice! Enjoy. Be sure to report back with your thoughts.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
In this Kickstarter video for Charlie Kaufman's new film Anomalisa, they use a cover for the Criterion of Being John Malkovich that I've never seen before. Does anyone know if this was a scrapped cover for it? If so, I like it better than the one they went with. Or, maybe it was just a fan-made cover they found on Google Image Search or something. Anyway, anyone seen it before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJnOwVAA9tg

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Absolutely cannot wait for Breaking the Waves. My favorite Von Trier aside from Dogville, and I've only ever seen it non-anamorphic.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Detective No. 27 posted:

Do the bluray releases get the same essays that previously released DVDs do? I found the leaflet in The Life Aquatic's bluray pretty anemic to the books in most of the others I have.

They usually do. That's unfortunate. Maybe they just used the one from the DVD a while back, and that one was bare too?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
This is one of the first months in a while where I want every single release. (Probably won't get every single one, but I want em all.)

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Whit Stillman thinks a Criterion release of Barcelona might be on the horizon:

@WhitStillman posted:

Ahoy @OfficialPodcast WBshop no longer carries Barcelona which must mean the @Criterion is near

https://twitter.com/WhitStillman/status/649332929194233858

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
RIP Chantal Akerman. She was my favorite Criterion discovery. Her Eclipse set, and Jeanne Dielman, blew me away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Dr.Caligari posted:

Brief Encounter was really something. Are the other features on the "David Lean directs Noel Coward" worth the purchase price of the set?

I've only see Blithe Spirit, which is a fun one. Margaret Rutherford rules, and absolutely steals the show.