Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I don't see much of a point to that except for charge cooling perhaps.
Not blowing the engine apart from preignition. With all the heat left in the cylinder plus the additional compression heat of being turbocharged, it's really easy to get detonation if you're running stoichiometric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A giant slot car that you ride in. And it is loving awesome.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Kotaru posted:

Its um computer chipped for extra performance. :downs:

I hate when they "enhance" the sounds of these videos; How many gears does that camaro have?

It's the Vin Diesel special, 900 gears!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

e- this has been posted, but here's the best sounding drag car ever, and it's not a v8. If you could sell the sound of Hell, here's what you'd be selling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQcMlJmz2Zs

Man, those rotaries are also a hellacious assault on the ears. At Speed World we get guys in their V8 cars, and I'm talking full-on blown nitro-powered big blocks, and the sound can't hold a candle even to the built 2-rotors running there.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

angryhampster posted:

What's the red car stopped behind the camaro? Is that a Ferrari 355?
From here:

Michael Bay posted:

I also was at a Ferrari charity event this week raising money for a hospital being built by Ferrari in Haiti. I announced that night the newest Autobot to join Transformers: the Ferrari 458 Italia.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, those resin-impregnated fiberglass body panels don't really add much to the car's structure. For reference, here's a drivable rolling chassis from a C6:

The A and B-pillars are really the only structural bits visible in the finished product, everything else is just looks and aerodynamics. And yes, you could install seats and restraints in this, fire it up and drive away.

\/I don't think so at all\/

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 14, 2010

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

metalhead posted:

Rhys Millen put up his Brazil climb attack video in the Genesis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brWZb4TYp24

Drifting.jpg

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Clicked that expecting something similar to that skateboarding car posted a while back. Got something far, FAR better. I just wanna see what happens when they go WOT on that thing.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dual exhaust ports maybe? Doesn't look long enough to have 24 cylinders, at least not at that displacement, and it certainly sounds like a big V12. It actually sounds a lot like the relatively puny 27-liter Merlin V12,

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hippynerd posted:

flexibility

It's no lie, drunks have a lower injury rate in accidents just due to not tensing up as much in an accident. Combination of outright relaxation and slower recognition of what's about to happen.

Content: 4G63 rail dragster runs a 7.14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj-u8FUmISA

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

puppet pal mitch posted:

Haven't people tried this? I remember reading something about why this wouldn't work, or why hasn't worked in the past. Maybe it wasn't more complicated than 'too many people died,' though, I can't remember.

Considering that just removing the restrictor plates from Sprint Cup cars in NASCAR would result in 230+ mph speeds at the superspeedways, I doubt any more justification is needed. Imagine NASCAR displacements with F1 aerodynamics and WRC-refined forced induction; sounds like a recipe for disaster even if you're just doing time trials, let alone wheel-to-wheel racing.

Besides, half the fun is seeing how the teams get around the restrictions in place to gain the edge on their competition.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Wanna buy that cop a beer.

Off-duty, of course.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

c355n4 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jSYiU-JdRw

Holy crap. Nice save by Higgins here. The passenger is either scared shitless or has no idea what just happened.

That was pretty cool when it was posted on the last page.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

had to watch that at the office with no volume, loving hilarious.
In other news, I think the Top Gear Interns are onto us. (Which one of you work there?)

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/dragster-fail-2011-06-21

Couldn't have been a goon, that link is from Ebaums.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Scientist posted:

"Now with one less door, for .... inexspensiality cheapedness so it dont cost so much SAFETY!"

what happens if the person on the left needs to get out but there's a person sitting on the right said and even someone riding bitch?

I hate Korean cars SO MUCH; probably beyond what is even warranted.

Now recall that minivans did the same thing for about 20 years, and this was before they were roughly the size of Manhattan and had space to walk around inside.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Legdiian posted:

Guy on motorcycle hits the brakes a little too hard before corner.

http://youtu.be/Q_u47bPVeVc

I actually said "Holy poo poo!" out loud.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Throatwarbler posted:

My brain is not capable of understanding automatic transmissions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQhzruw2Qh8

Those are just basic Simpson gearsets tied together, try and wrap your mind around a Ravigneaux gearset sometime. 1 ring gear, 2 suns, 2 sets of planet gears on one carrier.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kimbo305 posted:

One of the most American Foxbody drivers isn't even American:
http://jalopnik.com/5859267/watch-a-mustang-drift-its-way-up-a-hill-climb
Goddamn he's putting on a show.

That is the best sounding 5.0 I've ever heard. Dear lord. (That is a 5.0 right?)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

jamal posted:

evo encounters a pileup on a slippery highway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhVGeIgLdlI&list=UU_tIrDZ2eBUIhFEr9gsmQ6Q&index=1&feature=plcp

ricer idiot posted:

Im just happy I didnt rear end that van.
Because I dont have a crash beam lol
Why the gently caress do people think this is an acceptable thing to do? Yeah, I've removed one of the most important parts of the crash absorbing structure on my car, but hey, now I can fit a fully sick IC up there bro!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ziploc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI9lhA9dlEw

Oh man. The old days of cornering.

A 455ci V8 delivering 320 HP. And this was before unleaded fuels and emissions equipment. What the hell?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

2ndclasscitizen posted:

He wasn't making a point about raw track figures, he was giving driving impressions of a supercar from the pov of someone who is used to much faster bikes.

Yeah, but the SLS isn't really a supercar per se. Expensive and ostentatious, sure, but put it next to an R8 or Mclaren and it's really a whole different beast. It's not really meant for raw speed like those, or the bike, now that I think of it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

peepsalot posted:

That's great, but what was his lap time :colbert:

About 6 minutes :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh how far we've come:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jmIzyMcPAw
Max D being... well, Max D. I was at this show, and it's one of the best freestyles I've ever seen. Flips n poo poo start at 1:45.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Muffinpox posted:

The clutch is mounted on the engine in the front and runs via torque tube to the transmission in the rear.

Are the handles for the hatch and hood close to each other? It looked to me like he just grabbed the wrong one by mistake.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lord Gaga posted:

Hemi is a bullshit marketing term and has nothing to do with hemispherical heads. So if by return you mean "get named the same thing to sell more dodge rams despite not being similar" then yea it returned.

No see it means something it stands for HIGH ENERGY MULTIPORT INJECTION so it is totally legit OKAY?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeticopter posted:

He didn't enter the grid when the marshal waved him on. He waited because he was mistakenly in 6th instead of 7th, but the marshal probably didn't know that so in his mind he forfeited his spot then and there. It's somewhat understandable since releasing 70+ cars onto the track can be pretty chaotic, the marshal can't be expected to know certain special circumstances for each individual car. I mean, if you don't go when he tells you to go, you can't expect him to walk over, have a conversation about how your grid placement is wrong and you want to be honest and not start ahead of where you qualified, because in that time you're holding up everyone else who's waiting to race, many of whom have invested a great amount of time and money to be there. The driver was just kind of an ignorant new driver, and didn't realize if you don't play by the SCCA's or whoever's rulebook they will gently caress your day up.

Thing is, I seem to remember the last time that vid was posted someone saying that had he gone in the incorrect position, he would have been flagged back to last place anyway for a false start. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

VikingSkull posted:

The cylinder heads alone are pretty outstanding, I remember reading that when it was introduced they were the best flowing V8 cylinder heads ever put on a production engine.

You can get 1,000hp out of the Hemi just like if it was an LS series engine. It's a really stout piece.

Shame they only put it in 4,000+lb slabs of 'Merican steel.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh, no doubt it's got the best singing voice.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Chinatown posted:

I assume the method of fixing it is much like a SNES cartridge.

Bit tough with a full facial helmet.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lowclock posted:

I think I like this better than those Ken Block videos particularly because the ground isn't covered with tire marks from the last 20 takes.

Not to mention the sound. I love an overboosted 4, don't get me wrong, but something about a high-torque, high-revving N/A V8 is just fantastic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Legdiian posted:

Road rage between a car and a bunch of street bikes. It amazes me that people on bikes are so unaware of how fragile they are. Take his plate or follow him home, but purposely driving inches from his car and repeatedly speeding up to challenge him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXPb3nnqdDo

Goddamn, they were riding IN his lane at the start, invading his car's space, and then at the end off the video they're calling HIM a crazy rear end in a top hat?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ApathyGifted posted:

If this is the case, then why does the sideboard go down nearly the entire length of the car? There's a reason planes only have the rudder at the back - in the front it actually makes side-slip problems worse, in the center it adds no torque. Only a rear-mounted vertical stabilizer works, and the further back, the better (because it can be smaller, and create less drag/weigh less).

My best guest would be because when it does go sideways, it creates a huge force towards the inside of the turn to help with turning, instead of causing the car to straighten out and head right at the wall, like what happens when the tires start to grip again when counter-steering. In fact, since that thing doesn't seem to be balanced to have the center of pressure aft of the CG, I'd bet the "helps move the car into the turn" is actually what they're aiming for. When turning left, the results are the same as a vertical stabilizer - gets the car moving where you're aiming it, by creating a thrust force in that direction, and a drag force against the side-slip direction.

One thing to note: a plane yaws around its aerodynamic center. A car, however, has its front end anchored by the front wheels, so in the case of the sprint car, everything behind the front axle would swing to the right, and the sideboard would be pushed back to the left along its entire length - no counter-force back to the outside to destabilize things. Drag and mass of the board really aren't concerns either, since the aero benefit of a larger surface far outweighs those negatives for a ground vehicle.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

InitialDave posted:

They should probably throw away whatever else they've done so far, slap some plates on that thing, and call it.

That was the original plan. It was originally designed to be the NSX successor, in an FR layout for Super GT reasons iirc. It got canned before production prototypes ever saw the light of day, though, so all we ever saw was the racecar version.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah, pretty much.

Here, have another 10 minutes of candy you can never buy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCqY-vAX4EA

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hello Spaceman posted:

The world's fastest pram. It has 10 horsepower.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgZCk7tMOYc

Colinfurze is the AIest motherfucker in England.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Muffinpox posted:

Head stud failure probably, if you cram enough boost into things without upgrading the studs enough the head can get pushed off and go flying.

Yup, a friend of mine had it happen to his SVO a few years back. Hit peak boost in second and stretched every single head bolt, dumping oil and coolant all over the road.

He upgraded to ARP studs after that. :D

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Colin Furze just set another world record for World's Fastest Pram.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba24BJ7eS6I

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God drat, two critical pieces of battlefield infrastructure grounded in an instant. Hope that was just a training exercise and not in a combat theater.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I got a wave-through of a different sort once. I was waiting in a narrow median to turn left into the traffic flow with a few friends in the car, and one of my coworkers pulled his car into the median as well, completely blocking my view of oncoming traffic, while he was simultaneously stuck behind me so he couldn't go either. (We were angled about 45 degrees towards traffic.) He waved me forward, and I pulled into the near lane -- and got clipped by a pickup truck at full speed. Ripped the front bumper off and jacked the RF fender up pretty good; a few feet farther forward and it would have been a full side-swipe, endangering my passengers and the other truck (who didn't stop, either). Thankfully insurance covered the repair, but since then I've had a pathological fear of any median that isn't long enough to fit my whole car lengthwise, i.e. I won't pull into them unless traffic's clear both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's not lowered, that's just how far down the truck sits with the new engine.