Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Cat Terrist posted:

gently caress the entire lot of them.

yeah seriously. Stockholm to Kjula is a 1 hour drive according to Google Maps. Since our track shut down the next closest 1/4 mile is a 3.5 hour drive and most of our drag racing community makes that trip regularly (hell we've dragged the Mustang up there a dozen times and we're probably the lowest-budget team in the club- okay the lowest-budget *successful* team :smug:) so there's really no excuse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

kastein posted:

loving awful.

Those are *probably* one of a few axles - rockwell 2.5 ton, rockwell 5 ton, eaton fuller heavy OTR axles, or a variety of loader and military spec axles made by Eaton, Rockwell, ZF, and a few other companies. They're widely available parts wise and sometimes even come stock with selectable lockers... and ARB and other vendors produce aftermarket lockers that can be installed pretty easily too. No excuse.

Also, that suspension is loving awful by way of having about 2-3 feet too much lift. The control arm angles look pretty decent by mega truck standards, in fact the LCA angles are excellent, but the upper control arm lengths are shorter than the lowers which will result in pinion dive when the suspension compresses. Also the rear UCAs appear to slope upward to the diff end rather than being mostly parallel to the LCAs. I fail to see the point of putting that much lift in a vehicle only to make a monstrous jungle gym of a subframe that completely negates the increase in ground clearance.

Detroit Lockers are also an option in just about any medium/heavy duty diff if you like being able to turn. And yeah, a diff in that market without the option of a selectable locker is almost nonexistant. There is a possibility they did the build with a banjo housing that doesn't have the clearance for the locker fork and collar and were thus stuck running open (I've been in that situation myself while doing a conversion- we couldn't make that clearance up without compromising the housing, so we did a Detroit Locker instead).
Can't say I've heard of a clutch-type LSD in anything 2-ton and up, but I don't deal much in medium duty or off-road equipment, just heavy on-road trucks. We see the odd 2-5 ton but they're few and far between.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

McTinkerson posted:

Any aero nerds here? Do you own a AW11 MR2, A FC RX-7, MK4 Supra or a FRS? Then this video is for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDLzxmJl5I

I like that the AW11 basically rides around in a roughly 911-shaped envelope. The car thinks it's a Porsche, and so does the surrounding air (kinda) :3:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm curious how it would be kept from rusting on the inside though.

Plate the fucker.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Binky is cool and is an amazing achievement already, but I'm all about The Escargot.

I really wish I could enjoy the Escargot but I'm a heavy truck mechanic and watching them wrench on it just feels like I'm at work.