Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viconia
Jul 11, 2005

Oh, right. I know a lot about lifting curses. That's why I'm a disembodied talking skull sitting on top of a spike in the middle of a swamp.
Directed by: Darren Lynn Bousman
Starring: Tobin Bell, Shawnee Smith, Angus Macfadyen, Bahar Soomekh

I was dying to see this movie. I was waiting for it to come out and it was definitely worth the wait and was everything I expected it to be, and then some.

In a Nutshell, it explains a lot of questions we've come across and thought of over the past 2 movies, to make a fantastic, mindblowing, nail biting, gorey end to an once in a lifetime trilogy.

A lot of questions about Jigsaw, and amanda are answered, and their motives behind why they do what they do.

The movie was continuously moving, there were no dull moments at all, it kept the viewer captivated, and engrossed at all times. The end was beyond brillant that words can't even describe it.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Continued on from last movie, Answered a lot of questions, plenty of gore - i mean extremely gorey, good solid story line, excellent ending,
CONS: Should have told us to watch the prior 2 movies before going in - i had to keep reminding myself of 1 and 2 again - The third one warrants good memory of the prior 2 movies.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0489270/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelCurmudgeon
May 2, 2005

Shall I give thee the groat now?
I, too, caught this last night.

I will say I did not go into it with the best of expectations, given the abysmal second part of the series.

Acting, again, was atrocious for the most part. That should not be much of a suprise, given the "quality" of the previous two incarnations. The over-the-toppedness of some of the traps was annoying at first, but when we find out why that was so, it tied together nicely. Also, the "looking back" segments, which some have derided as being superfluous, I actually found them to be helpful.

Decent, but not great. Still, a good check-your-brain-at-the door film.

moosey
Apr 23, 2006

by Fistgrrl
Just like Oceans 11 and Oceans 12, this is going to be a movie and series that I'm going to have to watch over and over and over again until I can fully understand the story. I need to watch all three of these in succession before I understand.

Spoiler Overusage because I dont get it :(

I dont understand. So Jigsaw taking Amanda under his wing for X amount of time.... setting up all of those traps, etc, that was all one of jigsaws games? Also, Jeffs daughter was kidnapped along with Jeff, and jig was the only one who knew where his daughter was? I loved how in killing jig he lost his wife and daughter.

The traps in this movie were just as amazing as the others. I loved them all. The chains with Troy, the Ribcage with 'Rebecca' was it? Albeit about that one, I think you would live longer than a few seconds if only your ribcage was ripped off, but I'm an idiot so chances are I'm wrong. I thought the freezing thing was kind of retarded. I went to the bathroom(:( Big mistake) and missed the pig guts thing. The way I understand it, he was going to drown in pig guts but Jeff saved him? Or was it that he was going to be sawed up into mince meat :v: and made into pig guts.

4/5

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

I loved the first one, and loved the second one, but other than having better acting than #1 (and it's really not hard to do... god Cary Elwes :psyduck: ) I feel it was the weakest of the three... but I still enjoyed it.

The traps were awesome, I was squirming and flinching quite a lot and usually that's not common for me. Since this is what you're going to the movie to see, you won't be disappointed.

One thing that DID disappoint me was that they didn't go into the backstory of the traps as much. In the first two, the person is in the trap for a specific purpose, and the trap is related somehow to that purpose, forcing them to face their sins to escape and continue living. In this one it was more like "you're bad, now you're stuck in this trap and have to escape. Sux 2 B u". I can't even remember why the cop or whoever was in the ribcage trap was put there, and did the trap have any bearing whatsoever as to why she was there? Maybe I totally missed it but I can't think of any real ways that whole sequence tied into the rest of the movie.

I was a little impatient with all the rehashing too. I suppose it would be helpful for people who didn't watch or remember the first two, but if it says "3", I say don't whine about not knowing what's going on and watch 1 and 2 god drat it. To be fair, a good number of the rehashes were just flashbacks from a different point or view, which revealed important information... but they went back over traps and scenes from previous movies so many times, I just wanted to yell "Yes, I know, I saw that one!". It almost felt like they were running out of ideas for novel new traps, so they had a hall of fame of the good ones previously.
When Amanda looks pointedly at the head vice, I was so worried it would cut to a sequence rehashing her escape and "rebirth", and so relieved when she just picked it up and put it away. "oh good they're going to just give us a subtle nudge to remind us, thank you!" I think............ just as she says "You'd be surprised what tools can save a life" and they cut into the rehash of the scene. :argh:

But other than that, as long as you're expecting quality along the lines of a Saw movie, you won't be disappointed. Had a good story, excellent sadism and devious traps... I can't say I liked the ending a whole lot, but it wasn't the endings fault. The ending was good, I just was hoping for a different outcome.

(big spoiler)
Amanda was supposed to be the next Jigsaw dammit, not this stupid "people don't really change!! You're just a murderer!" bullshit. Having it where the people couldn't REALLY escape the traps because Amanda went all psycho kinda ruined the fun for me, which probably ties into the traps not being as specific to their backgrounds, too. But again, not the movies fault, it's just me disagreeing with the writing choices :mad:

I give it a 4.5

moosey
Apr 23, 2006

by Fistgrrl

Tagra posted:

One thing that DID disappoint me was that they didn't go into the backstory of the traps as much. In the first two, the person is in the trap for a specific purpose, and the trap is related somehow to that purpose, forcing them to face their sins to escape and continue living. In this one it was more like "you're bad, now you're stuck in this trap and have to escape. Sux 2 B u". I can't even remember why the cop or whoever was in the ribcage trap was put there, and did the trap have any bearing whatsoever as to why she was there? Maybe I totally missed it but I can't think of any real ways that whole sequence tied into the rest of the movie.

Actually, the ribcage one was the only one I didn't follow as well. I think the goal of that particular crime/torture was that she was a cop and had "spent her life around dead and figuring out their last moments" so jigsaw figured she would like to join her "friends" in being dead" No Idea about the ribcage though. Troy however, spent his life in prison, so as to say, "in chains/behind bars", hence him being chained :).

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I came into this movie expecting complete and utter crap. Although it was better then I expected, it was still pretty bad.

To me, Saw I, II, and III are all pretty much the same movie. Each and every movie is, in a nutshell, "Lets see how gory we can make someone die."

Having said that, I wasn't pleased with this one. Maybe I was expecting more. Hell, if you look at the trailers it really gives you no idea what the movie is about, except, gore.

I thought the tieing in of deaths was kinda cool but the main male character pissed me off. I also caught the "twist" ending a mile away.

2/5

jesusbite
Jan 27, 2004

I'll kill him.
Watching Saw III is like watching a fresh film student make a film the day after he graduates from film school, after taking classes like "Horror 101: Shakey Camera" and "How To Cut Away From The Gore". In order to create suspense and to show the "direness" of every torture situation, there are fast zooms in and out, the camera shakes, and everything becomes blurred and gets double-vision.

The credit reel was scarier than the movie. Watching Amanda and Jigsaw interact was like watching two retards gently caress. The main plot with the doctor is beyond lame. The deaths in the second saw were more interesting.

The ending: Jeff has a goddamned circular chainsaw, is standing over Jigsaw, and he gives his throat a little nick? That's it? In a movie based on gory death situations and being as "brutal as possible" about torturing its characters, the main villian's death, which has been built up for three movies, is the lamest thing ever.

If movies like Saw continue to be made, then there is really no hope for the Horror genre on the horizon.

gently caress this movie.

0/5

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
I liked number 1, thought number 2 was not-so-bad, and number 3 is one of the shittiest movies I've seen in a long time. It's like they spent 90% of the time, after making Saw 2, designing gory ways to die, 5% to make up some stupid plot with the lamest twists ever, and then the remaining 5% were spent auditioning for lovely actors/filming the drat thing/shaky-cam/subs at Quiznos.

floatingdonut
Sep 26, 2006
clay aiken plz

jesusbite posted:

The ending: Jeff has a goddamned circular chainsaw, is standing over Jigsaw, and he gives his throat a little nick? That's it? In a movie based on gory death situations and being as "brutal as possible" about torturing its characters, the main villian's death, which has been built up for three movies, is the lamest thing ever.

I understand where you're coming from on this and why it would annoy you, but you have to remember that Jigsaw had to give Jeff like a two minute speech after this incident.

My two cents: I thought it was pretty good, and I would see it again, but it wasn't as good as the first two. I also thought the ending was pretty predictable so that kind of ruined it for me.

edit: just in case that might spoil it for some..

floatingdonut fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 5, 2006

Trypticon
Jun 13, 2005

'Begone Metroplex!' rejoined he. 'Quit the room, or I will trample you into atoms.'
I really don't know what to make of this movie.

First of all, whenever Jeff was trying to save someone, he would start talking first and waste half of the time. This pissed me off. If the people are still going to be around after you save them, then you can berate them later!

Then the ending, in which Jigsaw pretty much says, "Hey you'll get pretty much everything you want, including 3/4 of your family, if you don't torture me. Nothing says you have to torture. The tools are sitting right there, but there's nothing threatening you if you don't. I'll get your wife an ambulance if you don't torture, and no one is saying you have to."

Then, he tortures him and apparently loses everything. Dammit, all you had to do was not pick up a saw!

3/5

Got2BtheCupcake
Nov 3, 2006
Think about it @#$%face, it's a cupcake!
Since I work in a theater, I got to see this for free. (out of nothing but boredom)
I wish I could have been paid to see it, because it was bar-none the worst "serious" horror movie I have ever seen.

Boobies are a staple of horror films. The boobies weren't bad, but the setting for the boobies was all wrong. There was nothing sexual about them, they were just boobies.

Gore-wise, I have seen much worse in movies 20 years ago than were in Saw III. Hellraiser, Nightmare on Elm St, and Friday the 13th series all come to mind. Phsychological violence is boring as hell - I prefer to be startled by unexpected violence. Knowing it is coming just makes you think about it, and the result is a poor reaction.

I don't like to see a movie when I know what is going to happen an hour later. All the clues at the beginning are much too obvious. Shame on you, Saw III. I didn't even have to watch the first 2 lovely movies to know exactly what was going on.

Boobies: 2/5
Gore: 1/5
WTF moments: 0/5

Overall: 1/5

hotkarl
Jan 30, 2004

I think we're gonna smash light bulbs out by the dumpster
I can't really say much that hasn't already been said. I liked it better than the first but not as much as the second. The ending left me pissed off at the characters (mostly Jeff) and not the movie/directing/writing which is a good sign, and I too was hoping for a different outcome Why did the hot doctor have to die? :cry: but the outcome was appropriate for the movie and the way the characters had been developed. Some of the gore was a little over-the-top... but I'm a wuss and maybe haven't been desensitized enough yet.

4/5

redbyte
Apr 18, 2006
When he strikes... you'll know
Just watched this movie and I gotta agree with most of you here. It was just dodgey.

First of all, the guy in chains? What was the point of that? To keep you from walking out? He added nothing to the story.

But the main reason this movie failed in my eyes were the characters. I hated them. All of them. I truly mean that. If the audience doesn't care about the characters then you have a flop.

Doctor- Abnoxious, wise rear end
Jeff- Even under those extreme conditions he still wanted vengeance? I'm pretty sure most people would just act on instinct.
Accomplice chick- Incredibly bad rear end, every shot she has a frown, and yet she still wears makeup and keeps her hair looking fine?
Jigsaw- The whole time I was just waiting for him to die. He dragged out his nothingless speaches like... well, an old man. Die old man.

On top of that, the 'gore' scenes that this movie is supposed to be all about, were so badly filmed and edited I couldn't tell who was bleeding or from what body part. And jeff... screw jeff. He just stood around for the first 2 minutes of each torture wondering what to do, then he'd act. On ya jeff. Make a character that has some balls will just act like a human, then I'll care.

And can someone clear me up on this point:The chick in the freezer room, who supposedly was the only 'witness' to his sons death. Drove off. Why does it matter? They got the guy. He faced a judge who gave him 6 months prison time. Why was a witness needed? And why was jeff so worked up about it?

That said. I'm going to give this movie:

2/5

..because. It was entertaining, it did have some cringe moments and the sets were well lit and designed.
However the script, characters, plot and editing were the pinnacle of gay.

xtek
Nov 12, 2006
This movie was really good, I saw it with 3 of my freinds, By far i give it a 10/10 and hopefully there will be another one.

Smasher/Devourer
Apr 20, 2001

1992-2002
Despite its obvious flaws, I enjoyed the first movie, and to a slightly lesser extent, the second one as well. I don't think Saw III is quite as bad as some have made it out to be, but it's definitely the weakest of the three. Amanda and Jeff really hurt the movie in my opinion; I didn't find them to be believable in the least. If you can get past that, you'll probably enjoy this movie. Even if you can't, it still has some redeeming qualities, but overall I was disappointed.

2.5/5

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have a problem with jigsaw's ridiculous reasoning, that he's not a murderer, or bad at all because they have a chance to get out of the traps. Also there were too many flashbacks to the previous movies. The traps were good but some were not explained why they were chosen (rib thing, pig guts, rack, etc.)

Also Why was Jigsaw responsible for the death of the guy's son?

3/5

Swill
Feb 3, 2005

DORK SIDED

actionjackson posted:

Also Why was Jigsaw responsible for the death of the guy's son?

He wasn't, he was referring to the loss of his daughter.

I've seen this movie a couple of times after really liking the first two, I will admit that this is probably the worst of the three, not suggesting that it was in any way bad.
One bit that I did actaully find extremely annoying is people couldn't get out of their traps even if they did win the game

I was very impressed by Tobin Bell, again.

4/5

Spasms
Jun 11, 2003

I'm gettin' heartburn. Tony, do something terrible.
I just finished watching this and I must say, the way everything comes together at the end was brilliant. It is really fast paced, clever, and is a perfect ending (I hope) for the series. Not an all time favorite, but definitely a great movie if you can handle the gore.

4/5

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
First time I watched this in the theater, the entire theater's power shut down at around 35 minutes in. Me and my friends at first thought it was part of the movie, haha. In those first 35 minutes, watching the carnage unfold made me wince in discomfort as much as the first two movies combined. On one hand, it's really awful seeing sights as disgusting as that, but on the other hand, that is why I went to see the movie, so I loved it!

Watched the rest of it the other night and I will agree with the others in that I thought the first two movies were better than this. However, since I thought the first two movies were fantastic, that in no way reflects poorly of this film. I still find this trilogy of movies more intriguing than the other current horror movies coming out {The Grudge, etc.).

The ending of the movie had a classic Saw(tm) twist, though as before, I still liked the twists at the end of Saw and Saw II better. Overall, though, it was a good movie; more entertaining than most other recent horror flicks. Or should these be classified as Gory Thrillers?

I give the movie a 3.5 / 5

Marek_Stele
Aug 30, 2005

Who's got trouble?
Some people have mentioned how the traps were impossible to escape even if solved. This is there purposefully, as it's the whole reason why Jigsaw turns on Amanda at the end. She designed the traps to be inescapable, which went against Jig's rules. This turned her into a common murderer, which forced Jig to test her along with Jeff.

If you enjoyed the previous two Saw's it's a foregone conclusion that you'll dig this one too. A very fitting end to the trilogy, much stronger than the second and (I felt) possibly even better than the first. Expect resolution but an extremely unhappy ending. And yes, you will learn to hate the final 'test subject'. Oh god, the end will probably be the strongest case of cinematic schadenfreude you'll ever experience.

5/5

Matteo44
May 18, 2004
I actually walked of the theatre about 2/3 of the way through, something I've never done before. It was really loving awful. I can't give this one a low enough score. Now I'm sure I'm being unfair because I didn't see the whole movie, and a lot of people have said the ending was great, but honestly I don't think anything could save this movie after the 2/3 I saw.

0/5

Smiler
Nov 14, 2005
Melancholy Knight
I gotta say that I really enjoyed Saw 3 and found it a fitting conclusion to the trilogy.

Definetly my favorite part of the movie was: Donnie Wahlberg giving Amanda the loving teeth! I salute you, Detective Matthews.

Oh, quick question: Can anyone tell me what was up with the wax that Jigsaw tips over at the end of the movie? That part confused me.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
This movie is terrible. People in the theater were actually laughing at it. The previous films were badly made and acted, but at least tried to be suspenseful and clever with plot twists. This one is just as badly made and acted, but while gorier, it is also utterly yawn-inducing. You couldn't care less about any of the characters. Watch this film and you'll know how working 8-hour shifts in a slaughterhouse gutting cows for a minimum wage feels like. By a surprise ending some people talked about, did they mean the most ham-fisted flashback ever?

It's the closest I've ever come to walking out of a movie, not because I was squeamish, but because it was so tedious and lovely.

1/5

pigdog fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 19, 2006

Digitalised
Feb 13, 2002

I definitely didn't go into this movie with high expectations, considering the second one was awful. However, I felt that this one was a slight improvement, although by no means a saving grace. The gore in this move was unbelievable to me. It was either overly disgusting (anything involving compound fractures) or poorly filmed. I agree with the comment that you could hardly tell where someone was hurt in half of the movie.

I really despised all of the screen time Amanda and Jigsaw got together. It seemed like a horrible love epic that went wrong. Not a good thing. However, I liked Amanda's unwinnable traps, especially when the detective has her rib cage ripped out. Although, how is it that she's even ALIVE after Amanda rigged up that machine?

The minds of the writers never cease to amaze me. They come up with the most disturbing things sometimes-- I felt that this was a good thing for this film. Unfortunately, all of the creative ways to kill people were eclipsed by horrible dialogue.

As long as they don't make another one of these, I think this was an okay film. Otherwise... well, let's just say I won't be looking forward to Saw IV.

3/5

Questions:
What was the deal with Jigsaw pouring some bubbling substance on the tape towards the end of the movie?

Who was that blonde girl that Jigsaw loved?

synthexic
Oct 21, 2003

x i i i
Saw III completely ruined the franchise for me. I was a big fan of Saw I, and an even bigger fan of Saw II, but for some reason, I just felt really bored with this movie. I didn't like the character, the plot development, and in my opinion, there weren't enough cool deaths ( except when the brother and sister had that moment with the drills).

Perhaps I didn't like it because I saw it the night it came out, and thus, every 15 year old in town was at the theatre wanting to see it--the movie was stopped twice so they could check tickets.

I wouldn't see it again.

2/5

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
The shock from the first one is something that will never be surpassed but this one I really enjoyed and I feel it's better than the second. The plot twist at the end wrapped up the trilogy perfectly.

I give it a 4.5/5

Mr. Sleep
Aug 2, 2003

Awful, awful, awful movie. If I didn't watch Saw II I sure as hell wasn't missing much because of all the gratuitious exposition in this one, complete with constant flashbacks that cut away from all the current action and the aneurysm-inducing jumpcuts for the ADD crowd. Toss in a horrible screenplay, bland cliches and the worst acting I have ever seen and we pretty much have an explanation for all the groans and rolled eyes that compromised the entire audience when the lights came back on.

My friend's girlfriend doesn't speak much English and even she thought it was trash. And a sequel's coming out too! Yay!

0.5/5

greggg230
Mar 15, 2004
This was not a good movie.

Horror movies, as far as I am concerned, fall into three categories.

1) Thoughtful movies that are genuinely scary, not because they rely on a bunch of "cheap tricks" (see 3), but by coming up with concepts that are actually scary. A good twist at the end of the film is very common for this. Example: Exorcist

2) Horror movies that pretty much don't take themselves seriously, and are fun as a result. This seems to be the largest group nowadays. Horror is a fun genre with a pretty specific target audience. These movies tend to be low-budget, not very creative, full of cliches. Since the expectations are pretty low, if you come in with the right attitude, you'll enjoy these. Example: Puppetmaster movies

3) Horror movies that try to be thoughtful, but do not have enough creative force behind them to pull it off. Instead of having genuinely scary or disturbing concepts, often horror movies will just use a lot of "cheap tricks" to produce the effect. Cheap tricks include things like: things jumping out from behind doors (plus, obligatory "it's just a cat don't be scared" scene before the real horror starts), sudden sounds, creepy little girl, etc. Also, whatever twists these things have to "mindfuck" you are generally things you could never have seen coming in a million years because they either didn't give you enough information or just outright misled you. Example: M. Night Shamylan (sp)

Saw I definitely fits into category 1. I don't know anyone who saw the twist coming and the concept was new and fresh enough that it could produce a good result.

Saw III definitely fits into category 2. Basically, they're just exploiting what used to be a really good idea and making it gorier. Yeah, okay, her ribcage is going to explode. Yeah, okay, he has to rip the chains out of his hands. Yeah, okay, he's going to get twisted and snapped. It all seemed so gratuitous, like it was just there to gross you out. Which, of course, it was.

However, the biggest flaw with Saw III was the WTF ending. I realize that there was supposed to be a twist, but for the life of me i could not figure it out. Okay, yeah, the guy was the woman's husband, which the viewer could not have known in a million years (the misleading "I want a divorce" line from her lover didn't help things, either). But there was apparently some stupid twist about Amanda being tested because she's a murderer and Jigsaw hates murderers :rolleye:.

All in all, just an awful movie.

1/5

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Why did the hot girl marry Jeff? The main character was obviously a total douche potato sack who was incapable of doing just about anything properly. He was walking around throughout the entire movie in what seemed like a daze, I really hated him personally and he was the only one who survived, additionally he was too stupid to save anyone at all when it should have been what he was doing.

I was very disappointed to see how Amanda turned out, crazier than ever before and also incapable of doing anything properly. I liked her as a character quite a lot out of the first two movies, although I didn't like the movies, finally one that supposedly centered around her fell short of impressing me.

I give this movie a 3/5 because it doesn't matter. Those who want to see Saw 3 will see it anyways and those who don't -- won't, rating this movie wouldn't make a difference.

This was by far the most disgusting of the three movies so if you're into that type of thing, then rent it don't buy it.

Sorry for the scathing revue. Ps. My spoilers give away a lot.

AlexBowser
Oct 28, 2003

[oscillate wildly]
Dumb post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Onken
Feb 12, 2003

ouch my knee
Entertaining gore-fest, very similar to the first two (though not as good). The squealing, moody side-kick was really annoying, though.

2.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thank You Card
Mar 20, 2007

I'm your only friend.
What made it interesting is that it made it feel like Saw was going into a more complex direction. Where the plot would really thicken. Much like the feeling at the end of Saw 2. Where Saw 1 and 2 were multiple people trying to figure a way out of a room or a house, this was just a solo man trying to just get to the end and save as many people as possible. The movie has a lot of potential and I feel like most of it was pulled off pretty well, but with some pretty bad problems.
But the acting lacked on the most part. Giving it the feel that it could have had so much potential that was lost. The flashbacks seemed too heavy and cut away from too much of what you wanted to see. When you wanted the plot to go on because of something exciting possibly happening, there was a flashback. Although that built up suspense, I didn't want suspense, I wanted some action!
Oh yeah, and a great introduction.

3.5/5.5