Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

reflir posted:

I haven't finished anything in a while. :( I've been reading "The wind-up bird chronicle" by Haruki Murakami but I only read like 2 or 3 chapters a day, while I usually finish books in a day or two. "Hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world" (which I read a while ago) definitely had a more intriguing plot.
I read this a little while ago, but it didn't really make any sense to me.

I just finished Crime And Punishment. It was a good read, although a little heavy going at times. Just before that it was Huxley's Brave New World. Distopian futures are awesome.

Edit: Oh and to the guys discovering Kerouac, I'd like to recommend one of his less well known works, Lonesome Traveller, which I also recently finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

Pontius Pilate posted:

I must be insane for saying this, but am I the only one that found Brave New World alright? Maybe the middle just ruined it for me. What happens in the middle, no need for spoiler warnings, is nothing. Nothing at all.

It is true, it does sag a bit in the middle in terms of the story and with regard to the reservation (Huxley himself, in an introduction to the version I read that was added later agreed with this, and also said he found the way in which they lived the most unbelieveable part of the story). In any case, it's not a particularly long book so I didn't find it dragged on. The real genius of the book comes mostly in its setting and mood, although the ending (from the return to civilisation onwards) is great.

Avoiding the derail by saying I, too, recently read Naked Lunch. It I got it due to my love of Kerouac, and so didn't find it exactly what I expected, but enjoyed it anyway. Reading that book is, I imagine, about as close to understanding total madness as sane people can get.

The New Black fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 16, 2006