Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Stoner By John Williams

The life a man born on a poor farm in Missouri doesn't seems like it would be an interesting one, but holy poo poo is this one beautiful book. The prose used in this book, while simple, is both deep and honest in it's portrayal John Stoner's life. Maybe I'm a pussy little bitch, but I totally wept and the end. Simply a wonderful book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

So this year I made a resolution to read the entire Wheel of Time series. I had originally tried to do this before the last book came out in 2012 but only made it through book 6. So anything beyond that is new territory to me.

Anyway I just finished Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan or as I like to call it “Mat and the Girls Search for a Bowl”. Few notable things happened in this volume that progressed the overall plot of the series. To me it felt like Rand’s actions toward the end of the book were kinda just tacked on to give his character something to do.

I felt let down with Rand’s battle with Sammael. In the past books it seemed like Rand was planning a big military assault around Illian only to say gently caress it and gateway in there with some forces. I mean he could have done that when ever.

At the beginning of the series it seemed like each book had its own self contained story arc while being able to move the overall plot forward. Now I fear, with each subsequent novel, I’m just going to be getting little pieces of the overall plot without a self contained story to keep my interest high. Which I guess is fine? Seeing how I’m reading these all in one go. But I can’t imagine waiting years between each novel.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Which one is the book where Rand is transported to an ice continent or whatever and fucks yet another woman in a cave? Book 5? 6? That's about when I gave up.

That would be book 5.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan

Despite my favorite character, Mat, being absence from this book I enjoyed it a whole lot more than the previous volume in The Wheel of Time series.

Things I enjoyed in this volume:

-That bowl finally being used + gateway explosions
-The queen of Andor running into Perrin’s party
-Egwene bending the Little Tower to her will, in a way
-Rand pushing the Seachan back into the ocean while pushing his magic bros to the edge

I’m looking forward to what is being set up for the next novel.

All in all Path of Dagger > Crown of Swords

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Winter’s Heart by Robert Jordan

Volume nine in the wheel of time inches closer to Tarmon Gai'don. Not much happens with Perrin, though I always thought his thread was the most boring. Egwene is barely in it but hey Mat comes back! Also I’m real interested in what Logain is up to and Cadsuane is really growing on me.

Some highlights:

Rand and the magic gang bang
THE loving CLEANSING

Aside from the dip in the seventh book this series has maintained a good overall quality and I’m looking forward to seeing what happens next.

I hear book 10 is the worst in the series. Here’s hoping it’s not too bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Flipping Pages back and forth, it's like a tennis match. Sorry you can't appreciate brilliance.

This comment made me appreciate Infinite Jest a little more.