Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Fatal Revenant, by Stephen R. Donaldson. Absolutely fantastic, but the ending is a gigantic cliffhanger and I can't wait three years for the next installation. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nothing More posted:

I just finished the third book in Jim Butcher's Fury series, "Cursor's Fury" and realized it's going to be several more books before it's done. Oh well.

I just finished the first book, Furies of Calderon, and really enjoyed it. Not as good as the Dresden Files, but still good.

On to Terry Pratchett.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic.

It was good, but I wasn't blown away like I was with some of his other works. Now on to Reaper Man, which I haven't read yet.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

cloudchamber posted:

Where'd you find this?

The 10th anniversary edition contains cut material

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Owlkill posted:

In a big spooky/ghost story mood at the moment and just finished Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury. I know some people think his prose is over-wrought and melodramatic, but I kind of like it for that. He always makes me feel nostalgic. The story made me both feel wistful and sad and also was quite genuinely creepy, with poo poo like the witch with stitched-together eyes. I think this is the first Bradbury I've read that I'd consider horror, aside from The Veldt. Does anyone know of any more of his stuff with a similar feel?

norman partridge, dark harvest

e: doesn't have the same feel, but gaiman's graveyard book is also a good october read

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Randallteal posted:

I had some gender and class issues with the society of the world,

they're written by a teetotaling mormon missonary STEM major proto-goon from the midwest, so

anyway i just finished reading the (1608 quarto) history of king lear alongside & against the (1623 folio) tragedy of king lear. if you've read lear, you've almost certainly read a conflation between the two editions, since scholars until fairly recently believed the quarto printing to be a bad copy & largely imported lines from the latter into the former. it's now thought that the changes between them reflect actual revision by shakespeare, probably in collaboration with the other actors of the king's men. interesting bc many of the most powerful & iconic moments of the play are found only in one text or another, and because it gives insight into willy's revision process

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 29, 2016

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
both are bad

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
could we possibly institute a blanket ban on posting "[dystopian novel] is so much like [2016 election]"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury

I mean, this one gets talked about a lot on here, for good reason. It was great. I was totally blindsided by the amount of straight-up humor there was throughout. Maybe I'm in the minority here but I thought the best stories - for a book essentially about Mars - took place on Earth. An excellent read. Now I have to go back and re-read Fahrenheit 451.

have you read something wicked this way comes? read something wicked this way comes

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Major Isoor posted:

Well, I've just finished [b]The Witcher: The Tower of the Swallow[/s], after many delays. Great book - I'll definitely be picking up the final book in the series, when the English translation is released in mid-March. Only problem with TTotS is simply that it ended too soon! :D
Now, onto the Penguin Classics translation of Xenophon's Anabasis.

that is one hell of a juxtaposition

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Major Isoor posted:

God drat, I should NOT post when tired! ...I was thinking about correcting it just then, but nah I think I'll leave it be, so it can remain as a monument to my complete lack of proofreading :D
(I mean drat, I could understand using the italic code but wow, strikethrough?)

no i meant going from the witcher to xenophon is an odd transition

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Universal Harvester

Compassion for Lisa's awful, unanswerable ache is explicitly the motivation. It's what drives Jeremy to dissuade Stephanie from calling the cops (killing any shot at a romance with her), despite the fact that he'd been tied to a chair and assaulted in the middle of the night.* It's why he asks the family to leave Lisa alone. And it's why the family ultimately does leave Lisa alone, driving off and leaving her unconfronted.

*This marks a key distinction between them which plays into the novel's overarching themes. Stephanie is from a small town, but she's not of a small town - one of the first things we're told of her is how she likes to brag about her MA, and we know she ultimately heads out to the cities. She doesn't understand the kind of mindset that would cause Jeremy (who genuinely likes Iowa, and heatedly states so to Stephanie's face, and of course has lost a mother himself) to not call the cops and just let Lisa deal with her hurt in her own way. The family at the end (whose name I don't remember right now) is Stephanie's foil: they're outsiders who are moving into the community, but by driving away from the curb in their RV instead of forcing Lisa to explain the crazy things she did out of hurt and pain, they signal that they belong, that they understand in some way; thus despite the fact that the barns are prefab now and the tractors are all computer-controlled, something of the ethos of the town - the best things that that kind of small community stands for - will persevere.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Feb 19, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
read popper next

e: here's a breakdown of his thought wrt philosophy of science.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 2, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
jesus christ

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
george saunders' lincoln in the bardo. a very quick read and super enjoyable

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

Flow My Tear, the Policeman Said

this is such a comically bad title that im continually amazed by the fact that its real

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
why did i read three loving volumes of danielewski's the familiar. what did i think was going to happen, here

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TommyGun85 posted:

I read the first and thought it was interestig and have the next two sitting on my shelf. are they not worth it? I figured the whole thig would be cancelled before he got through all 27 and that it was just a big marketing ploy.

they all suck. every chapter sucks in a unique way and each volume somehow sucks more than the sum of its parts.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Colonel Taint posted:

I straight up skipped a few of the passages later in the book that seemed like they were going into religious visions and arcana of catholic history (which really, I can't think of many things I'd care less to read about).

why, uh, why were you reading Eco at all

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sandwolf posted:

Frankenstein.

Pretty meh.

lol

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do you, like, is that just for jacking off, or like what

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

okraslayer posted:

I work as a rural carrier part time and she is on one of the routes I work on. Noticed she was getting a lot of mail for some other name and asked her about it.. Just making sure she wasn't getting the wrong mail... Turns out it was for her pen name and told me about her side hustle of writing this sort of lit. She also let me in on some of her other works she has not published yet a bio bit and youth books.

As for what did I enjoy about it.

It is kinda romance / just good fiction.. Not exactly "50 shades of gray" stuff. I like fiction to begin with so it tickled that part of the brain fine. The characters where there and I actually gave a dam about what happened to them & had enough of a mystery /detective vibe that I enjoyed it. I wold have never picked up a book like this just off the shelf or searched for it online, but since I met the author and she seemed cool & did a good pitch for book I gave it chance. Besides I have amazon kindle unlimited so didn't cost me anything outside of subscription already. Just wish there was a paper back copy & have her sign it.

So did you jack off

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr. Squishy posted:

Ya, he's written a few books by now.

why?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

geeves posted:

Mae's mom gives her MS suffering father a handjob with lotion

i do not understand why people read dave eggers

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Sonora, by Hannah Lillith Assad

beautifully lyric prose. assad imbues the first third or so, set in the Arizona desert during the narrator's teenage years, with a perfectly bleak, haunting atmosphere. around the second act though the principals move to Brooklyn and the novel loses its charm and becomes a kind of uninteresting story dissolution and drug use set against a backdrop of rapidly-gentrifying NYC.

still very good, though

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
jeff vandermeer's borne. it was very stupid and bad. why did this get a writeup in the new yorker? why did i read it (both the writeup and the novel)?

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 4, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

tetrapyloctomy posted:

The only reason the book exists is he wanted to come up with a quasi-reasonable reason why something like the Star Trek universe has tons of alien civilizations but with creatures that not only look somewhat human, but often can even interbreed. I'm of the "two-thirds of this is a good book" camp, but I wouldn't tell people not to read the third act. Just think of it as ... sorta bad fan fiction by the ultimate goony fan, the author himself.

im trying to imagine a worse reason to write a book and im coming up empty

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
it's really bad yeah

e: the racism not the book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

I must be uncultured because I lost the thread of it somewhere along the way.

yeah

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
clinton ran a terrible campaign and the choice between 'widely hated status quo neoliberal' and 'loud outsider promising change' was a no brainer for many people, hth

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

cloudchamber posted:

There wasn't any kind of huge swing to Trump;

I wasn't trying to imply that there was

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

A human heart posted:

The book isn't from the 10th century, it was published in 1941.

lol

also it doesnt make sense to call even the real sagas 'non-fiction'

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
quit being a loving child and read some real norse sagas

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Attitude Indicator posted:

Real norse sagas are all a pain in the rear end to read

if you're very stupid perhaps

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
nah you shouldn't

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Solitair posted:

Yeah, but the way Van Helsing was talking made me think of how some reactionaries peg poor/black people as naturally inclined to crime.

you do realize the problems inherent in applying this modern standard of wokeness to a book written in 1897, right

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wouldn't lovecraft hot takes be saying he is a cool dude who writes well written non racist stories?

s t joshi already says that

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
the snow child was good up until it jumped ahead a few years to garrett and faina falling in love

the novel had done a good job of balancing the question of is-she-isn't-she (a fairy) until that point. afterwards it became a lot less interesting, and the attempt to reassert that question at the end when faina disappears was predictable and flat. still a good read, i'm just disappointed with the last third and a bit surprised by the fact that this was a pulitzer finalist.

despite all that, the best part of the book wasn't the fairy issue but the descriptions of people being miserable and farming unhappily in alaska

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ayem posted:

not being a poetry scholar...

definitely dan simmons' target audience, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

spandexcajun posted:

What did you think? I tried it and like 400 pages of the next book but I just hated every bit of both books. I think they were just garbage, and I wanted to like it. Obviously others like it and it's just my opinion and all that...

no youre right theyre garbage