Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Just finished Richard Kadrey's Metrophage, his first novel and the first cyberpunk anything that I've read since the early 90's. Maybe because I played a bit of the Shadowrun game recently it put me in the mood for it. I agree with his assessment in an interview: as a first-time novelist he furiously waved his hands around throughout the whole book - afraid the reader would stop reading if he let up for one moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Just finished Chuck Wendig's Double Dead and Patricia Brigg's Dead Heat.

The first is involves a zombie apocalypse where the protagonist is a vampire who realizes his feeding habits are going to have to change. As a bonus, the story includes an encounter with a post-apocalyptic society run and populated by juggaloes.

The second is one in a series of urban fantasy books (Alpha and Omega) that is a cut above that of other authors in the genre. Briggs writes characters well, and the world in this series and the concurrent Mercy Thompson books is very grounded and well-thought-out. If you want to give urban fantasy a try, I highly recommend Briggs' novels.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 18, 2015

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Half Past Human by T.J. Bass - a 1971 distopian science fiction novel very characteristic of it's time. The bulk of 4-toed, Nebbish humanity numbers in the trillions and lives below ground in fairly squalid conditions. A minority of five-toed "buckeyes" lives above ground, stealing from the crops that cover the entire earth's land masses and which are grown for the benefit of the Nebbishes. They get their protein from the Nebish hunters that are sent to kill them, whereas the Nebbish get their protein from each other and the occasional rat.

It's kind of a mix of Logan's run, Solyent Green, and Hellstrom's Hive - with something else larger going on that is slowly revealed.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Aug 17, 2016

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Song for the Basilisk, a fantasy novel by Patricia McKillip. McKillip's writing reminds me of the Romantic texts I liked so much as a student. She often uses an artist as a protagonist (in this case a bard rather than the poet the Romantics often utilized), isn't afraid to be metatextual, and often operates on the symbolic level.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I just finished A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. I had the end "spoiled" in the forward (I'm now forswearing all forwards from here on out), so it did't hit like it could have, but still a good read. I've been reading Hemingway off and on, for the past two years and enjoy his style, even with its quirks.