Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Burning Rain posted:

Yuri Herrera - Signs Preceding the End of the World I read on trains and platforms, which is probably the worst possibly way how to read an intense 120 pp book. It borrows a lot from comics in the overall style and the characters, but the plot is something right out of Cormac McCarthy or something. If more goons read it, the book would be mentioned constantly on the forums, so I'm happy it hasn't happened yet. I'll def re-read it though, when I'm sure I'll get two or three uninterrupted hours.

I didn't really get much of a McCarthy vibe from this other than the fact its about border culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Just finished Dune and thought it was pretty fantastic. I've heard many mixed things about the series going forward, is messiash worth a look?

Look at it like this.

When Herbert wrote Dune, he was writing a novel

When Herbert wrote all the sequels, he was writing a franchise.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ben Nevis posted:

Just finished The Sudden Appearance of Hope by Claire North. It's about a girl who can't be remembered. It was real good.

If the girl's name is Hope I am gonna throw a fit

EDIT: ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gertrude Perkins posted:

The Vegetarian, by Han Kang. My first time actually reading the BotM here! A short and vividly upsetting novel about a woman whose sudden decision to give up eating meat precipitates a grim sequence of personal struggle, harm and atrophy. It's clearly an allegory about the role of women in Korea's patriarchal society and cycles of abuse and consumption. Told from the perspective of three relatives (her husband, her brother-in-law, and her sister), the detached nature of the prose helps cultivate an oppressive and isolating atmosphere. Without wanting to give too much away, there were several scenes that were beautiful, and several more that were shocking or difficult to get through. Definitely recommended, though for readers with a strong constitution. (I also realise that this is the only Korean novel I've read, so that's odd.)

If you want a very good companion novel of contemporary Korean feminism try Please Look After Mom

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I read a bunch more McDowell recently and thought it might mean I like horror fiction in general so I read A Head Full of Ghosts and then I realized that no I just like McDowell

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

read aickman bitch

Rec me bitch

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

So does this Aickman fella have a novel or is it all short stories

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

clicking through the spoilers and it reads like legitimately the dumbest book ever written

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Wasnt France literally the military powerhouse of Europe for a great deal of the Middle Ages

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I was a fan of finding out how many greek stories I learned as a kid that simply had the normalization of homosexuality removed

Like Narcissus falling in love with his own reflection but the reflection made it look like he had long hair so he thought it was a girl

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Agatha Christie's most famous mysteries are always absurd cop outs and I have no idea why she is so famous

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

You are making some offensive presumptions there

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mystery stories had been published regularly for almost a century before Christie, it's not like she was a pioneer in an unexplored genre

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Turn of the Screw is still scary today or at least rather unsettling. the TV series they are making of it hopefully won't suck :/

I love they recently made it into a big budget horror movie called "the turning"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I propose a two axis grading scale for books

X axis is horny
Y axis is nazi

Mishima is v. Horny and v. Nazi
Lord of the Rings is not very horny but very nazi

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

All fantasy at its core is at least a little bit nazi

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sarern posted:

Yeah I hated all those subtle hints of Nazi sympathies in Tehanu and On a Sunbeam.

I don't think anyone would argue with "many", and few would argue with "most", but "All" is a uh... strong proposition.

Fantasy has inescapable Palingenetic undertones which means there will always be trace nazism

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sarern posted:

If a random poster can find two counterexamples in less than five minutes those undertones aren't that inescapable.

how are they counter-examples of having no palingenesis?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I didn't say "palingenetic ultranationalism" I just said "Palingenesis"

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Peanut Butler posted:

which is not in itself a feature or indicator of fascism

but it is foundational to fascist thought ergo inescapable from trace naziism

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

how do you so consistently manage to make potentially interesting ideas so stupid and dull

practice

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

CestMoi posted:

trace nazism is the kind of term you'd come up with if the extent of your engagement with politics is following people on twitter with handles like michel_fuckault

Hrm yes I should take the joke of rating all books in TBB on a graph of "Horniness and Naziness" with utmost seriousness

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

just a dash of totalitarianism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Sarern posted:

TBB: homeopathic naziism

Get on that HA