Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I just finished Recursion by Blake Crouch

I thought it was really engaging all the way through, and it builds up really well.

The core concept of "loving around with memory" was absolutely fantastic and the pivot to actual time travel was a great move.

I don't really have much more to say about it, because I don't want to spoil it, aside from it was a great mindfuck book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I just finished An Anonymous Girl and Catch and Kill (the Ronan Farrow book).

An Anonymous Girl was okay. I think it kind of stalled in the middle, and I thought that the choice in perspective for Dr. Shield's chapters was a bit clunky. I get that what the author was trying to convey about her personality by writing in that style but it kind of seemed of forced. I liked the ending though!

Catch and Kill was a really fun ride. It reads like a kind of spy novel but it all actually happened, which is a trip. I remember reading pretty much all of the stories about Harvey Weinstein when all that poo poo came out, and some stories about NBC essentially trying to cover it up, but holy poo poo the details of them trying to kill the story were amazing. I went into the book not expecting to be surprised but I very much was. I enjoyed the hell out of it.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
I just finished Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo. I enjoyed Ninth House so I figured I'd check out some of her other books, and this was really fun!

It being pitched as an Ocean's 11-style story with magic was a pretty solid description! I love heist poo poo in general (especially kinda silly stuff like the show Leverage), and this very much scratched that itch. I finished the last page and grabbed the sequel immediately after.

I kind of look forward to the Netflix adaptation of this universe that's coming out at some point, though I haven't read the main trilogy that apparently set up the lore for this so we'll see.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
Just finished A Libertarian Walks Into A Bear and holy poo poo.

I think this is the funniest book I've ever read.

If you're not familiar, it's about a libertarian "Free Town Project" where a bunch of people moved to a small town in New Hampshire to do a sort of Galt's Gulch-style semi-lawless utopia. It didn't go well. It went about as well as every goon project ever attempted. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if there were actual goons that took part in this clusterfuck.

Essentially, they ended up with (among myriad other things) a severe bear problem.

Anyway, it's a compelling read and very informative about
1. Bears
2. Libertarians
3. The history of bear problems in NH
4. The history of libertarian sentiment in NH

I loving loved it.

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
Just finished Rule of Wolves by Leigh Bardugo and I enjoyed it! I really enjoyed Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom and King of Scars quite a bit so if you liked those, this book fits in perfectly into the series.

I don’t really have much else to say other than it’s a good (presumed) end to the series (though it’s possible that Bardugo might announce another duology/trilogy in this universe at some point in the future).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farten Barfen
Dec 30, 2018
Finished I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy and while not super riveting, it was an interesting and very sad portrait of childhood abuse and eating disorders.