Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I'm always reading 3 or 4 books at a time.

I just finished Bangkok Babylon, an anthology of short narratives chronicling 25 of Bangkok's most famous ex-patriates. While the beginning of the book was awesome (they interview the basis for Colonel Kurtz), some of the ex-pats he declared as "infamous" actually turned out to be quite mundane and boring.

And on the heels of that, I finally finished Double Billing, a mishmash of several lawyers' experiences in a big firm environment into one life. It gave me a good idea of what a big firm litigator does but the story as a whole just doesn't feel believable.

In about two days, I'll be finishing A Nontechnical Introduction to Game Theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Baby Babbeh posted:

Next on the list: Bias by Bernard Goldberg.

Stick it out through the first few chapters, it gets slightly better after he stops trying to hate gently caress Dan Rather.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

perceptual_set posted:

Where did you find it? None of the stores around here have copies and I don't have the patience for shipping times.

I found it in Half-Price books in the "Old, old fiction section. The one that doesn't have those pretty hardcovers or mass-market paperbacks. The books that are printed on all that crappy yellow paper" section.

I just tore through the apathy section of Douglas Coupland's work. Aside from Generation X, he didn't really seem as relevant. Throughout Microserfs and jPod, he keeps trying to imply that he's relevant and still hip and understands the mind of a twenty-something, even though he's moving into his 30s-40s. He just doesn't have the bitterness or the cleverness that made Generation X great.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

perceptual_set posted:

The Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger

I absolutely adored this book. I'd always had a bad image of this book for some odd reason and when I mentioned to a coworker that I had never read it before, he bought me a copy. So I read it and fell in love with it. It's insightful, hilarious and I think all of us have a little Holden Caulfield in us. I usually don't find humor in books as old as my father to be that funny but I found myself cracking up at Holden's dry sense of humor. I thought his sister was adorable and nearly cried when she walked up to the museum with her bags packed.

You really need to try out Franny and Zooey if that's the case. It's a bit of Catcher in the Rye, except that it grew up a lot. That's the simplest way to describe it. I ended up liking it a lot better than Catcher.

I just finished The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I was a bit underwhelmed by the last 100 pages, but the first 100 flowed and had me captivated. Esther was more interesting in her descent into madness and her disillusionment with the world.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Coconut Pete posted:

I just finished The Dwarf by Pär Lagerkvist and it was pretty much awesome. Piccoline is one of the most interesting characters I've encountered. I for the most part read sci-fi and fantasy but this book makes it to my "one of the best books I've ever read" list. I will probably check out The Sibyl or something else by the same author.

I dug it but I didn't view Piccoline as a character- the entire time, he felt like The darkness within the Prince. All of the Dwarf's thoughts are negative at all times, he craves and clamors for war, the Prince still keeps him around and even in the end, the Prince will still have use for his dwarf.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 14, 2008

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Just finished Everything Matters by Ron Currie Jr. It's pretty rough and you can see that Currie's still figuring out his style. There's a lot of deus ex machina and the story doesn't go the way the synopses make you believe it will. The world ending is just a backdrop- the book is more about the importance of family.

Eh.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

B B posted:

Now I'm working on The Winter of Our Discontent by Steinbeck. I've read and enjoyed Of Mice and Men and The Grapes of Wrath so we'll see how this one goes.

I found that one a little weak actually.

But I just finished East of Eden and oh my god it was fantastic. It was really the first generation-sprawling novel I've read but it was captivating.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Franco Potente posted:

Huh. I'm reading The Winter of Our Discontent too for a class, and I'm really not digging it. Probably because the main character is such an unlikeable rear end in a top hat.

Eh, I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be an unlikeable rear end in a top hat. There were just major pacing issues.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

RebBrownies posted:

I am going to read it next XD
I loved the first one but drat Kvothe needs to clam down.
I hope the third makes him a bit more relateable but we'll see.

There's no way he can conclude this thing in one drat book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Relentlessboredomm posted:

I just finished this today after picking it up thanks to a Brain Pickings recommendation. God drat that woman can write. A book of advice columns is not exactly my cup of tea but she just completely knocks you on your rear end with her own life stories that she uses to illustrate points. I can't think of anyone who shouldn't read this. Easily the best book I've read in the last few months. I'm going to buy a few copies for friends/family.

These two posts made me perk up. I'm not big on advice columns.

HOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLY gently caress some of the writing in here is phenomenal. Just absolutely mindblowing.