Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

I just got done with Soldier of Sidon, by Gene Wolfe, the long-delayed sequel to Soldier of the Mists and Soldier of Arete (also published as Latro of the Mists).

It was disappointing, especially as compared to the first two books. Wolfe did a pretty good job portraying classical Egypt but the whole thing seemed pointless. I'll re-read it in about six months to see if I pick up anything new.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Juxtaposed posted:

Just last night I finished My Brain is Open by Bruce Schechter, a fantastic account of mathematician Paul Erdos' life. It's the most recent book in something of a math history binge, a topic which turns out to be either impossibly boring or incredibly interesting.

I read that too. Paul Erdos is one of those people whom you can't make up because they're too unbelievable. (The 25 years of amphetamines don't help the plausibility either)

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Just finished two books:

The Evening Star by Henry Cooper, about the Magellan probe that orbited Venus for a few years in the earl 90s. It was a decent look at the scientists on the team and the science as it was practised. It might be a little too technical for a general audience as he spent a bit of time on how the various algorithms on the spacecraft screwed up.

Fluke, by Christopher Moore. I thought this was ok for the first 2/3 or so but then it just went off the rails at a key event. Not Moore's best.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Captain Alatriste, by Arturo Perez-Riveste. Fun short book about an ex-soldier in seventeenth century Spain (1623 if Wikipedia is to be believed) and some buckled swashes. I skipped over the poetry :shobon:, but there's a throwaway The Three Musketeers reference.

The Spirit Gate, by Kate Elliot. Generic fantasy decently done.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Sung in Blood, by Glen Cook. I figure this is Cook's take on Doc Savage and while I like the idea the execution was very weak. It's stripped-down minimalist writing and although it made the plot go by fast the reading experience suffered. There's a hook for a second volume that never appeared; maybe if Cook had worked a little harder on this one we'd be talking about this series along with Black Company and Garret.

Recommended for Cook fans.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Snake Agent, Liz Williams. Chinese cop in near future with high tech and also Chinese gods and demons and Hell and the tao. Basic plot: the infernal Ministry of Epidemics is making a power move and the protagonist and a demon cop/functionary assigned to the Ministry of Wealth have to find and stop them. There's also a demon refugee married to the human cop and ghost prostitutes and various crap like that. The idea's good but the execution was sort of lame. There's a sequel out but I'm not going to bother.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Bangkok 8, John Burdett. Kind of mediocre. A little too heavy on the supernatural for my tastes. I see he's got a couple sequels but I'm not going to read them.

Maze of Stars, John Brunner. Early 90s sf that I first read back when and was identified for me in a recent thread. The first few sections were good but then it just dragged on and dissolved into a series of vignettes.

The Spriggan Mirror, Lawrence Watt Evans. Latest completed installment of his long-running Ethshar series, self-serialized online because the publishers wanted him to write stuff that sells better. If you read the earlier books you'd recognize the plot by the title, if you didn't read the earlier books they aren't bad if (a) you like light fantasy and (b) you can find them; also (3) they are mostly better than this one.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Scar Night, Alan Campbell. Angels of dark gods, dark gods, assassins, poisons, crazy tribesmen, crazy fathers, fighting zeppelins, general ickiness. Kind of tedious in places but overall surprisingly decent. A poor man's China Mieville.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The Clumsiest People in Europe: Or, Mrs. Mortimer's Bad-Tempered Guide to the Victorian World, edited by Todd Pruzan. Two hundred pages of calumny and libel against every race, ethnicity, and nation of the world (except the English and some of the peoples who are almost English) for children of the early Victorian era.

Bad Astronomy by Phil Plait, operator of the website of the same name. Astrologers, UFOlogists, creationists, moon deniers, kooks, and other freaks are attacked over the course of this book as the author tries to knock the bunk out of each of them. I'm part of the choir to whom he was already preaching so my views are pre-colored.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

LooseChanj posted:

Eric, Terry Pratchett.

Jesus that was a quick $8. <:(>

In the list of discworld novels, it says "with Josh Kirby" but nothing about this actual paperback even hints at a co-author. :wtf:

The original edition was illustrated.

Edit for on-topic: Startide Rising, David Brin. I got a hankering to re-read this recently. It's aged a little bit, and I'm not sure if I like the revised edition, but it's still a classic of early-80s sf.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Fly Me to the Moon by Belbruno, about the invention of a new class of orbital transfers. The standard method for going to, say, the Moon is to use a big rocket to get to Earth orbit, a MASSIVE THRUST to get on an elliptical trajectory in the direction of the Moon, and another MASSIVE THRUST a couple days later to slow down enough to be captured in lunar orbit. These new methods involve using the big rocket to get to Earth orbit, but then using a little engine to get to a high enough orbit where the gravity of the Earth and Moon is starting to cancel out or at least get weird and then fire a little burst of the engines to get on a crazy wandering path and eventually nestle into an elliptical lunar orbit a couple months later.

It was a little heavy on "JPL and Hughes are screwing me again :argh:" and more diagrams would have been nice (there are a bunch of hand-drawn (!) ones already) and a little short for :20bux: but not bad overall.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Robot Bastard posted:

Actually, we already knew about that. It's more efficient than the Hohmann Transfer, but not to the point where it's worth the extended travel time (unless you're talking about huge distances, i.e. travelling from the Earth to Neptune...and you don't mind taking thirty years to get there.)

Now I'm wondering what Belbruno's point in writing the book was v:unsmith:v

Also finished: One Good Turn, Witold Rybczynski, a short book about what the author decided was the most important tool of the millenium, the screwdriver. He traces the ancestry of the screw-as-fastener back to the 13th century (or so) and then moves forward with the development of the screwdriver, ending with a chapter on Archimedes and the water screw.

Also also finished: The Invention that Changed the World, Robert Buderi. The invention/discovery of radar, its uses in WWII, and subsequent development. Pretty interesting, but I thought it dragged at the end.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Giant Telescopes, W.Patrick McCray, about the development of, well, giant telescopes since the Hale 'scope in the 40s. It started out interesting but by the end it was just one big blur of meetings and crises. Not recommended.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

krustster posted:

Whoah, excuse me? Is that literally what it's about, or is that some kind of metaphor? Because that sounds amazingly awesome.

Yep, that's what it's about, except filtered through a geek lens. (His A Colder War, collected in Toast, is the same idea but better IMO)

Me, I haven't had a lot of time to read for fun lately, but I did manage to get enough time to finish The Cheater's Guide to Baseball, about all the ways in which player and teams can bend or break the written and unwritten rules, from the relatively legal (sign stealing, specialized groundskeeping) through the mild illegal (spitballs, featuring Gaylord Perry) to the worst of the worst (betting on baseball, with chapters on the Black Sox and Pete Rose).

Recommended for baseball fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, LeCarre. This had been on my "to read" stack for a long time until I needed a book to read while my car was being serviced. Fast-paced, short (by modern standards) novel about counterintelligence. Kind of quaint nowadays since the end of the Cold War (LeCarre mentions this in a forward, but the settings of 1970s London and the boys' school are even more removed than the possibility of being buried by the Soviets)

Sarilith posted:

Next I'm going to read DragonLance Legends Volume 3: Test of the Twins by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman I've read the first two twice, and honestly had no idea there was a third until I got bored and browsed through the rest of the pages of the second book and saw there was a third. I can't wait to see what happens after the second.

Why would you do such a thing :saddowns: