Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CUM CURMUDGEON
Feb 6, 2004

by DocEvil
Naked Lunch by Burroughs. Great read, but I was slightly put off by it starting off more structured and then spiraling into chaos.

Reading My Education now (pretty short, will only take me a few days) and I've requested The Adding Machine and Cities of the Red Night from my school's library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CUM CURMUDGEON
Feb 6, 2004

by DocEvil
Cities of the Red Night by William Burroughs. I truly believe that anyone who says Naked Lunch is his masterpiece hasn't read CotRN. The book has two separate storylines: The story of Noah Blake, set in 1702: a gunsmith who registers as a crewman with a shady captain named Opium Jones and becomes involved with a group of pirate revolutionaries who seek to bring down the Spanish armada, and the other storyline features Clem Snide, a present day private detective who is retained by a wealthy family to investigate the disappearance of his son. Things that eventually tie the two storylines together: a radioactive virus, ancient magic rituals, time travel, and a set of six cities said to have existed in the modern day Gobi Desert in the far past. If not for Burroughs' knack for satire and apocalyptic weirdness, this could have easily turned into some lame fantasy/historical fiction novel. The only thing that started to become annoying was the overabundance of constant homosexual depravity (much more so than any of his other books that I've read), but it still stands as one of the best books I've read in a long time.