Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bazooka_tooth
Jul 8, 2004

The police can't catch you if you were never there
I just finished Colson Whitehead's The Intuitionist. A very good book which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. I didn't like it as much as John Henry Days, but that's by no means a slight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bazooka_tooth
Jul 8, 2004

vivisectvnv posted:

White Noise by Don DeLillo

Excellent first 150+ pages, but then it sort of wanes off and the real meat of the book shines through, which is unfortunate because i loved the little vignette structure that preceded it, mostly because i'm a sucker for character driven novels.

But i was pretty happy with the read, especially since i'm slowly getting my feet wet with contemporary fiction. I can imagine this book being pretty good fodder for a screenplay...

Not enough to make a discussion thread about, but did you interpret the Airborne Chemical Event as a mid-life crisis?

Also, Professor of Hitler Studies, and the Nuns who worship JFK, were both hilarious, and in tune with the mid-life crisis theory.

bazooka_tooth
Jul 8, 2004

vivisectvnv posted:

Yes to the first question, although i guess it could be seen as the mere fact of facing one's mortality and the sum of your life

I'm not completely in agreement with the last two comments, especially since he started his career during a timeline before the book was written.

I loving loved Heinrich though...

I agree with you, I think I just typed it out poorly. Both things were hilarious, but only the second thing matches my theory.