Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The Two Deaths of Christopher Martin by William Golding of Lord of the Flies fame. A challenging but fulfilling piece of literature about a man's life in retrospect, and of how his mind reacts to adversity. Pretty darn good twist at the end too.

The Neon Wilderness by Nelson Algren. A collection of short stories by one of America's most undervalued writers. Stories about criminals, hustlers, thugs, druggies... Algren's characters are familiar while avoiding cliche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Read The Child Who Never Grew, Pearl S. Buck's short memoir about her intellectually disabled daughter. My own younger brother is going to be moving into a new home not far from my parents, so I might have been looking to read about how she dealt with all that emotionally. It's a fantastic, short memoir that covers giving birth to her daughter in China, raising her there, going to Japan afterwards and eventually the United States where she found an institution for her. Granted, the book is from 1950, so there is some antiquated terminology in it, but it's a very honest book about Buck's feelings, the differing approaches to how disabled people are cared for in China and the US at the time, and eventually Buck's own advice for people facing the same decisions about how best to care for a disabled child.

Here's a passage that stuck with me:

quote:

There is another father—they are not always fathers, either—whose boy loves to work with the cows. I see the lad sometimes, a handsome fellow. He is usually in the dairy barn, caring for the cows, brushing them clean, loving them. I saw his father there one day, that brilliant able man, and he said, “It does seem that if my boy can learn to use the milking machine he could learn to do something better.”

The head happened to be there that day and he said, “But there is nothing better for him, don’t you see? The best thing in the world for each of us is that which we can best do, because it gives us the feeling of being useful. That’s happiness.”