Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Romper Billson
Jul 14, 2005

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd
The last three books I read for pleasure, in reverse order, were:

Slaughterhouse Five, which as I mentioned in the classics thread was the first Vonnegut I ever read only because since it was such a 'classic' I thought it would be inaccessible. I thought it was great, and was kicking myself for not getting to it earlier.

Dracula, by Bram Stoker, the Penguin Critical Edition. Turns out I didn't like it nearly as much as I did when I was younger, because I got irritated by nearly all of Van Helsing's dialog and the epistolary nature of the book. I found the climax of the book extremely unsatisfying, too.

Red Storm Rising, by Tom Clancy. I'm not a huge Tom Clancy fan but this is an early book that's really about the process of fighting a war rather than espionage or anything that's politically high-stakes but very small-scale. As such there isn't really a strong main character and it's extremely straightforward (mindless, even). I enjoy it only because I read so much dry academic text that I love the cheap thrill of alternate histories in which there are massive tank battles, air raids on American carrier groups and submarine chases all in the same book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU