Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
The Fall of Rome and the End of Civilization by Bryan Ward-Perkins. The titles is a bit misleading, while Ward-Perkins argues that the End of Rome is seen too cosy in some recent books and studies his point would be better named The Violent Decline and Change of Half a Civilization, but still a good book.
The War for All the Oceans: From Nelson at the Nile to Napoleon at Waterloo by Roy Adkins and Lesley Adkins. Well written account of 1798-1815.
Enigma by Robert Harris. I love stories about Bletchley Park and next to Cryptonomicon this is the best I know.
Imperium by Robert Harris. I always like Cicero more than Caesar ;). Very entertaining if you like Court Room and Political drama.
Measuring the World by Daniel Kehlmann (I read the German original, so can't say if it is well translated). Wonderful story about Alexander von Humboldt and Carl Friedrich Gauß. We only see small sketches of both's life, very entertaining. Was a big, big hit in Germany, a shame I waited so long to read it. Big recommendation.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 16, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU