Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Allen Steele's Coyote trilogy.

Not bad. I'll have to read the related book, Spindrift, next.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I hadn't read any Stephen King since finishing The Dark Tower series, but I was in the Goodwill shop and picked up a jacketless hardcover copy of From a Buick 8 for $2.

I paid $1.98 too much.

Waiting for a bus is more suspenseful than anything that happened in the book. Even all of the weird rear end creatures that came out of the trunk were boring. The characters all seem like secondary characters from King's previous books. I never cared for any of them or what happened to them. I forced my way to the end (thankfully it was short for a King novel) just to see if there would be any closure. There wasn't.

Tobe Hooper is on board to direct the movie version. King and Richard Chizmar are writing the screenplay. Chizmar also wrote the screenplay for Road House 2.

This does not bode well.

Look for this one to hit the $5 bin at Walmart weeks after it's released.

To torture myself even more, I bought Cell for a buck from the library. At least with that one, King hits the ground running. However, just a few chapters in it's staring to look like The Stand lite.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Finished Stephen King's Cell.

Seriously, Stephen, just stop writing "horror" and move on to another genre. This was no more than a lame re-hash of The Stand. There was little or no suspense usually found in his previous works.

Maybe the movie will be better.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Finished Until I Find You by John Irving. And with that, I am done with him. There's still quite a few of his novels I haven''t read, but I've had enough.

Miserable people living miserable lives in miserable places and dying miserable deaths.

Garp was the first "adult" book I ever read (I was 16 when it came out) and I enjoyed Owen Meany, but I don't think I can take any more.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Captain Hotbutt posted:

The Sirens of Titan - Kurt Vonnegut

I read most of Vonnegut's stuff in high school ( a loooooooong time ago) and have wanted to revisit him, but I'm afraid of what I might think now.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
I recently finished The Last Policeman trilogy. The impending doom framework was depressing as all gently caress, but the stories were well done.

I found the ending satisfactory even though I half-expected it to be a dream of some kind or the asteroid to be deflected.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Man, I remember picking up an Ellison anthology out of curiosity because one of my favourite authors loved his stuff. Like you, I was disappointed. Most of the stories were on the same level as a middling episode of the Twilight Zone.

Shatterday was an episode of the 1985 Twilight Zone. Bruce Willis was the main character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owr6FvvEeY0

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Cythereal posted:

Foundryside

Just finished the trilogy a few weeks ago. Usually, magic-based fiction is not my cup of tea, but as you said, there's an interesting twist on magic in this series.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

verbal enema posted:

Also just finished Hyperion by Dan Simmons and now I gotta read the rest of the trilogy(?) now

I enjoyed the entire series. I usually go back and reread it every few years.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Slow Apocaplypse by John Varley. A rare non-sci-fi outing. The plot is an engineered bacteria was created to take out the Saudi Arabian oil supply by destroying all their crude oil as payback for the 9/11 attack (but only for a very specific reason). Unfortunately, the bacteria becomes airborne and ends up destroying all the crude oil in the world.

The story centers around a Hollywood sitcom writer who discovers the truth early and takes measures to prepare and save his family. It then turns into a standard world-gone-to-hell story as the man, his family, and some of his surviving friends trying to find a place to settle.

Not Varley's best work. For a brief moment, I expected the ending to be the writer to reveal this was all just a screenplay, but it didn't happen.