Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Davros1 posted:

You really shouldn't

What's wrong with Raw Deal? It's probably the one Arnold film that I don't know poo poo about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

For a mid-80s Arnold film, it's just so dull.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Even as a child who loved Arnold movies, I could never get through Raw Deal. And for some reason, the broadcast version had interpolated frames or something, so it always had that soap opera shot on video look.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Pastry of the Year posted:

RAW DEAL

e: holy poo poo Darren McGavin was in this? I should watch it

wait the mad max lady too?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The movie I'm trying to think of was late 80's or early 90's. It took place on a giant spaceship (or moon colony, can't remember) where one of the only forms of entertainment was watching aliens fight eachother. No human had ever won a fight until the protagonist enters and proceeds to kick the poo poo out of everyone. It was basically blood sport in space.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

The movie I'm trying to think of was late 80's or early 90's. It took place on a giant spaceship (or moon colony, can't remember) where one of the only forms of entertainment was watching aliens fight eachother. No human had ever won a fight until the protagonist enters and proceeds to kick the poo poo out of everyone. It was basically blood sport in space.

The Running Man?

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Timby posted:

The Running Man?

No, there were definitely tons of aliens in the movie I'm thinking of and little to no Richard Dawson.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

No, there were definitely tons of aliens in the movie I'm thinking of and little to no Richard Dawson.

God, I'm trying to think of an "alien Bloodsport movie" and I'm just drawing a total blank. Galaxy of Terror? Enemy Mine, maybe? Not quite the premise, though.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Arena (1989). https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101366/

Here's the whole movie for a nostalgia blast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utAn6h2ee-4

God that was one of my childhood staples alongside Robot Jox.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DandyLion posted:

Here's the whole movie for a nostalgia blast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utAn6h2ee-4

Marc Alaimo and Armin Shimerman? Okay, sold.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DandyLion posted:

Yes! Thank you! My Uncle had this and Berry Gordy's the Last Dragon on one of those extended 7 hour VHS tapes.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Whoa. That's a good combo.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Which movie had Lochlyn Munro demanding someone kick him in the junk multiple times?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Leavemywife posted:

Which movie had Lochlyn Munro demanding someone kick him in the junk multiple times?

This feels like something that would happen in Dead Man on Campus but I don't think that's it.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Timby posted:

This feels like something that would happen in Dead Man on Campus but I don't think that's it.

Uh, I'm pretty sure its Dead Man on Campus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nA5Swedyrc

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

DandyLion posted:

damnit one movie I could have ID'd

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Exactly. It's one of those that your heart sinks when you see the number of new posts is greater than one. This was my moment!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just wanted to pop in and say Arena (1989) holds up much better than I anticipated. You can tell they blew the majority of their budget on the first fight between Armstrong and the big grasshopper alien but the puppetry and practical effects aged well.

I kind of miss pre-cgi alien designs where they would say “ just give Shorty some forehead wrinkles and 4 arms”.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
Not sure if this was a film or 2-part TV miniseries... It's American or Canadian, but I saw it on TV in the UK, on channel 5. It was either on TV in the late 90s, or it was the 2000s.

There's some kind of alien invasion happening, and random people in an American city suddenly get strange compulsions to do things and build things. (Not sure if they were under alien control, or if were actually the good guys, and they use the things they build to fight the aliens.)

The one bit I clearly remember is that there's a guy who stays home from work and starts dismantling his home electronics and turning it into stuff. He dismantles his CD player, and along with various other thingamajigs he's able to use the CD player's laser to build a pistol-sized disintegrating ray gun. I remember he shoots this red beam at some guy who is up against a chainlink fence in an ally, and it disintegrates him.

It's NOT Robin Cook's Invasion (1997), just had a quick look through that and none of the characters or situations look familiar and nobody builds laser guns out of CD players.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Very likely Stephen King's The Tommyknockers. Fun but a bad ending like most of his miniseries.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Sounds a bit like Stephen King's Tommyknockers.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Don't know what it is, but it's not tommyknockers.

If it's red lasers, it is not. Green is the energy color theme of it. Also the only one who made a death laser was the postmaster. In a lipstick container no less!

I love king miniseries way to much.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 19, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

your evil twin posted:

Not sure if this was a film or 2-part TV miniseries... It's American or Canadian, but I saw it on TV in the UK, on channel 5. It was either on TV in the late 90s, or it was the 2000s.

There's some kind of alien invasion happening, and random people in an American city suddenly get strange compulsions to do things and build things. (Not sure if they were under alien control, or if were actually the good guys, and they use the things they build to fight the aliens.)

The one bit I clearly remember is that there's a guy who stays home from work and starts dismantling his home electronics and turning it into stuff. He dismantles his CD player, and along with various other thingamajigs he's able to use the CD player's laser to build a pistol-sized disintegrating ray gun. I remember he shoots this red beam at some guy who is up against a chainlink fence in an ally, and it disintegrates him.

It's NOT Robin Cook's Invasion (1997), just had a quick look through that and none of the characters or situations look familiar and nobody builds laser guns out of CD players.

Raiders of the Living Dead?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgDSOOcV-W8

Has a kid build a laser out of a Laser Disc player. But probably not it as its huge gun and you said a small one.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
It's not Tommyknockers. As World Famous W correctly points out, that has a green lipstick deathray, all the sci-fi energy stuff in Tommyknockers is green. But whatever I'm thinking of definitely has some kind of similar concept to that.

Happyhippy, That Raiders of the Living Dead isn't it either, but surprisingly close in concept! That might be fun to watch for a laugh.

But yeah, in the thing I'm thinking of, the resulting raygun was indeed much smaller, and the miniseries/film was 90s or 2000s, definitely wasn't mid-80s.

I wish I could remember anything else useful about the film/miniseries!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
A friend was telling me he saw an animated movie in the theatre in the 80s about a moose. Says it was like Bambi but he can't find evidence of it anywhere.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Sgt. Politeness posted:

A friend was telling me he saw an animated movie in the theatre in the 80s about a moose. Says it was like Bambi but he can't find evidence of it anywhere.

The American Rabbit had a chocolate moose in it.

Happy_Cat
Jul 21, 2006
Welcome to the internet!
Hey hoping someone can help me out, me and my friend were talking about a movie neither of us can quite remember. Some plot points:

- Some guys are after a girl and some dude tries to her protect her from them. Turns out at the end they are all part of the same cult(?) and they want to sacrifice the dude.
- They use a ring of salt in a grimy apartment at some point.
- Was likely made in the late 80's early 90's.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, this is driving us both insane.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Happy_Cat posted:

Hey hoping someone can help me out, me and my friend were talking about a movie neither of us can quite remember. Some plot points:

- Some guys are after a girl and some dude tries to her protect her from them. Turns out at the end they are all part of the same cult(?) and they want to sacrifice the dude.
- They use a ring of salt in a grimy apartment at some point.
- Was likely made in the late 80's early 90's.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, this is driving us both insane.

Spellbinder.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Trying to remember an old (80s?) war film I watched as a kid. Possibly a made for TV movie.

Set in the trenches in WW1 from the American perspective. The protagonist was a young soldier (probably a private) who at some point is in a battle with the Germans, but runs away and is accused of cowardice back in his own trenches. He pulls out a pistol and claims “I shot those Germans!”. His pistol is taken off him by an officer (who is his father), who examines it and says “this pistol has never been fired”.

Can’t remember much else but the second to final scene was the soldier in a prison cell awaiting his execution at dawn. His father visits him and says “do you really think I’d let them shoot my own son?” or words to that effect, and tells him that as he is in charge of the firing squad he’ll make sure they’re all firing blanks.

In the final scene our hero matches bravely to the firing squad, obviously expecting to just have to play dead until everyone’s gone. Of course his father hasn’t kept his promise and the son is shot, presumably his fathers plan was to make sure his son died bravely and not as a coward. The father gives the coup de grace.

My brain has made Lee Marvin the father and Robin Williams (?!) the son but their filmographies and google are giving me nothing. Any ideas?

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

duckmaster posted:

Trying to remember an old (80s?) war film I watched as a kid. Possibly a made for TV movie.

Set in the trenches in WW1 from the American perspective. The protagonist was a young soldier (probably a private) who at some point is in a battle with the Germans, but runs away and is accused of cowardice back in his own trenches. He pulls out a pistol and claims “I shot those Germans!”. His pistol is taken off him by an officer (who is his father), who examines it and says “this pistol has never been fired”.

Can’t remember much else but the second to final scene was the soldier in a prison cell awaiting his execution at dawn. His father visits him and says “do you really think I’d let them shoot my own son?” or words to that effect, and tells him that as he is in charge of the firing squad he’ll make sure they’re all firing blanks.

In the final scene our hero matches bravely to the firing squad, obviously expecting to just have to play dead until everyone’s gone. Of course his father hasn’t kept his promise and the son is shot, presumably his fathers plan was to make sure his son died bravely and not as a coward. The father gives the coup de grace.

My brain has made Lee Marvin the father and Robin Williams (?!) the son but their filmographies and google are giving me nothing. Any ideas?

I think this is a Tales From The Crypt episode called Yellow.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Crypt Keeper: Firing squad! Present arms! Hello creeps. I was just about to fire off tonight's deadtime story. It's about a young soldier who doesn't want to be in the army anymore. I can't imagine why not! I mean war's a great opportunity destroyer.

It's actually one of the most famous episodes of Tales From the Crypt. Father was Kirk Douglas and son was Eric Douglas (few other famous people in the cast and directed by Robert Zemeckis): https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0716911

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
That’s it exactly, thank you both very much 😊

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Hate to ask about something so recent, but this movie is apparently impossible to Google. It came out in the mid 2010s, probably on some streaming service. It was a slow-burn indie horror movie about a guy who decides to camp/live alone in the woods in a tent because something went wrong with his life. I think it was filmed in Canada, but I'm not sure. He starts seeing or being followed by another man, who is pretty much non-verbal. At some point he breaks into someone's house to take a shower. There is almost no dialogue in the movie. Appreciate it if anyone has an idea, because Google is pretty sure I'm thinking of Man vs.

Heem
Jun 2, 2013

Esme posted:

Hate to ask about something so recent, but this movie is apparently impossible to Google. It came out in the mid 2010s, probably on some streaming service. It was a slow-burn indie horror movie about a guy who decides to camp/live alone in the woods in a tent because something went wrong with his life. I think it was filmed in Canada, but I'm not sure. He starts seeing or being followed by another man, who is pretty much non-verbal. At some point he breaks into someone's house to take a shower. There is almost no dialogue in the movie. Appreciate it if anyone has an idea, because Google is pretty sure I'm thinking of Man vs.

Bit of a long shot, but could it be Buster’s Mal Heart?

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

Heem posted:

Bit of a long shot, but could it be Buster’s Mal Heart?

Definitely not, but thanks for trying.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Esme posted:

Another long shot, but maybe Blue Ruin?

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Esme posted:

Is it The Interior?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4839476/reference

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

A man inherits (?) a cinema and tries to make it a successful business.
There are two cinemas in the town and at first he thinks the new, successful one is his. He asks the doorman 'how's business?', to which he replies 'I wouldn't know sir, I mind my own'.
His cinema is old fashioned and staffed by cranky old people who dislike each other and each of them asks him to be rude to the others, but not fire them as they are the only ones who can do their respective jobs.

Possibly British, possibly from the 60s

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

bitterandtwisted posted:

A man inherits (?) a cinema and tries to make it a successful business.
There are two cinemas in the town and at first he thinks the new, successful one is his. He asks the doorman 'how's business?', to which he replies 'I wouldn't know sir, I mind my own'.
His cinema is old fashioned and staffed by cranky old people who dislike each other and each of them asks him to be rude to the others, but not fire them as they are the only ones who can do their respective jobs.

Possibly British, possibly from the 60s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Smallest_Show_on_Earth

Maybe this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

That was it! Thank you!