Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Turbinosamente posted:

:same: But I am more torn up about the cool basses than the cool guitars. :cry:
I have, curiously enough, seen more killer multi-scale basses as of recently, including Nolly's (former Periphery's bass player) own signature, become available, so there is some hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Guys, I like the Talman.

Back when I was in college someone left an Ibanez catalog and I drooled over the Talmans, then ~20+ years later I ran across one for a cheap price in a pawn shop.

One of the original ones with the "resincast" body. It played great, but the neck was perpetually sticky and the pickups lackluster. With them being somewhat collectible I didn't feel good about changing or modifying anything. Had it for a year or two, then it went out the door in my 2020 gear purge.

I do want one of the more recent ones with the Tele pickups, because can you have too many Teles?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Double post because I realize I've bought a bunch of stuff again.

Kingston solid state amp from the 60s or 70s. Had a bad fried bacon sound going that was fixed by changing one cap that was obviously bad and then the speaker. Oddly enough, it was a 4" speaker that looked identical to the one I replaced in my Fender Greta, so basically replaced for free from the parts box! Got the amp with a "vintage" Radio Shack mixer for $20, then sold the mixer for $25.

Also picked this up, Danelectro Dirty Thirty chassis with speaker to use as an extension cab on the Greta.

And from a pawn shop

~1999 Korean(I think) Jackson Kelly with a hard case. Not really something I need or wanted, but the case is worth more than I paid, and the guitar itself is in pretty good shape and plays good.

Then today, this arrived.

Made in Korea Squier Master Series Chambered Tele. 24.75" scale, set neck, "Adjust-o-Matic" bridge, pretty much a Les Paul in a Tele shape. Weight is around 6.5lbs and till has the plastic on the control cavity covers on the back. Plays great, and goes well the the Master Series Esprit and M-80 I also have.

M-80

Esprit

There's a Tele Thinline that was part of that series as well, so I should probably get one of these at some point.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Guys, I like the Talman.
I traded my awesome Lindy Fralin-loaded MiM Tele to my Dad for that insane Zion so I need and want another Tele.

In the meantime, I still have my Talman and I LOVE it. It's got a great 12" radius neck, 22 frets, and I put insanely expensive Joe Barden Electronics Danny Gatton pickups in it, with the "tone-knob becomes a wah-wah mod."

It's so easy to play and has all the Tele spank in the universe thanks to those pickups. The volume and tone positions are switched so you can reach the tone knob with your pinky while playing.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/S6Wwk1A.mp4

I got a controller, because I want to try and make music without having to mic the drums in the other room, mic the amp, etc etc etc

and also to feed my shiny glowy things obsession

37 keys, big enough to maybe use two hands, small enough to fit on and/or near the desk

I don't really have any skill at playing the keys, having something close at hand to gently caress with at my desk should hopefully help with me working on that

so far I haven't messed with the mini-ableton included with it really at all, I've just been plugged into dexed, making weird fm synth noises and enjoying that I can do that

I really need to change/turn off the key velocity settings, you gotta hammer on the keys to get a full-velocity hit, and trying to play chords, everything hits at different velocities every single time. this isn't a concert grand, just let me loving jam

especially when I'm making organ sounds

hexwren fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 23, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Casio SK-5 in...acceptable condition? It can sample either four 0.7s sounds or two 1.4s sounds and it’s almost as old as I am. Built in mic seems to be busted but it works with an external, and the results are right in that sweet spot of not great as a sampler, but interesting and unique as a tone.

Got it on half price day too, so only $9 and change. Even with its issues that ain’t bad for a keyboard that goes for $200ish on Reverb.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Guys, I like the Talman.
Oh, me too! Just I've never seen one in LH.

Speaking of which, when is Fender going to make a LH Mustang? :smith:

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

betterinsodapop posted:

Oh, me too! Just I've never seen one in LH.

Speaking of which, when is Fender going to make a LH Mustang? :smith:

https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/products/fender-mij-traditional-60s-mustang-sonic-blue-lefty-w-matching-headcap-cme-exclusive

Limited edition is probably the best we're ever gonna get :smith:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
gently caress, that Esprit is gorgeous. I want one but there's never any local. How's it compare to the standards (Strat , LP, etc)?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

gently caress, that Esprit is gorgeous. I want one but there's never any local. How's it compare to the standards (Strat , LP, etc)?

It's got a big fat rear end. The lower bout is 14" wide, which is only 1" wider than a Tele, Strat or Les Paul, but it really seems way wider because the waist is where the neck pick up is on a Strat or Tele so the body itself is so much longer. This one is also near to 8 pounds, and I'm a baby about anything over 7 due to a bad shoulder and back. Standing up it feels smaller, but my back doesn't put up with the weight for long.

I know some people that don't like the neck because it's "too thin" but I really wonder what they think a normal profile should be because it feels pretty average to me. Pretty much identical to what's on the M80 and the Tele, and I would imagine most Korean made guitars from around the time period.

This one did need a setup before I was happy with it, was a turd straight out of the box. It was also being sold on Clearance by Overstock back in 2007 for about half what they were new. The Master Series did not sell very well, probably because 15 years ago asking $300+ for a Squier was kind of crazy.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Wow this thing owns. I was always disappointed that Fender half-assed their Troublemaker Teles from a few years back. If you're gonna do it, do it right!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Don't buy the one on Reverb I'm talking my friend into getting it.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

So in a fit of nostalgia, I found the guitar I played through high school in the 80s and bought it. Not the exact one but the same model/finish. It is actually pretty rare, maybe for good reason. I'm not much of a crackle fan at this point in my life but shits been rough and it makes me happy to look at it. I'll probably post it in the stupid music poo poo thread also.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Luna posted:

So in a fit of nostalgia, I found the guitar I played through high school in the 80s and bought it. Not the exact one but the same model/finish. It is actually pretty rare, maybe for good reason. I'm not much of a crackle fan at this point in my life but shits been rough and it makes me happy to look at it. I'll probably post it in the stupid music poo poo thread also.

That’s basically the coolest thing I’ve ever seen.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Having deja vu right now. From March, 2019

widefault posted:

Happy Birthday to me

2007 Fender 60s Reverse Headstock Stratocaster, basically the current Hendrix Strat. Part of a special run for Musicians Friend, supposedly 700 made in white or black.

The body is beat up, big paint chips, warped pickguard, and a big screw through the pickguard, but the neck doesn't show a lot of wear and it plays great. Came with a tweed case and a strap.

Pawn shop gives 20% off on one item on your birthday, so I waited until today. It's been on the floor for a week, expected it to be gone at the $300 they were asking. With the 20% off, seemed like a no brainer.

And today, at the same pawn shop, I find this.

Same year, same model, but with a replaced pickguard with a normal bridge slant, no case, and in arguably better condition. Still has issues, looks like it had a wrap of some kind and the top of the guitar has been sanded/scuffed up. There's also a "dirt" line around the top edge. Neck plate and a couple bridge screws were replaced with gold ones for some reason. Some fret wear, nothing major. Previous owner did add large white fret markers to the side of the neck that seem to be in the paint, not sure if I can clean those up. Going to have to strip and scrub it down, see if it's a keeper.

Then there's this

Waiting for that random meteor to smash through my roof any second.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Great find!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Did you have to drive all the way to FLOO to get it?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Today accidentally turned into double NGD.

The Little Martin will live downstairs where I desperately needed to get its big brother out of harms way from a house full of kids. The Little they can hold easier, be a little rougher with, and sounds a lot more like a guitar than the Jim Dandy I tried out did.

The bass and amp came in trade and so far ... I think I might be a bass guy. I had something up for sale on FB marketplace for 150 and a guy asked me if I would take a trade because, "if I bring something else home without getting rid of something my wife will kill me."

He offered me the bass and before I could get done googling it, he threw in the amp too. "My wife will love that," he said.

Not a bad haul for a $150 trade. He offered cash to "make up the difference" but I was already over on him two to one.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 30, 2020

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
A couple of days ago I took advantage of the 25% off sale to become the proud owner of one (1) email saying that I will eventually be mailed a Postive Grid Spark amp. Ship date is supposedly mid-September, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm about to be out of the country for 6-8 weeks anyway, so idgaf.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

widefault posted:

Having deja vu right now. From March, 2019

And today, at the same pawn shop, I find this.

Same year, same model, but with a replaced pickguard with a normal bridge slant, no case, and in arguably better condition. Still has issues, looks like it had a wrap of some kind and the top of the guitar has been sanded/scuffed up. There's also a "dirt" line around the top edge. Neck plate and a couple bridge screws were replaced with gold ones for some reason. Some fret wear, nothing major. Previous owner did add large white fret markers to the side of the neck that seem to be in the paint, not sure if I can clean those up. Going to have to strip and scrub it down, see if it's a keeper.

Then there's this

Waiting for that random meteor to smash through my roof any second.

Whenever I walk into a pawn shop, the only thing I see are busted-up Ibanez superstrats and acoustics with Elvis bellies and 1" action. What a find in both cases.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

former glory posted:

Whenever I walk into a pawn shop, the only thing I see are busted-up Ibanez superstrats and acoustics with Elvis bellies and 1" action. What a find in both cases.

For some reason I have had incredible luck at the shops here. One of them seems to price things to get their money back ASAP, but they still have their share of "normal"priced low-end stuff most of the time. And I know they're not screwing up the pricing, one of the people is fairly knowledgeable and has her husband come check anything they're not sure of. Why hold onto something for a year if it can be gone in a week. Hell, with this Strat they probably paid about $75. General rule is 30% what they think they can sell it for, and there was a covered pricetag on this one for $249.99.

The other shop definitely has no clue what they're doing. If it's not in the computer the workers made a half-assed guess so some things end up too high and some too low. If it's an "off" brand, chances are it'll be cheap. It also paid to get friendly with the folks working there, one guy would cut me great deals if I showed interest in something. Not sure if that'll be the case going forward, they just had their entire staff quit due to how lovely the management is!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

After hemming and hawing most of the summer, I ended up with a Squier Jazzmaster. Checked a lot of the right boxes (single coil pickups, brown fretboard), and it doesn't look half bad. I don't mind the neck finish on this nearly as much as I have some other Squiers either. I might even like it. Anyway...

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
The Squier Jazzmasters are one of the best values out there, IMO.

This week's purchases...

Eleca Thinline Tele. Eleca mostly makes cheap guitar accessories; strings, straps, etc., but have also made low-end guitars and effects pedals, like the Big Muff copy I have.

This thinline has a set neck and a bound body and fingerboard, definitely an attempt at taking on the bigger names.

Has a finish crack on the heel joint that is right along the joint between neck & body. It's also heavy for a thinline, about 8-1/2 pounds. Sounds good and plays pretty good.

Also bought a pair of Made in Japan Teisco/Guyatone goldfoils.

Not sure what I'm doing with these yet, they were just too cheap pass up. ~5.3KOhm each and stamped JAPAN on the bottom.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I am bad with money haha. 2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic in Ebony. My dream Les Paul.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

:drat:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
New (desktop) Amp Day!

THR30II. Total breeze to set up. Gonna give it the real test drive tomorrow afternoon.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Ooh shiny!

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

syntaxfunction posted:

I am bad with money haha. 2018 Gibson Les Paul Classic in Ebony. My dream Les Paul.

This is also one of my dream guitars. Instead I ended up getting the Epiphone '55 custom. Great guitar. Gold hardware. Gibson p90s. Huge neck, probably a little too big. Mahogany instead of maple top, not that I would notice the difference. But I keep looking at the Gibson wondering if I should "upgrade".

The only thing I would consider changing is I don't get along with the bridge pickup sometimes. So was considering changing it out for something a little hotter like a Duncan Vintage p90. Which despite it's name is way hotter than the Gibson in there.

Also toyed with the idea of getting an older BFG because of the humbucker/p90 combo because maybe a humbucker would be more my style. But don't love the "barely finished guitar" look. I have seen a few ways to get a humbucker in a p90 slot without routing, such as alternative form factors or modifying a HB baseplate.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

New (desktop) Amp Day!

THR30II. Total breeze to set up. Gonna give it the real test drive tomorrow afternoon.

Looks hella fun.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Gripen5 posted:

This is also one of my dream guitars. Instead I ended up getting the Epiphone '55 custom. Great guitar. Gold hardware. Gibson p90s. Huge neck, probably a little too big. Mahogany instead of maple top, not that I would notice the difference. But I keep looking at the Gibson wondering if I should "upgrade".

The only thing I would consider changing is I don't get along with the bridge pickup sometimes. So was considering changing it out for something a little hotter like a Duncan Vintage p90. Which despite it's name is way hotter than the Gibson in there.

Also toyed with the idea of getting an older BFG because of the humbucker/p90 combo because maybe a humbucker would be more my style. But don't love the "barely finished guitar" look. I have seen a few ways to get a humbucker in a p90 slot without routing, such as alternative form factors or modifying a HB baseplate.

Mini humbuckers.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Just going to barf my guitars into this thread and leave.

I tried to pick up guitar in my early 20s and it didn't stick. I had a Squier Strat from 2006 and we never got along and I was too inexperienced to understand why (because the tuners were outrageously bad) and I didn't have the correct mindset to learn. So it sat and did nothing for many years. Later, my then wife bought me a lovely Epiphone Les Paul which I love the look of, but can't say I particularly love the feel of the neck. I guess I just prefer a satin finish. Also I only ever had a lovely practice amp and I didn't know what I was doing so it never sounded particularly nice to me.

Then COVID happened this year and I found an online course that I really like about 6 weeks ago. The result was buying a Yamaha FG820. I really like playing acoustic and I hadn't expected to as much as I do. There's just something about the body humming away that I really like. Since I've learned and practiced more in 6 weeks that I ever did when trying to learn before, I dug my old guitars out of storage.

The Squier is my project guitar and the goal is to try to turn a guitar I had a bad time with into one I like. So I'm putting locking tuners on it, new trem, new pickups and giving it a new paint job. I may never be a strat guy but I'm trying. Currently looks like this:

I have to say, for a cheap rear end guitar the paint on the body was excellent, and not the work of a moment to get off. It was a real shame the tuners were so lovely. Stealth hazing of a newbie player.

This is the Les Paul. A case queen really. Lovely to look at and I was much happier with it once I got my Katana amp to try to do it justice. I still don't play it that much but I'm holding on to it for now. Ebony fretboard. Funnily enough I don't much like how the pearl insets feel.

I feel bad for not appreciating it more.

Then came the one that really got me properly hooked. The Yamaha:

I learned a lot about setting up the action on a guitar on this, what difference strings make and so on. I know now that eventually I'm going to get a mahogany top acoustic because I love the warmer tone, but the Yamaha is still great.

Then just the other day I had a whoopsie. I went into a guitar shop because I wanted to get my hands on some acoustic guitars for comparison to my Yamaha, especially some mahogany tops. I found some stuff I like and now I'm sure there's probably going to be a Taylor in my eventual collection, but I wasn't really there to buy. I also wandered in to the tele section because I never really loved my strat or Les Paul and I wanted to see if a simple tele would do it for me. The idea I had been kicking around was to build a tele (maybe a Pitbull?) when I was done with my strat. Anyway I just wanted to get a feel for it. This was a mistake because I clearly have impulse control issues.

:cripes:

I almost went with a 50s style neck because the chunky U was something different that I rather liked but ended up deciding on this one instead. It just agreed with me very quickly in a way my strat and Les Paul didn't. I love the sound. I love the simplicity. I love the look (it's very close to what I would have built for myself anyway). I never thought I'd spend that kind of money on an electric guitar but here we are. No buyers remorse yet. :D

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
New, used, cheap pedal day

Eleca Crush Fuzz. Only messed with it for a few minutes and I'm pretty happy. Spits and sputters and is barely controllable, just what I wanted.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

Just going to barf my guitars into this thread and leave.

I tried to pick up guitar in my early 20s and it didn't stick. I had a Squier Strat from 2006 and we never got along and I was too inexperienced to understand why (because the tuners were outrageously bad) and I didn't have the correct mindset to learn. So it sat and did nothing for many years. Later, my then wife bought me a lovely Epiphone Les Paul which I love the look of, but can't say I particularly love the feel of the neck. I guess I just prefer a satin finish. Also I only ever had a lovely practice amp and I didn't know what I was doing so it never sounded particularly nice to me.

Then COVID happened this year and I found an online course that I really like about 6 weeks ago. The result was buying a Yamaha FG820. I really like playing acoustic and I hadn't expected to as much as I do. There's just something about the body humming away that I really like. Since I've learned and practiced more in 6 weeks that I ever did when trying to learn before, I dug my old guitars out of storage.

The Squier is my project guitar and the goal is to try to turn a guitar I had a bad time with into one I like. So I'm putting locking tuners on it, new trem, new pickups and giving it a new paint job. I may never be a strat guy but I'm trying. Currently looks like this:

I have to say, for a cheap rear end guitar the paint on the body was excellent, and not the work of a moment to get off. It was a real shame the tuners were so lovely. Stealth hazing of a newbie player.

This is the Les Paul. A case queen really. Lovely to look at and I was much happier with it once I got my Katana amp to try to do it justice. I still don't play it that much but I'm holding on to it for now. Ebony fretboard. Funnily enough I don't much like how the pearl insets feel.

I feel bad for not appreciating it more.

Then came the one that really got me properly hooked. The Yamaha:

I learned a lot about setting up the action on a guitar on this, what difference strings make and so on. I know now that eventually I'm going to get a mahogany top acoustic because I love the warmer tone, but the Yamaha is still great.

Then just the other day I had a whoopsie. I went into a guitar shop because I wanted to get my hands on some acoustic guitars for comparison to my Yamaha, especially some mahogany tops. I found some stuff I like and now I'm sure there's probably going to be a Taylor in my eventual collection, but I wasn't really there to buy. I also wandered in to the tele section because I never really loved my strat or Les Paul and I wanted to see if a simple tele would do it for me. The idea I had been kicking around was to build a tele (maybe a Pitbull?) when I was done with my strat. Anyway I just wanted to get a feel for it. This was a mistake because I clearly have impulse control issues.

:cripes:

I almost went with a 50s style neck because the chunky U was something different that I rather liked but ended up deciding on this one instead. It just agreed with me very quickly in a way my strat and Les Paul didn't. I love the sound. I love the simplicity. I love the look (it's very close to what I would have built for myself anyway). I never thought I'd spend that kind of money on an electric guitar but here we are. No buyers remorse yet. :D

That Yamaha looks awesome and so is your tele. Sometimes your instincts make the best calls. If you grabbing the tele because it felt right in your hands is the thing that keeps you picking it up every day, then that's the move right there.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

former glory posted:

That Yamaha looks awesome and so is your tele. Sometimes your instincts make the best calls. If you grabbing the tele because it felt right in your hands is the thing that keeps you picking it up every day, then that's the move right there.

That's true.

I have to say I appreciate the Epiphone a little more when I play it back to back with the tele. It's interesting to see how close I can get the tele to sound to the twin humbuckers and makes me appreciate the difference between the two more. I was considering selling off the Les Paul but maybe I'll hold on to it.

I'm going to restring the Les Paul because I think I'm using too thick a gauge strings and they're catching on the nut, see if that helps hold the tune better. If not I think I might spring for some locking tuners since the grovers that are on there might not be as good as claimed. It's not like I'm doing any bending of any significance, so I don't feel like they should be so off so frequently. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the Tele.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Time to build a fuzz!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That looks like fun.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Somebody please stage an intervention. I am sick and need help.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Somebody please stage an intervention. I am sick and need help.

Do not intervene in this person's life, they make good choices. Sell whatever kids you have.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

BonHair posted:

Do not intervene in this person's life, they make good choices. Sell whatever kids you have.

I have none of my own but I live in a cul-de-sac and the neighbours let theirs play in the street and the dad has cancer anyway so when you think about it I'd be doing the widow a favour...

I'd picked up that 324 last week briefly when I bought my Tele and it left an impression. I'd come back today to check out an AD27e but it just wasn't even in the same league of quality which surprised me. So I played it back to back with the 324 which was an error because it reminded me how good the 324 was. The other thing that got me was they actually had 2 of the 324s, same strings and everything, but I could immediately tell which one I'd played for 5 minutes the week before even though the 2 324s physically felt the same. The difference in sound was pretty remarkable.

Also played it back to back with my Yamaha and the difference V bracing makes is bloody eerie.

I bought the nicer sounding one. sorry to whoever gets the other one. it's still good, just not as good as mine.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

First time hitting the magic dumpster since the pandemic and scored big time.

First up:

Which is kinda meh but I'll check it out.

Next up was the big score:

Looks like the speaker set itself free during shipping

Then they slashed it with a box cutter for...reasons

I've got a cabinet I can hook it up to for now:black101: