Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthur
Nov 28, 2005

It's like those miserable psalms, they're so depressing...
My christmas present to myself:

Thomann were doing a decent price on the original (non expanded, I don't need the extra bits) version, so I thought why not!
I've never used a decent orchestral library before, and holy poo poo am I impressed so far. Bit of a learning curve on the thing though mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Just bought this a couple days ago, and I love it.

:commissar:
(Formerly Colonial Air Force)

FreakingNeo
Jun 25, 2003

Night Rhythms
Won this from an auction today, no idea when it'll be here but hopefully next week. I just needed a nice little amp for little money while still giving me a nice sound :) From what I read on the internet, this one should be fine. It'll go nice with my Ibanez Artcore
also ordered a steel bottleneck cause i've been wanting to play with one for a while now

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
I just picked up this cool little gadget:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8e2b/

It's a keychain strobe tuner/flashlight/bottle opener. Exactly what I've always wanted to carry around in my pocket.

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

RSPsych0 posted:

Just bought this a couple days ago, and I love it.

drat, since when did Epiphone start filling their LP bodies with lead?

The Stizzle
Jul 20, 2002

Going in the bridge position soon, into my new Edwards.

Spiral
Dec 20, 2003

Mesa/Boogie Stiletto Trident

Tomorrow this shall be mine!

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Deering Goodtime banjo. $219!

Now I gotta just learn how to frail like Dock Boggs. :banjo:

Spilrod
Sep 14, 2002

by Fistgrrl
:) behringer djx900

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things

DougyTheWheel posted:

Is that a loving Contra tattoo?

Yeah, it is.

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL
Upgraded from my first amp, a Behringer V-Tone GMX212 Combo amp

to this badboy:

Vox AD100VTH Head + Vox V412K Cabinet. The cabinet may weigh 80 lbs, and I may break my back carrying it around, but I'd much rather hurt myself carrying this around than that Behringer.

Sitting in the living room with my guitar taken on my lovely cameraphone:

FlossMan
Oct 19, 2005

No, I can't. Too much hair.

Alman posted:

to this badboy:

Vox AD100VTH Head + Vox V412K Cabinet. The cabinet may weigh 80 lbs, and I may break my back carrying it around, but I'd much rather hurt myself carrying this around than that Behringer.

Sitting in the living room with my guitar taken on my lovely cameraphone:

I own the AD15VT, and I have to say that Vox's modeling amps are the only ones I'd find myself using. They really do sound amazing.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003

Spilrod posted:

:) behringer djx900

lol is that a bong stem or something on that book?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

�ptimysticism posted:

drat, since when did Epiphone start filling their LP bodies with lead?

Huh?

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

FlossMan posted:

I own the AD15VT, and I have to say that Vox's modeling amps are the only ones I'd find myself using. They really do sound amazing.

I spent hours researching the best deal and nearly bought an all-tube Fender Deville, but after looking into Vox a bit, I found that halfstack for a reasonable price and jumped right on. I've only heard good things about Vox and for $700 I wasn't about to pass up probably the best rig for my needs within my budget. Being an owner of a Vox modeling amp, are there any little tips you have for finding cool tones, etc?

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Alman posted:

Being an owner of a Vox modeling amp, are there any little tips you have for finding cool tones, etc?
Turn off the built-in noise reduction - it sounds terrible. The manual tells you how in the effects section.

Leave the master volume knob wide open and control the level with the wattage knob on the back. It sounds a bit brighter & more open this way. Use the volume & gain knobs to control distortion (more gain & less volume for dirty, opposite for clean).

Spend some time with each of the models, not just the ones that are based on your favorite amps. All I cared about at first were the AC30 & Fender models, but the UK '80s and Boutique Dirty have really grown on me.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Alman posted:

Christ, Behringer doesn't pull any punches, do they? That thing's a drat close doppelganger (visuals-wise) of the Roland JC-120.

Jonas01
Jan 10, 2005

I'm carrying the wheel.

My Hagstrom Swede (reissue). It's all mahogany with a set neck, basically a Les Paul copy. I like it, but it's my first guitar with volume knobs for each pickup, and I've discovered that I don't like that setup. Sure it's fun to turn one pickup off and then use the toggle switch like a killswitch kind of thing, but I'd rather just have the convenience of a master volume all the time.

I bought that a few months ago. For Christmas I got a Boss DS-1, which is pretty good considering it only costs $40. I'm thinking about one of these next:

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

RSPsych0 posted:

Huh?
It looked like the weight of it was deforming your spine in that picture...

torb main
Jul 28, 2004

SELL SELL SELL

Uncle Caveman posted:

Turn off the built-in noise reduction - it sounds terrible. The manual tells you how in the effects section.

Leave the master volume knob wide open and control the level with the wattage knob on the back. It sounds a bit brighter & more open this way. Use the volume & gain knobs to control distortion (more gain & less volume for dirty, opposite for clean).

Spend some time with each of the models, not just the ones that are based on your favorite amps. All I cared about at first were the AC30 & Fender models, but the UK '80s and Boutique Dirty have really grown on me.

Thanks for the advice :) I'm at work, so I can't check - is the noise reduction on by default? - Nevermind, figured it out!

I've been messing around with the wattage knob as volume control a little bit and liking the results. I've found that the best model for clean is the Tweed 4x10 with a hint of reverb. I'm starting to figure it out, but at first the controls are a bit confusing - for example, when I have the model on UK 80's or US Higain (Fender, if I'm not mistaken), the preset is distorted. Can I make that clean, or would I just have to turn the gain down as much as possible while cranking the channel volume?

torb main fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 6, 2007

Uncle Caveman
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.
They don't come right out an say what the models are based on (except the AC30 & AC15, of course), but my guess is:

Boutique Clean - Dumble Overdrive Special (clean channel)
Black 2x12 - Fender Twin
Tweed 4x10 - Fender Bassman
UK '70s - Marshall 1987 or Hiwatt
UK '80s - Marshall JCM
UK Modern - Another Marshall?
Numetal - Mesa?
US Higain - Soldano? Matchless?
Boutique OD - Dumble Overdrive Special (OD channel)

When you switch amp models (either from manual mode or a patch stored in CH1/CH2), the other controls should behave accordingly. Say you have CH1 set to Black 2x12 with the volume & gain cranked (a Twin doesn't really distort, it just gets louder) and bass/mid/treb set to 12 o'clock - switching the amp model to UK '80s or Numetal will create an explosion of crunch, since the amp sees both vol & gain set way up. The only controls that don't get stored in a preset are the master volume and wattage knob.

mad for pancakes
Jul 21, 2001
Pod XT Live

+ Variax 600

= :)

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Walter posted:

Christ, Behringer doesn't pull any punches, do they? That thing's a drat close doppelganger (visuals-wise) of the Roland JC-120.
They've built a pretty big company off of the backs of everyone else... why stop now? :D

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Arthur posted:

My christmas present to myself:

Thomann were doing a decent price on the original (non expanded, I don't need the extra bits) version, so I thought why not!
I've never used a decent orchestral library before, and holy poo poo am I impressed so far. Bit of a learning curve on the thing though mind.

Please write more about this! I've been thinking about buying a orchestra virtual instrument for a while and I really want to know how everything sounds, especially the brass and strings.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

�ptimysticism posted:

It looked like the weight of it was deforming your spine in that picture...

The bad posture was my attempt at rocking out. It is a heavier guitar than I'm used to, but it isn't that bad.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

A 4x18" sub for our smaller room. Driven with JBL 2240H, tuned at 50 Hz.

God I hate 22mm MDF.

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 6, 2007

ego munchin
Aug 3, 2004

RSPsych0 posted:

The bad posture was my attempt at rocking out. It is a heavier guitar than I'm used to, but it isn't that bad.
Yeah, and that bad joke was my attempt at being funny. I've played that same model, it is beast compared to anything that I have.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

I sold the rest of mine because I will never play them. (Mine is in trans blue burst.)

Lord Fizzlebottom
May 3, 2005

I will show you wonderful, terrible things

poxin posted:

I sold the rest of mine because I will never play them. (Mine is in trans blue burst.)

ohhhhhh parker fly ... i loooove the clean sounds you can get from them with the piezo system. that sucker must have cost a pretty penny

Mountain Dew
Feb 22, 2001
The Hole Is The Law
On page 5 I posted the black Ibanez RG Series guitar seen on top in the picture below. Well today I was browsing at another store and saw the guitar on the bottom of the picture. It only cost 50 bucks more, so I bought it and returned the Ibanez. The ESP is sooo much nicer.

CandyCain&Abel
Oct 21, 2006

by Fistgrrl
hell yes (squier vintage modified 70's jazz bass)

Young Al Capone
Feb 1, 2006

All I've got is this zip gun.

Epiphone G310. Couldn't ask for more in a first guitar.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
No instrument, but I really need one or two of these babies :shobon:

It's a Jaspers 3-tier keyboard "A"-stand.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.
how the hell many keyboards do you have?!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
Keyboards, not that much. Rack synthesizers, on the other hand...

This one's going to carry the Yamaha AN1x, Roland XP-30 and Alesis Ion. They're now set up on a desk which is cool but awfully bulky and it robs me of precious space.

Anyway, the second one's probably just going to be a 2-tier one, and it'll carry the Roland Juno-60 (of which there is no rack version) and the Roland JX8P (there's a rack version that has 2 of 'm but it's expensive and it doesn't look as cool). They're going to be put in separate rooms; the 2-tier one is for my "primitive" room without computer or plugins - which is in an awfully small room but it's pretty nostalgic.

The 3-tier one will be put in the "main" studio. It's the first step towards redesigning the furniture - right now it's a huge row of desks and I plan on making some kind of custom Omnirax-like thingy with bays for the racksynths left and right and in the center of it the mixer, controller and dual screens. Not only will everything get in proper reach, it's also much cleaner as a setup - no cables dangling over several tables, etc.

OCG
Jul 15, 2004
I got this a couple of months ago, but it does qualify as one of my two most recent gear purchases:

It's a Gibson GA-5 "Skylark" amp from sometime between 1957-1961. It's a very simple class A 5-watt amp whose circuitry is almost identical to the late fifties tweed Champs. It's amazingly loud when used for harmonica. It's also the best sounding amp I've ever played harmonica through. I think it even beats out the couple of mid-sixties blackface Fender Champs that I've played through before.

Possessed_Cat
Jan 3, 2007

Learning double bass on these, Tama HP200.

Braised Lamb Shank
Apr 15, 2001
Crosspost from the drum setup thread, since I just got these:

2006 Sonor Delite in Champagne Sparkle. Played by Thomas Lang during a North American clinic tour. I got a nice deal, too, since nobody had bought them after so long. Amazing drums. Sonor has yet to dissapoint me.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

I'm lazy, but I just got a DD-20 Gigadelay.

23 seconds of looping feedback textures never sounded so AWESOME or sprawling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watson Your Back, Holmes
Jan 5, 2005

Noise Machine posted:

I'm lazy, but I just got a DD-20 Gigadelay.

23 seconds of looping feedback textures never sounded so AWESOME or sprawling.

I want one of these sooooo bad. How much was it?