Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

widefault posted:

~2012 Squier Vintage Mod HSS Strat in Gunmetal. Came with a Gator "polyfoam" case, Snark tuner, and a Levy's strap for $152 at my favorite pawn shop.

Beautiful.

Ice blue metallic strats (or whatever color name they pick for that shade) are incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Those VM strats are so solid. Unfortunately they sell for something like $150-200AUD less than a MIM Fender here, so scoring one for that is absolutely a great find!

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Dr. Faustus posted:

They are still bass heavy but at rehearsal volume it evens out some and frankly, I can't believe what they can do and at that price point. I bought stands to put them on but haven't had the chance to try it, I'm told they sound really great up off the floor. I love 'em already. YMMV but I've compared to the HR 112 and... No thank you. The 108s are 19 lbs. each, and they are inexpensive. I know there are greater options out there but my modeler has four output EQs so I could just run one output to the HRs with a bass cut, while the FOH output is flat. Working out great so far.

Thanks for this info! After playing with it for bit, I got some thoughts.

I noticed the same as you, this speaker is bassy as hell at low volumes, but evens out incredibly at louder volumes. Definitely worse flat on the ground, angling it works great and lifting it is even better.

I’m running a cut at around 100hz and another smaller one at ~250, and that’s tightened up my tone a bunch for bedroom volume.

Overall I’m pleased with it, and the small size really can’t be overstated. I never want to lug a half stack or brutally heavy 2x12 combo again.

Looks like I’ll be picking up another one to do stereo, as like all of my rigs are dual amps!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

got a pendalp

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Don Dongington posted:

Those VM strats are so solid. Unfortunately they sell for something like $150-200AUD less than a MIM Fender here, so scoring one for that is absolutely a great find!

Pawn shop deals are my super power. Looking at Reverb they usually go for $300-$350 US, and I know this shop does use Reverb for pricing, but it doesn't help them if no one knows whatever model it's supposed to be. Same reason I got a VM Mustang for $175 and CV 52 Tele for $150 at the same shop. On the same rack next to this Strat was a Bullet Tele for $160, though, since that one shows up in their system or they could look it up on Reverb.

I'm still trying to figure out the $350 1975 SG Standard I bought there back in 2017. Yeah, player grade with a fixed heel break and non-original parts, but "Vintage Gibson" at a pawn shop for $350?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

got a pendalp

the EM is so nice, I oughta put mine back into my chain

(I also basically need to redo my chain wholesale but that's another story)

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

widefault posted:

I'm still trying to figure out the $350 1975 SG Standard I bought there back in 2017. Yeah, player grade with a fixed heel break and non-original parts, but "Vintage Gibson" at a pawn shop for $350?

:chanpop:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren posted:

MIJ, circa `87-`88, one of the first SXII production runs. (Model introduced in 1988, serial number indicates 1987) My first non-budget-brand guitar. I'm going to have to get back into it and build up my hands again in order for it to really sing, but even unplugged it sounds better than basically anything else I've played.

I never thought I'd own a strat of any sort, tbh. My main guitar is a telecaster, sure, but that was a bit more of stumbling rear end over teakettle into a really good deal. I always figured I'd end up in some kind of humbucker zone for extreme gently caress-you noisemaking, but I've wanted a twelve-string basically since day one, and, well, I stumbled rear end over teakettle into this one being available.

tempted to get a hard case for this, but I'm leery of just going "well, lemme see a strat case" and then finding out it's not going to fit. advice?

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
When did the 12 string Strats get rid of the floppy dong headstock, or was that just the vintage stuff?

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Rectal Placenta posted:

When did the 12 string Strats get rid of the floppy dong headstock, or was that just the vintage stuff?

The hockey stick was on the Original Electric XII, as far as I know the Japanese Strat XIIs always had the one above.

Original T-Top in the bridge, Dual Soound/Super Distortion in the neck, replaced bridge, extra holes by the volume controls, refretted, etc.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Bit of question borne from curiosity more than anywhere - my "main" guitar is a bit of a beaten MIM Strat from 2001 I acquired through some swaps from a guy I knew who bought it as Wayne's World memorabilia. I got it set up for the first time during the peak pandemic as my playing got more serious and it was like getting a new guitar.

I see some people poo poo on MIM Strats from that era a bit, but I'm not sure why - what's "wrong" with them exactly? Mine has needed new tuning pegs and a new jack socket, but its also 21 years old and was played on stage in a silly digital hardcore band, so it's been a Tonka truck to me, it's nice to play after the set-up and sounds good, so I'm not sure what their apparent issue is!

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 9, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

Bit of question borne from curiosity more than anywhere - my "main" guitar is a bit of a beaten MIM Strat from 2001 I acquired through some swaps from a guy I knew who bought it as Wayne's World memorabilia. I got it set up for the first time during the peak pandemic as my playing got more serious and it was like getting a new guitar.

I see some people poo poo on MIM Strats from that era a bit, but I'm not sure why - what's "wrong" with them exactly? Mine has needed new tuning pegs and a new jack socket, but its also 21 years old and was played on stage in a silly digital hardcore band, so it's been a Tonka truck to me, it's nice to play after the set-up and sounds good, so I'm not sure what their apparent issue is!

I'm sure you'll get good answers here too but there's a guitar thread that would easily address this, some really knowledgeable people there. Highly recommended.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

There are some hardware things where they cut corners compared to the American models of the era. I have one too, and love it frankly, I too have found it to be a total hoss of a guitar over time but I replaced tuners, bridge components except for the trem base itself (they had low quality bent bridge saddles in that era, and one of mine kept breaking strings - I put some inexpensive steel block ones on mine and never had that issue again since), put a couple different nuts on it over time, and at one point had to drill and dowel the neck because the screws wouldn't bite anymore after only having removed it once if I remember right.

The cavities on it are clearly not as carefully done as, e.g., an older Japanese strat or a newer American tele I owned over the years, but you don't see that in use and it doesn't matter too much as it didn't present any functional obstacle to any work I did on it ever. I replaced the electronics because those were kinda junk, too. I never replaced the metal trem block but it does have the reduced-in-size trem block that was characteristic of them, with somewhat unusual spacing for the holes all around. I don't use the trem on it - I didn't use a big piece of wood to stop the trem's movement, I just put 5 stiff strings on it and screwed them down then treat it as a fixed bridge even though it technically ain't. I feel like the springs are part of a strat's sound, you know? Personal opinion.

But the neck's great, 21-fret but great feeling, and the body is as strat as any other strat. And before I did any work to it, it was functional and alright still, not like one of the really iffy lower quality Squiers of the era that could let you down big time (these days, many of those are a lot better!). A stock MIM was a functional guitar that you could gig with no problem, and modern MIMs are really nice. My favorite guitar right now is my MIM Charvel.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 06:24 on May 10, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I have been picking up a lot of instruments, just going on a mad spending spree that will have to be followed up with a mad selling spree, no doubt. But I feel like I've learned so much and had a lot of fun. Here is my first recent acquisition:

I've been playing around with VSTs that have these exact controls for years. One day I was doing my usual routine of searching ebay for weird musical stuff, I turned to electronic testing equipment. I took a double take on this and just said okay then. I saw that it had voltage control inputs and I said all right. It is not easy to control, this is the kind of machine they used to make spacey sounding effects and lasergun noises and stuff. It can make some pretty unique noises, and it's easy to use this to make freaky or doomy textures, especially if you have a delay handy. And that big control knob there, that handles like a DJ software controller's spin controller. Should be noted this has no logarithmic scaling so it is not intended for making music. It has a step mode where it divides its current octave up into 10 equal steps (I think?) which kinda sound like notes on a musical scale but if you listen closely you can tell it's not. But it's the sweeps, and most especially the tone of this machine that make it super sweet. It is a very old school, ancient analog synth. This is the kind of device some nerd used to make noises for the Dr. Who show. Or like when doors opened on space ships.

I got so excited with this I decided to try using it with a sequencer. I'd been wanting to try some Korg stuff for a while and I got a SQ-1 for starters. The control voltage out can be used on the above instrument, in addition to virtually anything with MIDI or CV.

So I could get some funkyass noises out of this thing, so I decided to see what two of them could do.

There are two different methods of wave generation at work in these two different machines but they're pretty similar and can sound identical sometimes. One main consideration was the 185 model had an optional logarithmic scale so it lends itself only slightly more to musical use. I love it, it sounds really good and once again play nice with control voltage from synth controllers. Because they are, at least by technical definition, synthesizers.

Which drove me to finally get the SQ-64, which offhand appears to be a rugged little controller that I'm hoping I will be able to use to sync and control the two above devices. I'll probably put up a few of my results at some point but of course the immediate use for gadgets like this is trance and techno. But then I grew up listening to Skinny Puppy so your mileage may vary.

And I had been letting my cats use this plywood rack as a scratching post and having something with rack ears made me reconsider that. Was trying to hold off on racking anything this but:

... and let me make the caveat that I'm really over my head with these machines but I'm learning about them by playing with them as musical toys so I think it's a net gain. I mean after all they are decommissioned. You can, BTW, open up the back on these things and see some really artfully constructed hardware. These people were the Swiss watchmakers of the 20th C. I can probably disassemble these myself if I need to and repair them, because the previous owner kept a manual and these were designed to last forever, given the expected lifespans of some electronic components into consideration.

This week is probably when I manage to get both of these guys hooked up to the SQ-64. When I do I'll put up a pic. Here is a pic of some of the cables I made just for doing it, because 6' long .35mm mono to BNC isn't easy to come by. Cross-posting from the DIY thread:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Are you sure YOU'RE not Dr. Who?

That looks insanely complex.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dr. Faustus posted:

Are you sure YOU'RE not Dr. Who?

If I were Dr. Who I would have hooked up with Leela a long time ago buddy. She so fine.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

:SavageBliss:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dr. Faustus posted:

It's not, you just have to familiarize yourself with it. At least as far as getting some sounds that a weirdo like me can enjoy. These things are mostly made for generating waveforms at frequencies way beyond the human hearing range, but a few models, especially from this time period, operated at a lower frequencies as well, I think because they wanted these things to be as broadly useful as possible.

ED: but as years went by the market for higher wavelengths overwhelmed equipment providers and they followed their market. Purveying the used market like I've been over the past few weeks, gear of this sort increased its wavelength capabilities at a similar speed to what everything else was doing (think modems) and nearly all the market was for high speed digital flow. Stuff like this sort of comes from the ham radio era.

I have made numerous recordings and put them up on soundcloud, and I have a really hard time slicing out the good bits because there are so many good bits. Like good as in good to cut slices out of and put in a tracker or something. But here are a couple instances of what they can do. Not intended as music really, just noodling around with it:

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/01-01-220426-2326-01-220427-2129a

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/05022022-124118-norm

https://soundcloud.com/tangible_animal_6/05022022-125950-norm

And when I first hooked this thing up I basically just locked myself up with it for a weekend, there's tons of stuff up there.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 9, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

petit choux posted:

Insane sci fi machines

These are so loving cool. I've been trying to build something with a similar concept (basically just a bunch of LFOs with weird envelopes and fuzzes in a box) to get weird sounds and then I look at this and hear the samples and im like "gently caress IT IM TRACKING DOWN ONE OF THESE"

thanks for sharing, its badass!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I am also extremely jealous. My wife however appreciates me not having one of those. Definitely keep us posted as you learn about it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Yeah I second that I would def love to hear updates as you figure it out. Could I request some gut shots if possible op?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

Yeah I second that I would def love to hear updates as you figure it out. Could I request some gut shots if possible op?

I have GISed "gut shot" to no avail. So provisionally the answer is no.

I want to mention now that I am speaking to you that I really appreciate your posting as well. You have a greater understanding of circuit design than I do. Always glad to hear anything about what what you're doing. I'd also love to see any photos of finished pedals.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Kvlt! posted:

These are so loving cool. I've been trying to build something with a similar concept (basically just a bunch of LFOs with weird envelopes and fuzzes in a box) to get weird sounds and then I look at this and hear the samples and im like "gently caress IT IM TRACKING DOWN ONE OF THESE"

thanks for sharing, its badass!

And BTW, don't let me stop you from building a weird box w LFOs and stuff. I'd love that. I won't be able to afford it but I'd love to see it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

petit choux posted:

And when I first hooked this thing up I basically just locked myself up with it for a weekend, there's tons of stuff up there.
I can see the appeal right away, and I especially love the ones that are obvious ostinato-typoe parts where a badass beat should be. I'd really like to hear you do that. I'm really enjoying these.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dr. Faustus posted:

I can see the appeal right away, and I especially love the ones that are obvious ostinato-typoe parts where a badass beat should be. I'd really like to hear you do that. I'm really enjoying these.

Yeah, any number of bits you could slice and sequence in any DAW and put a decent beat up. BTW, anybody's welcome to. Anything on soundcloud RN is free as beat-making materials for anybody. And it's all either a Wavetek or me taking my NTS-1 for a spin. I'll put up the source sometime this week.

Don't know where I want to go with this exactly but I've been kind of focusing a little bit on figuring out how to make a good bass line because it appears very capable of it. A couple or three of the most recent tracks on soundcloud kinda show that. I'm also kind of trying to interface it with conventional music without trying to use it to play melodies or harmonies specifically.

I also recently bought a more modern waveform generator, an Asian model called a Feeltech 2300, which is sort of a barebones waveform generator. Unfortunately I haven't yet gotten it working with my Korg sequencers. But you can dial in with extreme precision every characteristic of any soundwave you want it to produce. And presumably with the included software I can also draw the wave form on my computer screen and save it to the device, which I have yet to try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cGfk6LZmHM

I'll try to connect it to the Korg again but so far hasn't worked. But this baby when connected to my stereo makes one noise only at a time with a painfully tedious alphanumeric interface and it sounds sooooo pure and sweet. Also, you have a wide variety and number of waveforms and each one is perfect and pure. And it has two outputs that operate as dual channels, as in they can be a control voltage, gate input for . I have also used its outputs to the inputs of the Wavetek, which has allowed me to generate some extremely complex sounds. Hypnotic as hell.

And here's the only pic I've taken of it so far I guess:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 9, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

petit choux posted:

I have GISed "gut shot" to no avail. So provisionally the answer is no.

I want to mention now that I am speaking to you that I really appreciate your posting as well. You have a greater understanding of circuit design than I do. Always glad to hear anything about what what you're doing. I'd also love to see any photos of finished pedals.

Hey thank you so much for the kind words my friend! It made my day and really means a lot! Tho I must admit I am far from an expert in circuitry - I know the basics and mainly just build stuff with random parts and smash my head against them for weeks until they start making some sorta noise lol

Here's the project I'm finishing up before I start my LFO journey: a fuzz face with clipping diodes. The first pic is just a standard Fuzz Face circuit I built to see how the UFO transistors sounded. The second pic is the same circuit with hard clipping added at the end. It sounded good, but needed an extra output stage as it had absolutely no sustain.

The third pic will be the final build on turretboard, its a rats nest rn. I ended up swapping out the transistors for NOS Ac125s, and swapping out the diodes and changing the clipping to asymetrical, and am adding what is essentially an LPB-1-esque recovery stage after the clipping diodes. The diodes and LPB-1 will be wired to switches as well, so the user can have a standard fuzz face and add the clipping and recovery output stage as they please. I'll post some pics when its done and in an enclosure (tho I usually just do bare aluminum enclosures, I'm gonna have a friend hand-paint one for this turretboard build

I'll keep ya updated as long as you keep me updated too!

(Also im unsure what GISed means but a gut shot is just a pic of the inside circuit/wiring)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Disco Pope posted:

I played an MIM strat for like ten years and recorded several albums with one. They're absolutely fine. I now have an MIJ strat (because I live in Japan and they are cheap here and I sold my MIM in the move) and it is also entirely fine. Many of the differences between cheap and expensive guitars have to do with comfort and playability, not sound. If your MIM strat is comfortable to play, you are not missing anything from a more expensive guitar.

I would highly recommend this Youtube series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02tImce3AE

He does a really good job of actually testing what makes a difference in sound between electric guitars, and IIRC the main things are string gauge and pickups, and almost nothing else has a measurable effect.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Trig Discipline posted:

I played an MIM strat for like ten years and recorded several albums with one. They're absolutely fine. I now have an MIJ strat (because I live in Japan and they are cheap here and I sold my MIM in the move) and it is also entirely fine. Many of the differences between cheap and expensive guitars have to do with comfort and playability, not sound. If your MIM strat is comfortable to play, you are not missing anything from a more expensive guitar.

I would highly recommend this Youtube series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02tImce3AE

He does a really good job of actually testing what makes a difference in sound between electric guitars, and IIRC the main things are string gauge and pickups, and almost nothing else has a measurable effect.

Jesus you're not supposed to just tell everybody

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Firefly GD90, $227 shipped. Part of their second batch, like the first they sold out in ~5 minutes. So far so good, but I've only had it for ~15 minutes and have to go back to work.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Trig Discipline posted:

Lmao you don't fuckin say

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

probably have better tone with American engines instead of imports :911:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I bought the most ridiculous amp

No tuner. No USB. I should take a picture of the manual.

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 12, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

How much was it, and how does it sound? I really like two of the Joyo pedals I've owned (the ones I mentioned earlier, Tauren and Uzi), didn't know they had a modeling amp. I've been eyeing the Spark Mini when it comes out for a battery powered option since I've been digging the Spark 40 a lot.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

220 and tax on Amazon. I haven't really got in to it but I think the models sound pretty good dry.

edit: I'm not Ola but I bet it won't chug through the speakers

Sweaty IT Nerd fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 12, 2022

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
There's a reason I go in the pawns shops whenever I'm in the area

Also, never realized these were string through hardtails

$150 before tax, and appears to have had a recent pro setup which included leveling and polishing the frets

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Excellent. I love that it's actually a pickguard, not just a sticker.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

widefault posted:

There's a reason I go in the pawns shops whenever I'm in the area

Also, never realized these were string through hardtails

$150 before tax, and appears to have had a recent pro setup which included leveling and polishing the frets

nice catocaster

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

petit choux posted:

I'm sure you'll get good answers here too but there's a guitar thread that would easily address this, some really knowledgeable people there. Highly recommended.

Strange! I must have thought I was in that thread, sorry!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Disco Pope posted:

Strange! I must have thought I was in that thread, sorry!

No no, I'm cool with your post, I'm just suggesting because that thread is full of some extremely knowledgeable people. You will get some good answers there. I have.

------------------------------------------------

I've been buying up a closet full of thrift store guitars and keyboards and I'm going to be selling them again at the flea market in the coming weeks to help fund my ongoing music gear addiction. I'm thinking in Dover and here in Salisbury, probably very subject to weather forecasts, and I'll have a tent. Anybody wanting to do a meetup, I'll have a coffee w you. If you want to meet, just PM prior because I don't go all that regularly, or didn't last year anyway. But I've spent too much on gear and need to raise a few dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Oh, that life
I bought an Asheville Music Tools Analoger ADG-1 a few months ago. It is taking a bit of playing to get some idea of what I want to do with it, but it sounds amazing. I got convinced to buy it by this YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rd-lUh2gGg

Posting now as these things are infrequently available, but it looks like a new run is coming out this week. They are going to be available through the AMT website on Friday (5/20) at noon eastern, but I think some are available at dealer websites already. I ordered mine through Heyday Music, a music store actually in Asheville.
https://www.ashevillemusictools.com/products/adg-1

The significance of Asheville in this context is that Moog is based there, and the engineer for AMT supposedly worked on some of their recent delays. I believe those are pretty well regarded now.

Totally unrelated: I went to Asheville on vacation a few years ago and there was a busker singing and playing a drum kit. I saw him at various places and times while I was there. He was playing/singing "Jammin" by Marley every time I saw him.