Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Agreed posted:

Wow, that's really a piece of history there. You'll end up in touch with me if you ever need anything with it (and you may not, our stuff from back then has held up fine, too). But it's got the boost section and the aluminum knobs, both features that disappeared immediately after that version. And yeah, the voicing past that point was changed pretty substantially. The modern Plextortion bears a passing resemblance to that pedal, on the whole, but it is the genesis of it.

I've been waiting FOREVER to see a Wampler Pedals purchase show up here, never know... I'll take second hand, that counts. :D

Youre gonna hate me but its going up on ebay again. Its great but the knowledge that theres a different version out there with a little more bass and leeway with the EQ (the two issues I'm having with it) is killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Oh, you're not hurting anyone's feelings second hand dealing - I got into the business in the first place by being a gear whore, haha. Could you shoot me an email with some pictures of it and the serial before you send it off? Jeff@wamplerpedals.com

Reason being it's really hard to find examples of the early pedals, I like to collect examples of the old ones and, if possible, get their serials.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Well, I got the best birthday present ever. My Monson Redemption arrived!

Amazing. I got Bareknuckle Warpigs with a 5 way switch. Wired as such:

1- Bridge
2- Bridge single coil
3- Both humbuckers
4- Neck single coil
5- Neck

It sounds as good as it looks, I'll try to do up some clips soon. It's an amazing guitar for the style I play (Stoner doom), the pickups are so articulate and it was so well set up (gauge 12-68 strings, AEAEAC tuning) right out of the case. I would recommend a Monson to anybody looking for unconventional shapes and great quality for the same price you'd pay for a mid-high range guitar off the shelf.

themachine
Jun 6, 2003

Welcome to the machine
I just recently got some new goodies that I thought I might share in here. I've just recently started learning to play guitar and honestly I still suck at it, but have a blast doing it, which is all that matters to me. I started with a $90 dollar Ibanez steel string acoustic that I got at a pawn shop (apparently it was a great deal, my guitar teacher tells me it's worth between 200-300 bucks. Is he right, who knows? I don't plan on selling it regardless). After that I got my Dad's old electric guitar, which is a Les Paul copy made by a company called Magnum. Truth be told, while it is in great shape, it's still basically a crap guitar and according to my Dad was considered as much even when bought it back in the 70's. Whatever, it worked and I had his equally ancient and crappy amp to plug it into.

As time went by, I got really bummed playing the electric, crappy instruments and gear make it a lot harder to have fun, at least for me. I decided to get a better guitar and amp, but due to a combo of being a total beginner and having a budget, I was trying to do it on the cheap. I decided to start with an amp, and went to Guitar Center, mainly on a whim. I was basically winging it, not really knowing for sure what I wanted, and going off only the vaguest notions, when I came across this used for $45 dollars. It is an Orange Crush PiX CR12L. The amp looked to be in great shape, no physical damage at all, and when I plugged it in right next to a brand new one, you couldn't tell them apart. So I picked it up and brought it home. I think for a beginner like myself it is perfect. Sure, I could probably do better, but it sounds great, doesn't have a bunch of stuff to confuse or distract me, and is actually pretty drat loud for its size.

http://www.orangeamps.com/crush-pix-cr12l/

The last pic there gives it some scale sitting on my couch.

Phase 1 complete, I started thinking about an electric guitar. Thinking about because I didn't have the spare cash to just go buy one right away, which leads into how I am incredibly lucky. One of my best friends knows I want a new guitar and also knows that I am "the computer guy". He calls me early on a Saturday and asks if I can come out right now ASAP to fix the computer of one of the bosses from his work. I says sure and head on over. Well, turns out the guy is some kind of big shot upper management type, and he also plays and collects guitars, like has probably 20+ guitars in his huge rear end house. Turns out, he has some sort of contract/blueprint type paperwork that has to be handed in the next day, and his kids have loaded the computer with spyware and poo poo, making the documents not accessible. I do the standard clean up job that I am sure many of you are familiar with, and long story short it wasn't really that bad and all the data was saved, hooray. Boss guy, who was sweating bullets because I told him there was a chance everything was gone forever, tells me he has to pay me for saving his rear end last minute, and believe it or not, says he has heard (from my friend) that I am beginning to learn guitar. He insists on taking me to Guitar Center (again) and buying me a new guitar. Long story short, we go and spend about 2 hours playing around, and I settle on an Epiphone Worn SG G-400 which ended up being $350 for the guitar itself. To top it off, he also buys me an SKB custom molded hardshell case and the sales clerk guy threw in a stand for it too. Needless to say, I was pretty stunned at all this, but here I am typing this up for you guys with the guitar sitting 5 feet away from me. I know it is a crazy story, and sounds like it may very well be total BS, but hey, I now have a sweet guitar I didn't have before.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Epiphone/Worn-G-400.aspx

The guitar feels great in my hands and I truly enjoy playing it. I'd love to hear anything you guys may have to say about it, I don't really know a whole lot about SG's. I really liked the aged look, and how smooth the finished is, especially on the neck, it makes it easier for me to slide my hand up and down.

EDIT: Sorry for the huge post, I got a little carried away.

themachine fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Oct 8, 2011

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Awesome story dude! You're very lucky. :)

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm very jealous. The few times I've played through Orange amps have left me in love, and I've always wanted an SG to go along with my Les Pauls. Congrats on the whole thing.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst. Picked it up a few days ago, sounds amazing and is probably the lightest electric I've ever played.

The stomp box is the Twosome, by Blackout Effectors, a North Carolina company. A friend recommended it and I'm glad I bought it, it is an extremely versatile fuzz/distortion box...actually it is a combo of 2 of their most popular fuzzes. The range of tone is unbelievable. They have a decent site for anyone that's interested:

https://www.blackouteffectors.com

I'm thinking about getting an SG, and that Epiphone looks pretty sweet but I'm not sure if I should trust them...they're obviously cheaper than Gibson, but does anyone with experience with both have a recommendation?

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

forever whatever posted:

Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst. Picked it up a few days ago, sounds amazing and is probably the lightest electric I've ever played.

It sure is a pretty looking guitar but....ugh, I can't get over that quality being found in a Les Paul of all guitars. I picked up a faded studio in a Guitar Center a couple days ago and yeah, it couldn't have weighed more than 6 and a half pounds. Absurd. I realize Gibson's biggest demographic is aging retirees but c'mon...

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know where the myth started, but the idea that heavier mahogany is better is ridiculous. If you're referring to the chambering though, I have no problem with that either.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Noise Machine posted:

I like that you're still using the Super Chorus. Are you still using the settings I gave you a while ago?

Here are the other gear purchases I forgot to post (:smug:)

Edit: SWEET JESUS THE TABLES

The Ultrasone were advertised as being with some sort of "surround sound" effect, but I haven't noticed anything gimmicky, they're actually pretty nice for the modest price.

The VP was something I really needed to buy. Been playing a lot of stuff that requires volume swells or some sort of slow attack. I learned on my dad's GT-6, which he bought for $200 and then decided to never touch again, so I took it up as the world's largest volume pedal. (:v:)

i had three pairs of those headphones all break after day 30 but before day 40. it was a bitch getting GC to take them back. i wouldnt recommend them.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I don't know where the myth started, but the idea that heavier mahogany is better is ridiculous. If you're referring to the chambering though, I have no problem with that either.

I feel wrong playing a Les Paul that hangs off me like a Fender would. It just feels weird. Maybe I'm crazy or maybe I'm a bassist and just have this innate urge to punish myself with boat anchors?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those last two things aren't mutually exclusive. v:shobon:v

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
I'll admit that playing a Les Paul Studio will take some getting used to, as my last primary guitar was a solid Hamer that must have weighed over 20 pounds. I also have a 12 string acoustic and a brass Dean resonator, so I am used to heavy guitars. I don't think that a Les Paul having a chambered body means that it is built poorly, but it isn't gonna be something I want to knock around too much. Fucker wasn't cheap.

I saw an SG in the window of a pawn shop today walking downtown, don't know what the make is but I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh, the deal with the chambering is that some of Gibson's chambering schemes were really loving wacky and not really advertised. But on stuff where it's well designed and poo poo, like on the LP Supremes, it's not a big deal. About the heavy wood stuff, heavier or lighter isn't really important, as much as the resonance of the body is. So, a lighter slab is probably going to be a more resonant piece, but not always.
:words:

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

forever whatever posted:

I saw an SG in the window of a pawn shop today walking downtown, don't know what the make is but I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.
I play an SG Standard through the Twosome and an Orange AD30TC, it's wonderful :3:

although I do still want a Les Paul...

Barn Door
Mar 6, 2007

shut the fuck up charles

no dad im not gay! posted:

It sure is a pretty looking guitar but....ugh, I can't get over that quality being found in a Les Paul of all guitars. I picked up a faded studio in a Guitar Center a couple days ago and yeah, it couldn't have weighed more than 6 and a half pounds. Absurd. I realize Gibson's biggest demographic is aging retirees but c'mon...

The only way to purchase a new Les Paul without it being chambered is to buy a very expensive custom shop model. Even so, I'm worried about Gibson's quality assurance these days after having been voted the #1 worst company to work for in the US.

After playing about a hundred different examples, I opted for a 1980 vintage via Craigslist. No regrets. This isn't to say a new Les Paul can't sound amazing; it just seems like they are much more hit-or-miss now.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Barn Door posted:

The only way to purchase a new Les Paul without it being chambered is to buy a very expensive custom shop model. Even so, I'm worried about Gibson's quality assurance these days after having been voted the #1 worst company to work for in the US.

After playing about a hundred different examples, I opted for a 1980 vintage via Craigslist. No regrets. This isn't to say a new Les Paul can't sound amazing; it just seems like they are much more hit-or-miss now.

Oh, I'm quite aware of the specs of Gibson's current lineup of Les Pauls. The entire company is going down the shitter. Their leadership is so far out of touch with players and their QC is non-existant, it's ridiculous. It's already worse than the Norlin years; sharp frets, poor nutwork, sloppy finishes. God help you if your guitar wasn't plekked beforehand. I just think the chambering and faded finishes are wrong. I could see chambering being appealing if you're a weekend warrior playing 3 or 4 plus hours in some bar but it shouldn't be found across the entire range, y'know? I can't claim that the increased weight has anything to do with the famous ~*les paul sustain*~ but like I said, it feels wrong for a Telecaster to weigh more than a Les Paul. I'm young, I can take a 8-9 pound guitar being strapped to me for extended periods.

Gibson Les Pauls have always been hit or miss. I've heard of bursts that played like absolute dogs but hey, they're still worth 250,000 dollars because they have pretty tops. Gibson folk are kinda crazy but I'd be lying if I didn't want an attractive, worn-in Les Paul with some heft and an ABR bridge and long-tenon and no volute and...oh boy, I guess I'm turning into one of those people.

I've been on the lookout for an early 90's Les Paul Classic but even the decently figured examples are running shy of 3 grand.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

forever whatever posted:

The stomp box is the Twosome, by Blackout Effectors, a North Carolina company. A friend recommended it and I'm glad I bought it, it is an extremely versatile fuzz/distortion box...actually it is a combo of 2 of their most popular fuzzes. The range of tone is unbelievable. They have a decent site for anyone that's interested:

https://www.blackouteffectors.com

I'm thinking about getting an SG, and that Epiphone looks pretty sweet but I'm not sure if I should trust them...they're obviously cheaper than Gibson, but does anyone with experience with both have a recommendation?

Goddamn, that is a beautiful looking guitar - are the Silverbursts back in production? I was eyeing one a few years back, but it was a '78 and cost an arm and a leg.

Blackout makes AMAZING poo poo - I got a Very Special Twosome earlier this summer and it is pretty much the most perfect fuzz I've ever played.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Oh, I'm quite aware of the specs of Gibson's current lineup of Les Pauls. The entire company is going down the shitter. Their leadership is so far out of touch with players and their QC is non-existant, it's ridiculous. It's already worse than the Norlin years; sharp frets, poor nutwork, sloppy finishes. God help you if your guitar wasn't plekked beforehand.

It's really sad that I prefer my Epiphone LPs to the utter crap that Gibson's been churning out recently. Most of the Epis play better than their Gibson counterparts :smith:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
And now Fender comes out with an offset guitar, which I like, with the 70s headstock, which I like, in 25.5 scale, which I like, in what's basically a HSS configuration. Except with a jazzmaster at the neck. And a classic trem.

Cheap.

The Fender Marauder. In black and blue.

Yes, that's a triple coil humbucker at the bridge. How does it work? Magnets.

I think blue looks better, but I'm not sure. This is pretty much destined to be one of those weird things that is made for a year, vanishes, and then someone becomes famous playing it 20 years later, I think.
Man. I want something with a trem. I was considering that Xaviere XV-890 SuperStrat copy pretty hard. But this is like it's made for what I want.
Edit to add: Price: $399 retail. But it's a Fender, not a Squier. And yes, basically a Fat Strat, except for the Jazzmaster neck.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 11, 2011

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
Can any pickup gurus explain how a triple-bucker is superior to a normal humbucker? That guitar looks awesome, but that bridge pickup seems really gimmicky.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sadsack posted:

Can any pickup gurus explain how a triple-bucker is superior to a normal humbucker? That guitar looks awesome, but that bridge pickup seems really gimmicky.

It's electronically identical to a Fat Strat, it just has the middle and bridge pickups squished together.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sadsack posted:

It's not superior, it's just different.

TriggerHappy
Mar 14, 2007

plester1 posted:

It's electronically identical to a Fat Strat, it just has the middle and bridge pickups squished together.

And a P90 in the neck. I wonder how different the tone of middle pickup selections will be compared to a normal fat strat.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I want one. There's a Yamaha guitar earlier in the thread aimed at Jazz musicians with a triple humbucker in the bride. I played one in a pawnshop and the day I finally decided to buy it (it sounded absolutely fantastic) it was gone. I would much, much rather have this guitar.

That's not a P90 in the neck, that's a Jazzmaster pickup.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

amishbuttermaster posted:

That's not a P90 in the neck, that's a Jazzmaster pickup.

The way Fender manufactures Jazzmaster pickups for US markets it's most likely a strat pickup in a big plastic box.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
Do they? That could be so but even then a Strat pickup sounds nothing like a P90. I had a Gretsch baritone where the previous owner put a Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster pickup in the bridge (don't ask me why they would put it there instead of the neck) and that thing sounded awesome. I love Jazzmaster pickups.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
If the pickups are screwed up, it's easy enough to upgrade the neck.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Jazzmaster-Style-Guitar-Pickups_c_235.html
Drop it in and rock.

Edit: They sound like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqRFqc7VotI
(vintage, not overwound version)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 11, 2011

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
Those are really affordable. All of the JM pickups I've looked at have been about $100 a piece. How do those sound?

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I bought a Neutrik Speakon cable. Exciting!

Then, I bought a Blue Icicle USB interface. It works perfectly for recording my bass straight from the DI on my Genz Benz Shuttle.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
I actually have one of those Icicles. Bought it for a project at work. It tended to cut out every so often, after like fifteen-twenty minutes. I hope they fixed that for you.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution

Sadsack posted:

Well it's one louder, isn't it? Most blokes are rocking out on humbuckers thinking where can I go from here? What we do is if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? Triple humbucker, exactly. One louder.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

Oh, as for me,

Recording King OOO model. I was prepared to spend hundreds more for a nice acoustic today and I kept going back and forth hardly believing my ears but I liked this one best. Guys if you are looking into new acoustics for under a grand you have GOT to try these.

Oh and also... I bought ANOTHER silverface Fender Princeton. Just because I have this Boss DC-2 stereo chorus pedal and it sounds so goddamn gorgeous into two amps spread across the room a little bit. It was fate, I knew I was looking for another small amp and as I walked into the store it was right there in front of me, they had just gotten it in and hadn't yet put a price tag on it. Drip edge. Sweet tone.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

dancehall posted:

Oh, as for me,

Recording King OOO model. I was prepared to spend hundreds more for a nice acoustic today and I kept going back and forth hardly believing my ears but I liked this one best. Guys if you are looking into new acoustics for under a grand you have GOT to try these.

Oh and also... I bought ANOTHER silverface Fender Princeton. Just because I have this Boss DC-2 stereo chorus pedal and it sounds so goddamn gorgeous into two amps spread across the room a little bit. It was fate, I knew I was looking for another small amp and as I walked into the store it was right there in front of me, they had just gotten it in and hadn't yet put a price tag on it. Drip edge. Sweet tone.

RK acoustics sound absolutely amazing for the money, but be diligent with your humidifier. I've had 5 of them wig out in my shop over the last few years. The climate here is super dry though.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

dancehall posted:

Well it's one louder, isn't it? Most blokes are rocking out on humbuckers thinking where can I go from here? What we do is if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do? Triple humbucker, exactly. One louder.
You've never seen Mr. Horsepower, I'm guessing.
http://www.wolfgangguitars.com/Mr.Horsepower.htm

Yes, that's Nigel Tufnel's guitar. Ernie Ball Music Man.

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 12, 2011

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

I played a Recording King RAJ-27 at Norman's Rare Guitars once and I thought it played better than any Gibson J-45 I've laid hands on. I was blown away by how light it was, probably because of the fact it's finished in nitro and the braces are scalloped by hand to vintage spec. I compared it to vintage J-45s and it stood up. Compared to a brand new J-45 it wasn't quite as full in the lower registers but with age and being played I'm sure it'd just get sweeter.

Hey, I want one again.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

I played a Recording King RAJ-27 at Norman's Rare Guitars once and I thought it played better than any Gibson J-45 I've laid hands on. I was blown away by how light it was, probably because of the fact it's finished in nitro and the braces are scalloped by hand to vintage spec. I compared it to vintage J-45s and it stood up. Compared to a brand new J-45 it wasn't quite as full in the lower registers but with age and being played I'm sure it'd just get sweeter.

Hey, I want one again.

I played a couple of those today too. Good sound but they went too far with the finish IMO, way too much black. I love the look of a J-45, if RK followed it more closely I'd have been very tempted to get one.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Bought a second Boss VF-1 half-rack effects unit.

Really dug the crazy chains I could set up for a simple microphone channel and the latest firmware's bitcrusher and filter, decided it was right to get a second one and I managed to find it for the same insane price of €50 :wtf:

I think I'll keep these lil'reds forever.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Warcabbit posted:

I actually have one of those Icicles. Bought it for a project at work. It tended to cut out every so often, after like fifteen-twenty minutes. I hope they fixed that for you.

I've been very careful with it because it definitely feels light and "cheap." The price was cheap too, though, so I'm not complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Yaaaaay

Been after one of these for a long time.