Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Walter posted:

18 years after I posted this thread, it's still going. Unreal.

Anyway, just picked this up a few days ago, thought it'd be fun to share.

2018 Explorer. Absolutely love the feel of this thing, it's my first Gibson and although I'm not sure I want any others, I do really like this one.

Got it for a steal, too, only $1100. Case and everything.

First impressions: it's actually really comfortable to play, even sitting down. Great sound on the bridge or neck pickups, and surprisingly versatile. I'm a huge Edge fan, so there's certainly that component to it, but I also just really like the guitar.

Does it still have the plastic on the pickguard? I'll never understand those people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Same, it's the tastiest part.

Rad Explorer tho and dang, that is a helluva steal.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

I wanted to write and record an entire ep in the month of December. I had never written an entire song (multiple instruments + vocals) before. It had always been collaborative work with other bandmates.

Needless to say, it's now 3 months late and I've bought a stupid amount of gear.

Today I bought Yamaha HS5 studio monitors.

Last week I got a Fender 68 Deluxe Reverb (custom) which I've been running in stereo with my Vox AC10.

I now have a drumset, Korg Minilogue xd, and a Maschine Mikro mk3.

I've also purchased 9 guitar pedals in the last few months.

All this crammed into my home office.

I'm broke as poo poo, but I'm having so much loving fun.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I'm broke as poo poo, but I'm having so much loving fun.

This is the way.

If we could add a thread title to this 18 year old monumental thread, this needs to be the title.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Bought a few things

~1982 Hondo Deluxe Series H760N, currently has a different pickguard and pickups because the original pickups kinda suck and the wiring was very messed up.

KGD Relic Strat copy, green over sunburst, to go with the Tele I already have. Colors are not a match, though both have the shiny chrome and brand new pickguard thing on a heavy relic body that looks dumb.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Found this oddity for the equivalent of about fifty bucks. Going to post on the mando forum to see if anyone can help figure out where and when it's from. Old guy I bought it from picked it up used in the Netherlands in the 1970s. I know there was at least one French company that made this style mandolinbanjo but there's no mark or branding on it. It's heavy as poo poo and the wood looks really nice.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

I’ve got a drat problem lol. I thought I was done with new 8’s, I’m primarily playing on a strandberg, carvin, and an OAF custom. Happy with em for sure!

But then I stupidly decided to try this at GC today. Had no plans to buy it, but I figured “what’s the worst that could happen?”

Well it turns out the Majesty 8 is a way better guitar than expected. A very very nice feel, excellent balance, some really unique tones thanks to the piezo and blend, really well done frets, and god is the thing ugly (which I like!)

And this is the push I need to sell a bunch of my less used 8’s, primarily all the Agiles I’ve been collecting over the years. Feel like I’ve finally gotten a stable of 8’s which is on par quality wise to all my six strings.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Verman posted:

Does it still have the plastic on the pickguard? I'll never understand those people.

Yeah, I don't know why they left it on, and I just haven't had a chance to take it off (until the other day, I didn't even realize it was on there until it started wrinkling a little bit).

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Family’s growin’. New MIJ Traditional II Jaguar

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Had my luthier friend cut a custom pickguard for my vox bobcat.

Before:

After:

The whole family:

I... definitely have a type.

And some pics of the other stuff I've gotten recently:
Yamaha HS5s

New pedals: Keeley Compressor, Bit Quest, 1312, Noise Supressor, Soft Focus, and Deco are all new.

Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit. Got new heads, new cymbals, and an extra stand for the ride:

Korg Minilogue xd, and two Stylophones for goofin around.

My wallet is begging for a break.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

good stuff, but my eye is caught by that clock right next to the percussion stylo, what is that?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Had my luthier friend cut a custom pickguard for my vox bobcat.

Before:

After:

The whole family:

I... definitely have a type.

And some pics of the other stuff I've gotten recently:
Yamaha HS5s

New pedals: Keeley Compressor, Bit Quest, 1312, Noise Supressor, Soft Focus, and Deco are all new.

Ludwig Questlove Pocket Kit. Got new heads, new cymbals, and an extra stand for the ride:

Korg Minilogue xd, and two Stylophones for goofin around.

My wallet is begging for a break.

Plug those synths into the pedal board for extra fun. (Start with the volume low, and go slow)
:getin:

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

B33rChiller posted:

Plug those synths into the pedal board for extra fun. (Start with the volume low, and go slow)
:getin:

Oooh, definitely going to do that!

hexwren posted:

good stuff, but my eye is caught by that clock right next to the percussion stylo, what is that?

https://www.amazon.com/Divoom-Bluetooth-Speaker-Controlled-Screen/dp/B084TSLMC6

Although I've been tempted recently to replace it with a Tydbit
https://tidbyt.com/

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Getchoo some iso pads for those Yamahas and be surprised at how clean the bass (at least, the bass they produce...) can be.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

JeffLeonard posted:

Wow! That is really cool and I am jealous.

Would you do a quick review?

Ok I'm back, finally had to upgrade to a m1 Mac mini, due to protools not updating for the old school cheese grater. Looks like I could have fixed it with some file deletion. But they aren't updating for mojave anymore and I don't want to force a upgrade because it's stable.
Got the drivers taken care of finally, the ebay seller had never set it up with ilok, so all I had to do was email Slate and they put it on my account so I could buy the protools software for it.

I don't know how much I'll use it for with the actaul app but the multi-touch is up and going for gestures in osx. Which is going to be more useful then the protools integration.

It's definitely nice having a huge iPad hooked up to osx.

I'm happy with the screen quality, it looks nice and the ultrawide above it makes kicks rear end.

Ravens are getting a update soon, so we'll see how that goes.

Upgrading to the mini also outdated my Motu mk2 firewire though, so now I've got to get a new high quality interface. Running on a back up steinberg usb, and the output quality is definitely noticeable on the Kali's.

Probably going to end up with a Antelope Descrete 8, because I'm going to end up taking over the youtube client my buddy has, and we've got alot of projects coming in.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Achievement unlocked: true fiscal irresponsibility.

Really though, I'm over the moon with this purchase.

'72 (probably) Fender Twin Reverb. Bought it from the original owner who said he was "pretty sure it was a '72" because he was gigging with it in NYC in 1973. Still has the original RCA tubes in it, and he paid $300 last month to have it professionally serviced and recapped.

He hugged it when we parted in his driveway.

Got it for $875.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

drat, good get

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Achievement unlocked: true fiscal irresponsibility.

Really though, I'm over the moon with this purchase.

'72 (probably) Fender Twin Reverb. Bought it from the original owner who said he was "pretty sure it was a '72" because he was gigging with it in NYC in 1973. Still has the original RCA tubes in it, and he paid $300 last month to have it professionally serviced and recapped.

He hugged it when we parted in his driveway.

Got it for $875.

Hey silver face fender buddy! That's a great deal.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
jealous as gently caress. That’s an amazing price, and you just know dude babied it if he’s hugging it in the driveway

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

that's a sick buy, nice

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I was lucky enough to have a silverface twin in high school; I sold it (along with a guitar I maybe regret selling even more) because I switched majors to double bass and thought I would never play guitar again. Wish I still had it because getting good sounds out of it was a given and it was so fun to play through and I would appreciate it WAY more now than then.

I think you got it cheaper than I got it over 20 years ago (iirc, it’s been a long time) - nice find.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Are any of you actually turning on a Fender Twin at home? If so, I am curious of the following:

1) Do you live with other people?
2) Are they home when this happens?
3) Are they now deaf?
4) Do you have neighbors?
5) Are they deaf?
6) Are they deaf now that you've turned it on?
7) Visits from law enforcement, how many times this month?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Are any of you actually turning on a Fender Twin at home? If so, I am curious of the following:

3) Are they now deaf?
5) Are they deaf?

Mine has a master volume so that helps. It’ll be living at my rehearsal space next time I head over there.

Also I live in Oakland so there is no law enforcement.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

3) Are they now deaf?
5) Are they deaf?

What about 4 fender twins in a row?

It has a master volume so that helps lmao

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Armacham posted:

What about 4 fender twins in a row?

It has a master volume so that helps lmao

There isn’t a day that goes by I don’t think about this amp. 😭

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

If you are ever in Tucson you are more than welcome to come jam :rock:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I have a 40 watt Fender Bandmaster with 2x10s that has never been above two since I moved, a Red Knob Twin that hasn't been turned on in 6 years, and a 2 watt Fender Greta that is almost too loud at half volume through a 4" speaker. I passed on a $600 Silverface with MV because I knew it would never get used.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I have this fantasy of being able to chicken pick and I’m playing honky tonk country in an actual honky tonk with chicken wire and beer bottles being smashed against it and everyone is fighting and my Fender Twin can be heard above it all and you know this because the green painted walls, now yellow with nicotine stains and piss, are peeling with every bend on the high E string. Yes the Telecaster is black and has no pickguard.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
In this fantasy, do you play both kinds of music?

burdt
Feb 28, 2009

i wanna make it (wit chu)

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Where u at?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/d/orange-aims-and-fender-tube-guitar-and/7732626691.html

Not my post, but I’ve seen this in my local CL for months.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

burdt posted:

Where u at?

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/msg/d/orange-aims-and-fender-tube-guitar-and/7732626691.html

Not my post, but I’ve seen this in my local CL for months.

Oh man I want the speakers so bad

Also someone is selling this one on reverb that looks like a slightly later model than mine AIMS VT -100A 1970s https://reverb.com/item/70786052?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=70786052

I just got this cab built (coffee cabs on Etsy) and put a Celestion vintage 30 in it. I'm gonna give it to my Dad with the 8 watt I built since I'm selling his Peavey Classic 30 which is too drat loud for his bedroom.

Armacham fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 5, 2024

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

I have all but finished out 336hp of video; also got a "new" CRT (RCA 20" TruFlat) and another new-used projector.

Currently messing with using video oscillators as audio sources.

Actual latest pickups: MakeNoise XPO, V.HS mixer, LZX Scrolls, 4ms buffered mult

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
I kinda hate being right, but also love being right

Late 70s/early 80s Bently LP copy, made in Korea by Samick, another rebadged Hondo. And this pic is the reason I bought it.

Means nothing to 99.9999% of people, but...

Made in USA DiMarzio K-10s. The pic I had was bad, but the flat head screws and the pole pieces tipped me off. I kind of wish they weren't because it would be an easy flip, but now it will go with the rest of the K10 Samicks. I still surprises me how many off-brands ended up with the K-10s. It also seems like other than Hondo they were not advertised as coming with them.

So if you ever come across a Korean off-brand that sounds way better than it should, check the pickups!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

widefault posted:

Late 70s/early 80s Bently LP copy, made in Korea by Samick, another rebadged Hondo. And this pic is the reason I bought it.

Made in USA DiMarzio K-10s. The pic I had was bad, but the flat head screws and the pole pieces tipped me off. I kind of wish they weren't because it would be an easy flip, but now it will go with the rest of the K10 Samicks. I still surprises me how many off-brands ended up with the K-10s. It also seems like other than Hondo they were not advertised as coming with them.

So if you ever come across a Korean off-brand that sounds way better than it should, check the pickups!

I knew instantly 😎 I have a hot as gently caress 80s Samick Dimarzio in my Flying V bridge. It’s my poo poo.

You guys 80s Korean guitars have Dimarzios in em a lot of the time and they all sound really good.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

widefault posted:

Are you familiar with a Japanese brand, Brighton? I've got a "Lead Player" which is obviously an LP knock off, but damned if I can find out anything about it because I just get D'Angelico stuff from Google.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

From what I can tell they are good copies. Take the pickups out let’s see the back of em.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Yeah, appear to be a Hoshino/Yoshino brand, so more or less an Ibanez. Pickups are possibly Maxon or MMK, either of which are pretty nice. Realistically, any 70s or newer Japanese guitar that's a copy of a Fender or Gibson is usually made pretty well.

Also, 80% of the time, if a seller says a non-labeled guitar is Japanese, it's a Korean Samick, 10% are Korean Corts, 9% are Taiwanese and Indonesian, and that last 1% are actual Japanese guitars. If it's not stamped on the neckplate or printed on the headstock or has an appropriately aged sticker that says "Made in Japan" it's probably Korean.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

You guys 80s Korean guitars have Dimarzios in em a lot of the time and they all sound really good.

Only the ones from ~1978-1983. And don't assume all of them without adjustable pole pieces are the old Dimarzios, they need to also have the concave/dented poles. Samick replaced the DiMarzios with their "home grown" X-14s, which are pretty close spec-wise, and sound decent enough, but just aren't the same.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

From what I can tell they are good copies. Take the pickups out let’s see the back of em.

I'll have a look when I get home. I've got it disassembled at the moment while I neaten the cavities.

It's a funny construction - it's a plywood centre with a curved plywood (different ply, maybe hardwood) outer, so there's a slight cavity between them. You can't see it with everything in place, and it's got heft to it so it feels like what I imagine an LP feels like weight-wise.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Elissimpark posted:

I'll have a look when I get home. I've got it disassembled at the moment while I neaten the cavities.

It's a funny construction - it's a plywood centre with a curved plywood (different ply, maybe hardwood) outer, so there's a slight cavity between them. You can't see it with everything in place, and it's got heft to it so it feels like what I imagine an LP feels like weight-wise.

Fairly common construction method on Korean and Japanese LP copies of the time.

From my Ash bodied Hondo

This one

It is a 2 piece solid ash body with the bent plywood top and ash veneer. I have others with a full plywood body and the bent top, as well as a couple with solid ash bodies and carved ash tops. I did have a MiJ "Lark" that had a pancake body where it was like 8 total pieces, with a thin veneer between layers, then veneer on the back and the bent top. You can see the layers here.

That was a thing Gibson also did, although with a carved maple top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Wow, that's interesting. In a way, you'd think the bent top would be harder to do.