Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Cane Break posted:

Just picked up a beautiful Koa Strat. Guy at guitar center gave me the Memorial Day price today too :c00lbert: This thing is gorgeous. Koa wood body with bird's eye maple neck with Seymour Duncans. I'll post something other than an awful camera phone pic if I get my hands on a decent camera.
Oh, those are gorgeous. I played one last time I went to GC, but it seemed to have a much deeper tone unplugged than any of the other strats. I wouldn't have thought the cap would make that huge a difference.

As for me? Strings, realistically. I just busted B on my Taylor and was bummed as hell to find I'm out of Elixers. The guitar in my sights is this, but I can't really justify another guitar right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Behold, the messiest goddamn music corner in history.

A new AKG C 1000 S mic and an M-Audio Fast Track Pro (bottom right) so I can finally record some stuff.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Chows posted:

Tell me about that strat with all the crazy inlay work.
She's my baby :3:

One piece alder body, flamed maple neck, rosewood fretboard / headstock overlay, rosewood skunk strip. Only 4 pieces of wood on the whole guitar. The inlays are abalone shell and mother of pearl.

Fender custom shop pickups: 70's in the neck and middle, 50's in the bridge on a push / pull switch.

This one's an older picture, it has graphite string trees now:

And that's enough of that little hijack.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

AstroZamboni posted:

That is straight fuckin' electric sex, right there.
I know, man. Something about those inlays... I think I want to learn to play the mandolin now.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

LOO posted:

...and 6105 frets.
I know you don't mean it this way, but picturing it literally is fun.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I think this'll be my next buy:

Just need to get the money now, of course.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Ahh, I keep changing my mind on what to get next. I always do. Now I'm thinking a '62 RI Jazzmaster, either thin skin or regular, and either seafoam green or shoreline gold. Or, alternatively, a Lovepedal Eternity distortion if I feel the need to drop absurd amounts of money on one pedal (about $300).

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
That thing really does look great. And hey, no worries about people stealing it, anyone who's been to a show of yours should recognize it instantly!

I'm ordering this in 2 days, as soon as I get paid. Been saving for a while now and I can practically taste it.

Fender Thin Skin '62 RI Jaguar

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Synonamess Botch posted:

In any case, the size and feel of it was the selling point for me - it's the comfiest guitar I've ever played, ever.
This bodes well for me. All this talk about Jags is just making me more excited for it. Wonder how long it'll take to ship.

Swollen, how much does the Jaguar weigh against the others present there? I'm thinking it'd weigh more than all of them but it's been a while since I actually played one.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Nov 1, 2007

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Oh God before I went for the '62 RI Jaguar, I stopped by Guitar Center for strings for my acoustic... and...

Well, no more Jag. I splurged and bought my dream guitar. Oh, and this one's got a one-piece top rather than bookmatched, which I'd never seen before.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
edit

Okay, I was browsing Warmoth and they got me. I saw this and just couldn't resist. Looks like I'm building another guitar! I'm gonna do a black pickguard and ebony fretboard on this one.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 12, 2008

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

3toes posted:

Tele singlecoils + ebony fingerboard = brighter than the loving sun!
Well I decided to go with Maple instead, not that that's a leap in the opposite direction!

Still playing with it a bit but I'm pretty sure that's how it's gonna go.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ZombiePeanut posted:

Why not have no pickguard?
I don't like the look of a tele without a pickguard. They don't exactly have the most attractive body shape and the pickguard kinda visually holds it together. Definitely a preference thing.

ZombiePeanut posted:

And what in the world is going on with the weird metal flake stuff on the electronics?
Engraved.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ZombiePeanut posted:

Just seems like a shame to cover up any of that wood.

It seems like it would look really good with no pickguard and plain darker gold hardware. If you absolutely must have a pickguard, it kind of seems like creme or white would look better. Also, that engraved hardware looks pretty weird to me.
I appreciate your opinion and all but looks like we've got pretty opoosite tastes here. I don't like the look of gold hardware (though I did a mock-up using it to see if I would), I hate white/pearl/light colors over burst finishes*, and I've been wanting an excuse to use engraved hardware on something for a while. Go figure!

FractionMan posted:

I was about to say that's the worst "relic" job I've ever seen, but, oh. It's just a parody relic. :)

*Bursts that go to black on the edge, that is. Cherry, sienna, and honey bursts look fine.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Synonamess Botch posted:

gently caress the haters, guitars need contrast and the pickguard does a fantastic job of it. Really looks gorgeous in that mockup, makes me jealous lots.
Thanks! Just ordered the neck for it, there was only one Tele neck in the entire Warmoth shop that had what I wanted - flame maple / flame maple, stainless frets, 1-11/16" nut width, standard thin contour, satin finish. Can't wait for it all to get here now, but the hardware is backordered.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

AE posted:

Oh baby, if I'm wrong, I don't want to be right. For $700? Mamasita, I can eat Ramen for a little while.
Yeah, when you're done with it, I'll be happy to take it off your hands. I mean, in case you don't wanna be stuck with it. I'm looking out for you, you see.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

mofolotopo posted:

I'm going to buy a Taylor 314 acoustic this evening. It will be my first really GOOD acoustic, and I'm so excited I can hardly pee straight.
You're gonna fall in love with it.

I play a 412 which is pretty much the same thing except a smaller body and ovankol instead of sapele for the back and sides and it is just a fantastic guitar. The satin neck finish is fast as hell.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Oh come on I just dropped into that guitar store to kill some time what the hell

(Generic Google Image Search Result)

It's a Peavey T-15, complete with hardshell case with built-in amplifier! It's a tiny little guitar, 3/4 scale with a very thin 20 fret neck. The body's finished very thin so you can still feel the wood grain and everything, but despite that, it only has a few really shallow surface dings. The pickups are like humbucker-sized rail P90s. Actual pictures coming soon.

The body for my tele arrived on Friday too. :v:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Neck arrived for my tele today!

Quick mockup of the neck, body, and pickguard:

It's not resting on the glass, I put cloth underneath.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Handen posted:

drat. That's sweet. What pickups are you looking into? I suggest the Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups for Tele, they are god-damned amazing.
Already got some, actually. A pair of Lindy Fralin Blues Specials. Always wanted to try them out.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

TheDingo posted:

That is very sharp. How much is that going to run in the end?
$1,400. Everything's already paid for, and I have it all except the hardware, so that's the final figure.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Just bought a Gretsch Anniversary for $800 with a hard case.

Seems to be pretty polarizing. People aren't really neutral to the color, they either love it (me) or hate it (most people). The advantage to the unpopular color is that it makes 'em cheap to pick off on eBay!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

3toes posted:

I'm pretty neutral to it, though I'd rather see it with a black pickguard.
That'd probably look good, but the back, sides, and neck are the same color as the pickguard, so it kinda holds it together.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Susano-maku da! posted:

Oh hey! I saw that thing get posted in the Harmony Central deals thread. The poster thought it was surprising no one got it. Great deal, there, that's a ridiculously good price.
I only found the auction JUST (as in, less than 30 seconds) before it ended, so I immediately emailed the seller and offered him $800 shipped for it, which is about what I'd have paid if I'd bid on it, but lower than the BIN price.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Is that top-routed AND rear-routed?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Aeon posted:

It's routed like a Les Paul would be routed. Thus, no need for a pickguard on the top... But, where the hell else are you going to stick the electronics.
Just sayin' there's no need to do a Les Paul route because the telecaster control plate is used with a top route. Unless you just have it there for decoration.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

The Dark Wind posted:

Wait, what?
I'm gonna go ahead and guess he's got Explorers on his mind.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Welcome home, Gretsch G6118! We're gonna have a lot of fun together.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Hmm, turns out my new Gretsch totally rocks rear end for surf rock tone. It seems to be missing a key ingredient for that!

Bigsby B6 with the awesome Gretsch wire handle. So much cooler than the normal boring flat spoon handle.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

warwick5s posted:

New purchase on the left, a Parkwood PW310M that I picked up for a song at GC due to their presidents day sale and a $100 pricing error. :iamafag:
Sup Guitar Center Presidents' Day Sale buddy :c00l::respek::c00l:

I can't take a decent picture of this to save my life for some reason, so here are someone else's photos. Turns out I can't walk into GC without buying something!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

3toes posted:

Should be here early next week.

Educate yo'self, fool! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnmtI1sOK3Y
Holy poo poo that's cool.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Yay, it's done!

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

LOO posted:

Dose it come with a fur fedora and a curb-feeler equipped pink Cadillac? ;)

Nice hunk of wood! I see no logo, who makes it?
It's a partscaster. Bits and pieces from all over. And yeah, it's gonna be pretty drat polarizing because a lot of people are gonna hate all the unnecessary visual crap but I'm quite fine with that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Ichron posted:

He posted pictures of it before, it's silver.
Yep! I think, and this is going to sound insane considering the guitar we're talking about, gold would have been over the top.

Materials: Ash body, burled maple top, flamed maple neck, graphite nut
Hardware: Engraved nickel, Planet Waves tuners, Dunlop strap locks, vintage small frets
Electronics: Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, 4-way switch mod, Les Paul jack

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
I was going to post it in the "fiending after" thread but I was worried someone would snipe it out from under me.

Guitar of the Week #41, Gibson Nashville Les Paul DC Special

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

PoorPeteBest posted:

Highway One Telecaster:

I got it at an incredible price through MF's scratch and dent sale. I think I'm going to throw a black pickguard on there just because I like that look better. Also, has anyone ever done the 4-way mod on a Tele? I was previously looking at a Baja Tele with the 4-way built in and really liked the sounds I could get when the pickups were in series.
My tele's got a 4-way and it really opens up the guitar a lot. I wired it based on the Seymour Duncan 4-way tele mod diagram and the added functionality makes the guitar pretty much cover every range of tone. The extra spot you're adding is an alternative to the usual mid position on a tele- it runs both pickups, but instead of running them in series like usual which halves the impedance and cancels hum, it puts them into parallel so there's no hum cancellation but a much higher output and a hotter sound.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Chows posted:

You've got your descriptions of series and parallel reversed.

Also series and parallel are both hum cancelling as long as one pickup is RWRP.
drat. I wasn't too sure on one or the other but at least I got the gist of it. :)

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Arrived today! Gibson Nashville Les Paul Jr DC (Guitar of the Week #41 Dec 07), my first Gibson guitar.

Initial impressions: Very cool looking, ridiculously thin finish (texture is like the paint on the guitar), aaaaand that's about it. Still at the office so I haven't gotten to tune it up and plug it in yet.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Thanks! Now that I've gotten to play it a bit, I can tell you that those flowers are deceptive. Don't be fooled by its innocent looks, this is the ballsiest drat guitar I've played in ages. It has a real bitey growl which is very cool. More overdrive than distortion, if that makes sense. One thing I was happily surprised by is that rolling the tone knob all the way down doesn't muddy it up too much, it still has clarity and definition.

On the other hand, I'm having a hell of a time getting it both clean and loud. I can get it clean and I can sure as hell get it loud, but it really overdrives the amp hard. Not a big deal, since I have no shortage of guitars that can produce a nice clean tone, but the cleanest I could get on a 25w 112 tube amp turned to 7 on volume was still what I would call light overdrive, particularly on the bass strings.

Weight is low, balance is fine. I was worried it might be neck heavy due to the thinner Jr body and heavy Grover tuners, but it's fine.

The finish is awesome. Having played it up and down a bit now, I'm a tad worried about its durability, but it feels SO good. So does the ebony fretboard.

So, in summary, even though it looks like a whitewashed country picker, this thing's a monster and I love it. I would HIGHLY recommend this for anywhere you want overdrive over distortion, but it's definitely not a great call if you only want to have one electric guitar. Too specialized for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
edit: whoops, read "SG Jr" as "LP Jr"