Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Christmas is so, so very wonderful.

My creamy white HSS Stratocaster, a wonderful step up from the junky Squire I've been stuck with for two years. Thing sounds really awesome for a mid-level guitar. The amp you see is a 30w VOX Valvetronix amp. Good price, and the thing is loud as hell.

As for upcoming purchases, I've set my sights on that Epiphone Korina Flying V, which looks like this:

All in all, pretty awesome Christmas. I've been playing for a little under four years now, but I'm kinda poor so buying expensive instruments isn't something that happens often. Last year I did get a nice Ovation acoustic, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

commissargribb posted:

I got my squier strat back today and decided it would be a good time to talk a holiday family picture with all the guitars.

edit: in case you couldnt tell - I like Fender guitars.

that is a hell of a nice setup you have there.

I really love that sunburst strat you have--and thanks. The cleans sound gorgeous on my new strat/amp.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

I've been planning on getting a Flying V soon, and I've had my eye on the Epiphone Korina V ($499), but I recently found a brand new Gibson Flying V for $580. The thing lists at $1000+ online, so I'm a bit suspicious if there's something really wrong with that particular model. I found the same model listed a few plays on ebay at around the same price. Am I missing something here?

It's the worn Cherry Red Gibson, by the way.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Thanks, guys, I really appreciate the info on the Gibson Flying V. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the glossy finishes in the first place, but I'd prefer a black or white over a cherry. I did play it for quite a while at Guitar Center and it seemed to play really well. The set up wasn't amazing but it was passable for, well, Guitar Center. I guess getting one and having a pro set it up would work for me, and it'd still be a lot cheaper than the glossy Vs they've got for twice as much. ...unless of course I go for one of those ESP Vs. :3:

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

My bank account is crying and I don't give a poo poo.

I just bought this exact '69 Mustang Reissue from Elderly:
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/30U-14528.htm

Dude, this is the EXACT guitar I'm pining over at the moment. And it's amazing that you found it for cheap ($525 compared to $699? Hell yeah!). I've been thinking about getting this model and replacing the pickguard with an orange one, or getting the Daphne blue model. Gaaaugh. :aaa:

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Susano-maku da! posted:

You're in luck!
http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1793598
It's only $495 and it has a hardshell case and a DiMarzio strat rail on the bridge pickup.

I asked them about shipping and everything and it was going to be $20 from Pittsburgh to Virginia.

Also, remember that this one and the one I bought are '69 Reissues. The difference is that the pickups are Japanese made and the body is made of basswood instead of the current '65 Reissue's poplar (or alder, I forget what it is).

Thanks so much! One thing, though, I'm trying to get a white Mustang that's more of a "white" and less of a "yellowish-white" color. The photographs from Elderly looked a lot more "white" but I've been tricked before! So, if you don't mind, could you let me know the color of yours when you get it? Thanks. :buddy:

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

LOO posted:

Just ordered this puppy.

Fender Custom Shop "Time Machine - '60 Relic Stratocaster"

Color: Olympic White “Thinskin” Nitrocellulose Lacquer
Body : Select Alder
Neck: Maple, Early ‘60s “C” Shape,
Fingerboard: Rosewood, 9.5” Radius ("Daves Guitars" custom radius)
No. of Frets: 21 Vintage "Medium Jumbo" ("Daves Guitar"custom frets)
Pickups: 3 Custom ‘60s Single-Coil Strat® Pickups
Controls: Master Volume, Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),Tone 2. (Middle Pickup)
Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade (5-Position switch in box)
Bridge: American Vintage Synchronized Tremolo
Machine Heads: Fender®/Gotoh® Vintage Style Tuning Machines
Hardware: Nickel/Chrome
Pickguard: 3-Ply Mint Green
Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
Width at Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)

That's beautiful. White Strats are my absolute favorite kind of guitar. Of course I can only afford an MIM one, but it's the wonderful anyway.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

Yay, it's done!

I've been waiting to see this thing since you'd mentioned putting it together--it's even better than my imagination! More pics please.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Got my Agile Telecaster this morning.

It is much more yellow than I was expecting. :c00l:

But I like it!

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Wanna talk about an awesome score? Some guy gave me these today for free. Both of them. He's leaving the country and just wanted to get rid of them. He is the man.

That's a Boss Blues Overdrive and a DOD Grunge. Need to get a boss adapter, but they're both in good condition, and that Grunge pedal actually sounds a lot better than I expected it to.

And here they be, hanging out with the rest of the crew.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

qball posted:

Not so much a purchase but I won a set of custom wound pickups from a local pickup winder here in Australia. His name is Mick Brierley and he really went out of his way to make sure I got exactly what I wanted.

I decided to get a Zebra set with a 7.5k Alnico 2 Neck and an 8.2k Alnico 2 Bridge, scatter-wound with mismatched coils. I've had fairly high magnets in there before Alnico 4 and 5 and I'm really liking the extra mids the 2's bring.

Plus they're sexay!

That's very nice, my friend Hope those pickups sound real nice.

I hear a lot of good things about those Orange amps, and I've really been wanting to try one, but I don't believe there are any dealers in my area. Could you tell me anything about them?

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

What is GTP ?

Back to the Orange discussion.....drat do I want one so bad.

This is the head I want

The cleans are very clean, and when you put it on the dirty channel, you have a kickass crunchy sound. Turn on a tubescreamer while you are on the dirty channel, and you have the crunch that I dream about in my sleep. I'm going to own this thing soon enough.

Yeah, this and it's combo version caught my eye. Sadly I doubt I'll afford one of these unless I win the lottery or something. :smith:

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

How are those Orange Crush amplifiers? I know they're lower-end models, but I've found some pretty affordable ones and I was thinking of getting the 30W model to mess around with. I found a few on ebay for around $100.

Are they worth checking into, or should I just save my cash and go for an expensive one in the very far away future?

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

hamaien posted:

loving sexy.

Man, you should totally give me one of those.

I'm pretty interested in these Orange amps now thanks to the earlier discussion. Tell me all you can about the Tiny Terrors, if you don't mind. :)

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

hamaien posted:

I'm not that well-versed in explaining tone verbally, but I can get some sound clips later tonight.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. I look forward to it!

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Uncle Caveman posted:

It varies by the guitar and the pickup itself - for instance, the neck mysterybuckers in most Epiphones do tend to get muddy & useless when pushed hard. My favorite dirty-neck sounds are a P-90, a Gretsch Filtertron (a kind of mini-humbucker,it stays bright & clear), a Fender Jazzmaster (big fat flat coil with magnet polepieces, has a really strong vowel sound) and a Danelectro lipstick tube (might as well be a bridge pickup, clangy as all hell).

I know this luthier who builds his own custom telecasters, he finally found his favorite pickup combination which is a Tele with a humbucker-bridge, and a Jazzmaster-neck. And yeah, that thing sounds mean.

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Oh, man, those Fender Super Sonics sound fantastic.

What kind of Les Paul is that?

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

hamaien posted:

Oh god, it's going to be here Monday :flashfap:

This is going to be the longest weekend ever.

Oooh, so jealous. Lemme know how it is! Is it loud enough to keep up with drums/band? I'm assuming it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altered State
Dec 18, 2006

Thieretical posted:

The Line 6 Flextone III XL, 2x12 and 150W. I'm fresh out of college, thinking of starting a band, and I needed my first big, gig-worthy amp in 12 years of playing. Unfortunately, I'll rarely get to see what this thing is made of outside of practice rooms and gigs... meaning, I want to crank it but I can't. I briefly went through the models tonight and many are promising. I'm mostly getting tired of my Les Paul Studio, I think a Strat would be more 'me'.

Hey man, let me know how this is. A friend of mine is looking to get rid of one of these (a 1X12 version) for a really cheap price, and I might take it off his hands.