Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Concatenation posted:

duncan invaders :words:

What kind of guitar is that? The finish is pretty cool. Can we have some more pics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I like that picture, looks like your Squier is plugged straight into the wall.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I know some people put tape on their pickups to stop strings getting stuck on the sides during divebombs, but why do you have taped up pups on a fixed bridge?

e: you edited quick.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Looks like a big ole analog synth.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Evil the Cat posted:

Got the RG550MXX, yellow. My girlfriend got me POD XT Live for our anniversary too. I am the happiest noob guitarist right now.

Well done on picking the yellow (coolest) one. I bet everyone else will go for the black, maybe the red.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If you're looking for a Line6 amp in that power range, you should try the Flextone range as well. Quite a bit more versatile, as you basically get a Podxt built into an amp.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
That is really cool, how much did it cost you?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It's pink dude.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Isn't that the rip of the cardboard guitar the security guy had in the Breaking the Law video?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Evil the Cat posted:

dp158 and dp102

MUAH!

Install these and post clips in the humbucker thread.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Searching online shows lots of places selling blue magnet wire. Don't pay through the nose for NOS blue stuff, just ask the Q-Tuner guy to use some blue wire.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Does that Tele have the big crazy John 5 headstock?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I think it's about time we had another big pickup megathread.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
They switch the jazz on and off. They're the "go to 11" of the jazz world.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Post in this thread then, and tell everyone how loving deadly it is.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

Aren't most phantom jacks like 48V?

I want MASSIVE headroom.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

PenguinBob posted:

ah yeah, my mistake. i'm looking at alembic's site and they all seem to be wrap-around/quick-load type tailpieces.

on a related note, this is just way too many loving knobs.

It has an LED brightness knob?:wtc:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
What's the difference between a Strat neck and a JM neck? They look the same.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
That reminds me, I wanna build a Meatball after Christmas.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Exploded posted:

it kinda looks like both, actually.
It's still a pretty sweet guitar. I like the inlay.

I think it's the left-handedness loving with our heads. Even lefty strats can look a bit weird.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

The Damage Control Glass Nexus.

I just looked these up on a few European sites and they're going for €533.82 (about $800). How much is this costing you? Is this another example of stuff being cheaper in the states or this just a really loving good effects box?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Marshall Bluesbreaker II and Dano Fish n' Chips. Cheap second hand because of a few dings on the BB2.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Uncle Caveman posted:

Yes, yes it is. Good choice.

What's the difference between the two?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

smeg posted:

I just picked up a 1974 Marshall Super lead Mark 2 100w

Purchased from a local charity shop who had no idea what it was so as a result it was stupidly cheap, I mean ridiculously cheap, under $100 AU cheap.

:D

Let me be the first to say I hate you.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Ugh, I'm really tempted to make an offer on this:

Epiphone Les Paul Elite Hollow-Body.

I want a fixed bridge guitar either for playing blues or for tuning down for stoner rock/metal, and I think this might do both. Someone give me some advice.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
It's a semi-hollow, it has a chambered mahogany body and a maple cap with the f-holes cut through to the chambers. There isn't much info about it online, so I'm not sure how much the f-holes effect the sound, apart from adding sustain, so I can't be sure on how it differs from a regular Les Paul. I'm not sure if this thing will do metal as well as a LP Custom would.

Yeah, the f-hole going between the knobs is a little strange but it would look much worse if it wasn't symmetrical.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
There's a revision notice on the circuit board, you can date it with that. I think the newer ones are Rev G. or Rev. H.

e:

Susano-maku da! posted:

I'm thinking about selling my Fernandes Ravelle Elite which would be, for all accounts and purposes, perfect for stoner rock... How much did you get that for anyway? I seem to remember you got a great deal on it...

I'd really like a Ravelle but it would have to be shipped halfway round the world and I don't really want to pay for that and still risk having the thing damaged.

So the guy updated his ad today because I asked him to show some damage to it that he had mentioned.

It's a small chip on the neck, the bit on the right is just flash reflection. Not too bad, it's a black guitar so I could probably get that touched up if I wanted. Really it's the price that's tempting me with this one, I can get it with the hardcase for less than the price of a new Epi Standard.

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 25, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I've heard lighter fluid will take that off.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
You have an UCRG10, in drop A, going into a Matamp?

I loving hate you.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Daphons are pretty cool, Gibson is re-branding them as their Maestro line.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

It would be funny to make a "Guitar Hero Player's Guitar" with five frets, just pentatonic minor scale... sell it in different keys.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Do you know if the older Korean models were any better?

edit: To clarify, Epiphones are made in China, and have been since 2001/2002ish. I meant are the older models that were made in Korea considered better than the newer Chinese ones?

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Mar 29, 2008

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
To add to the Epi discussion, the LP Elite I posted a while back is now mine.

Got the hardcase and a new set of hardware (bridge, strap pins, pickup covers, tailpiece, screws etc) thrown in as well.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Col.Kiwi posted:

Sounds like a great deal man. I've never heard a semihollow LP, clips would be great if you're able. What are your impressions so far in comparison to a normal LP?

No clips for a little while, I don't have an interface at the moment.

As for the sound, it's a lot closer to a LP Standard/Custom than I would have thought (I haven't spent a huge amount of time with either though). The acoustic chambers are a lot smaller than I expected, they don't continue underneath the edge of the f-holes, they're like two channels cut down into the body. The one on the switch side is the same shape as the f-hole and about an inch or two deep, the one on the knobs side is the same size but intersects the control routing.

The sustain is just crazy though, and the whole thing really resonants when I play chords, especially when I add some dirt. I can play palm-muted stuff with distortion and get a really boomy bassy ringing that I've never managed on a solid body before.

I picked it up last night and it had only have 5 strings on it, so I'll restring it tonight and try and give a better description then.

Darth Fungus posted:

Woah thats awesome as gently caress

gently caress yeah it is.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

I like this, but it has the same problems as the other demos you posted - the backing is cheesy as gently caress.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I see where you're coming from man, just I think when the backing is a short loop that doesn't go anywhere anything you put over it will sound like noodling.

Fab-Tone is nice, seems to do the sustain of a fuzz and has mad harmonics like a high-gain distortion. Sounds it doesn't completely change the tone of the guitar either, it's like a clean and dirty tone if that makes sense. Sounds kind of bright, is that just how you have it set or is it the pedal itself?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Guess I lucked out then.

Good thing too, I want to swap these pickups out fairly soon.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I heard that Line6 and Bogner were collaberating, but how exactly? Is this a Line6 modeller into a Bogner power amp?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Carbohydrates posted:

That's a beautiful sorta-flamed, sorta-quilted top. I usually don't really like quilting, but the subtle effect works great there.

I hadn't checked this thread in a while, lots of great stuff. Here's my contribution:

'78 Jazzmaster

Well drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If you want a cheaper controller, Behringer make one that's like half the price of the Roland (http://www.behringer.com/FCB1010/index.cfm?lang=ENG).