Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Gibson Les Paul Studio Silverburst. Picked it up a few days ago, sounds amazing and is probably the lightest electric I've ever played.

The stomp box is the Twosome, by Blackout Effectors, a North Carolina company. A friend recommended it and I'm glad I bought it, it is an extremely versatile fuzz/distortion box...actually it is a combo of 2 of their most popular fuzzes. The range of tone is unbelievable. They have a decent site for anyone that's interested:

https://www.blackouteffectors.com

I'm thinking about getting an SG, and that Epiphone looks pretty sweet but I'm not sure if I should trust them...they're obviously cheaper than Gibson, but does anyone with experience with both have a recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
I'll admit that playing a Les Paul Studio will take some getting used to, as my last primary guitar was a solid Hamer that must have weighed over 20 pounds. I also have a 12 string acoustic and a brass Dean resonator, so I am used to heavy guitars. I don't think that a Les Paul having a chambered body means that it is built poorly, but it isn't gonna be something I want to knock around too much. Fucker wasn't cheap.

I saw an SG in the window of a pawn shop today walking downtown, don't know what the make is but I'm gonna check it out tomorrow.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Is that an LP junior? It can't be worth more the 100$. That paint job could trigger a seizure.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
^^^I would never, ever play a 7 string as that instruments reputation has been completely destroyed by the godawful nu metal movement, but it's nice to see one that isn't completely terrible and fruity looking. That thing looks pretty tasteful, but I'm a big fan of LP-style bodies.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
No I'm not. It just so happens that every single 7 string player I know in the area is a lovely metal guitarist who think that Munky from Korn is the best guitarist since Hendrix...The seven string was conceived for technical players, not lovely nu metal guitarists, but they made the instrument as popular as it is to day. And if you are one of those guitarists, than you are dumb. Get a baritone guitar instead if you want more low end for your Coal Chamber cover band.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Yarbald posted:

Sometimes I like to use all 7 strings when I play my 7 string, but I don't play in a Coal Chamber cover band. Am I doing this wrong?

Nah if you play jazz or shred hard that's cool. I do neither; My problem with nu-metal stems from playing in hardcore bands in high school...I thought that kids who were inspired to pick up 7 strings because of nu metal were horrible then, and I still do.

Incidentally, this is also why I never got into Line 6 processors, or processors in general...same kinds of kids were the first I knew to get into them, and it seems that it's still the case. Now, I'm perfectly aware that processors are great for a variety of things, but my tastes have veered me more in the direction of pedals as opposed to processors...which brings me to what I just got from my old man for Christmas:

A Pedaltrain 3 with a flight case. It's huge, and more pedal space than I need really but at least I finally have a secure place to put all my present and future effects. It's gonna be an awesome time suck for the next few weeks creating the right chain.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Oh, I'm sure. All kinds of people play all kinds of instruments, I'm quite aware of that.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Duck and burger posted:

And it's 'then', not 'than'.

A grammar lesson! I bet that felt good. I'm still cool with (most) seven string players but my personal opinion about the instrument probably won't change, thanks.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Yarbald posted:

Delay. Every pedalboard needs at LEAST one delay. I would recommend the Boss Giga Delay, or a DD7 if that's too much.

Agreed. I've heard mixed reviews about the Giga, but the DD7 is solid...I have a TC Electronics Nova Delay and it is a beautiful device but pricey. But if you like to get shoegazy than you definitely need a good delay.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

massive spider posted:

I have a tc electronic flashback now though which is one of the nicest sounding delays I've ever used.

I'm guessing this is awesome since their Nova Delay is so lovely.

I also have an Akai E2 Headrush delay/echo/looper and I sort of regret it because the looper is iffy and the thing is monstrously huge for what it is. I just don't know what's best for a looper that is easy to use on the fly. The delay/echo effects are nice enough I guess.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
^^HOLY poo poo I did a double take when I saw that tele because one of my best friends got his tele deluxe stolen from his practice space over the weekend (along with $4,000 worth of other poo poo) and his was white with a white pickguard. At a glance it looked like the same thing but his also had some obvious cosmetic mods so it's clearly not yours. Funny coincidence though! I've never owned a single coil electric before but I have the feeling I could get down with a tele, that looks like a pretty sweet guitar.

*which reminds me, is there a thread in ML for reporting stolen gear? It's a common problem for musician's, and a lot of people who post here probably check out craigslist and local pawnshops a lot...just saying.

forever whatever fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 21, 2012

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Thorpe posted:

I did get this one used, but it came with the receipt and paperwork and from a very nice 67 year old man. Didn't seem like the thief type.

I've missed single coils, I have an 8 string humbucker guitar as well, so its completely different. I'd like to get a blacktop telecaster next and paint it seafoam green. I think I'd have all my guitar range covered I would need then.

Oh I wasn't accusing you by any means! But if you buy used gear, I guess it's always a possibility (btw if anyone near Asheville, NC sees a white Fender Tele Deluxe with some lightning bolts epoxied to the body, call the police, it belongs to a friend of mine)...Do single coils really have a noticeably higher degree of hum than well, humbuckers? I like double coils because the tone is so rich and saturated but I'm also so used to it it's hard to imagine playing anything else.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
All those guitars you see in stores have to be shipped from somewhere and if the list price on that thing is less than a grand, it ain't getting shipped in a case. But if a guitar gets severely damaged in transit while in a thick cardboard bos it was probably a piece of poo poo anyways.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
^^^Yea I'm thinking putting the delay after the gain or even in a separate loop might help with the feedback problems.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Hell yes, I got a Space Reverb a few months ago. Unfortunately, I've been too busy with school/applying to graduate school to play as much as I'd like to but seriously, I could lose entire days in what this pedal offers. I fuckin LOVE the 'Shimmer' algorithm so very much. But the options with this thing are endless.

Also, the most expensive pedal I own.

Be curious as to what your take on the Timeline is when you get it, delay is my favorite effect but I already have three pedals for that so I can't justify buying that pricey monster...yet.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Thorpe posted:

Yeah, I'm trying to get the hang of it so far. I made a small track showing the custom preset I used, and then it goes into the stock Shimmer preset.

I've already lost about 2 solid days into it, and I'm going to lose more. I currently have no delay pedals as I sold them to get both this and the timeline, and I might actually be set on both. Maybe get another small delay though, you never know. Pedals are an addiction. I'll definitely post up my thoughts on the Timeline sometime next week.

That track shows off the pedal nicely. Which custom preset was that? I normally am not a huge fan of presets but I think Eventide did a great job on the presets for that pedal.

Also, the volume swells at the end with the shimmer effect reminded me of an organ almost...if you are into that sort of sound, you might want to consider a sound retainer. I have this one and it's a bit of a one trick pony but it's a pretty neat trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPeeJrv9wb0

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

nrr posted:

Flimsy picks for lyfe. :colbert:

I've sworn by cheap, ugly rear end light gray .60mm Jim Dunlop picks for about 13 years, it feels bizarre playing anything else.

Some of the fancy picks in this thread look pretty cool but I don't think I could rock them.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
picked this sexy thang up yesterday...

it's a Schecter Ultra VI, essentially a six-string short scale bass but you can play it like a guitar. i've never owned a bass but was never excited about picking one up...but i'm plenty happy with this. the three Duncan pups are all switch-controlled and can be tapped so there's a wide variety of sounds with this hybrid monster.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Yea, I'll see what i can do this weekend! I agree about the youtube clips, there isn't much for this instrument. This is the best demo I've found, and it's actually from Schecter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Am5tkI1Jw

Currently I'm playing through a guitar amp, a Fender Deluxe 112 combo. I'm not really sure what the best settings are to run a bass through a guitar amp, but this thing plays chords really well higher up on the neck too, it really is a very versatile instrument.

I'm not even a real bass player so I feel like I'm learning a whole new instrument really.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Yea, Smith is a big fan of VI style guitars, he even has a signature UltraCure VI made by Schecter...I went with the Ultra VI because I thought I'd like the pickups better (and it was more aesthetically appealing). Here's specs from the Schecter website:

The Schecter UltraCure VI,

and,

The Schecter Ultra VI

Both of these are E to E, one octave below a guitar, like a bass is but with a 30" scale vs. the typical 34" (and of course, 6 strings as opposed to 4). Also, the strings are pretty close together compared to traditional 4 string basses so I imagine this alone would make it unattractive to many conventional bassists.

edit: Interestingly, Schecter makes regular-scale six string electric versions of both these models, but I've never played them. And yea, I do agree that the Ultra VI does very well in upper registers.

forever whatever fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 13, 2012

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

Warcabbit posted:

I guess this might be the best thread for it.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/Spring-Cleaning-BLOWOUT-Sale-At-or-BELOW-COST_c_185.html?referer=mailid:36
GFS is having a summer blowout sale. Enjoy, if you want something.

I just want to let you know that I've been obsessing over whether or not to buy an extremely cheap telecaster copy in British Racing Green for 2 weeks now thanks to you. How do Xaviere's play?

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.

JohnnySmitch posted:

A Vox lil' Looper - I finally got fed up with my sketchy Akai looper, and I'm totally looking forward to playing around with the longer recording time and 2 independent loops with this one.

You should post how this works out vs. the Akai. I assume you mean the Head Rush - I use it on my bass vi in the band i play in sometimes and the lead guitarist has one as well - aside from the fact that you can accidentally erase what you are doing very easily and that you can't save loops, I really like it for on-the-fly live looping...Akai as a company is wicked sketchy though; I tried to register the looper when I bought it with the card attached to the manual and it came back return to sender: wrong address. I emailed their support twice and never got a response. Oh well, aside from the aforementioned issues (and for taking a ridiculous amount of space up on a pedal board) I actually get quite a bit of decent use out of the thing.

But anyways, that Vox looks cool and I had never heard of it before. I'm sure it will be fun.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Just traded in my Fender Deluxe Reverb 112 for a 212 combo, needed a 212 to play with others, the 112 just left me drowned out.

Seen here with my gorgeous Tony Iommi signature Epiphone G-400 SG. 50 Watts, sonofabitch models eleven amp tones (including one called 'numetal' heh heh), and was way affordable after the trade in. If anyone is curious, here is the control panel:

As you can see, it also boasts eleven effects, which I probably won't use much since I'm a pedal junkie, but the reverb is nice. I don't even know what some of the other buttons do, I need to spend more time with the manual, but apparently you can save two presets, which is pretty fuckin cool.

Feel free to let me know how much my new amp sucks, I've never owned anything by Voxx before but seemed like the best deal on a 212 combo the pawn shop had at the time.

forever whatever fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Good to know, I will keep that in mind, thanks!