Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Click here for the full 1500x469 image.

I got a "vintage" 1999 HA3500 in flawless condition.

It's been...years, just me and my 15-watt Crate. Somehow I just can't work up any tears over this separation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Click here for the full 953x1000 image.

(played through a bass)

SO GOOD

This is really only the second straight-up OD I've tried, though. I had an H.B.E. Hematoma and it sounded like total mud to me...well, either mud or distorted mud. I liked the features on that pedal, but the sound just wasn't doing it for me.

This retains the low end but doesn't get too muddy. It's smooth. It's nice.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

New cab day! I had the good fortune of finding it used AND it just happens to match my head!

Man, it's such a huge step up from the cab I started with, which is pretty much 2 12" (possibly from a guitar cab) drivers screwed into a plywood box. From the outside it looked like a decent cabinet, but it was certainly homemade. Still, it was $50 and better than a Crate combo.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
After getting back into Polysics and watching some of their live videos, I was dying to get my hands on that weird bass. I did a little research, learned that Fumi mostly plays a Yamaha SBV-550, and discovered that they've been discontinued and seem impossible to get in the US. The few forum listings I saw were years old.

A few days later I went to the Guitar Center site just to entertain myself, and what do I see? Just arrived used for $200 + shipping! SIGN ME UP! How lucky is that?!

Click here for the full 382x1024 image.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Sparkly finish! (and dirty input)

This is the Yamaha 500 -- the 550 is a P+J version. I believe there are 5 versions, one being a signature model (Miki Furukawa of Supercar). I bought this sight-unseen figuring it was cheap and rare enough to be worth it, and it totally was. It arrived in much better condition than expected from the blurry picture I was given.

The weird shape actually makes it really comfortable to play, especially sitting. It has a thinner J-like neck with small frets (I was a little concerned about this, never having experienced them, but it feels very natural and I might even prefer smaller frets). The first thing the dude at GC told me was, "The neck pickup is a beast!" -- he's right! This thing is BADASS! Growly! It feels a little bad to say it, but it sounds better than my Jaguar Bass does (with default pups anyway). This may be my SBVlust talking.

It's not super heavy but not toylike. I'd say it weighs around 8 pounds. It feels really nice. I have no issues with this bass. In the future I might swap out the bridge with a Gotoh 201 or something. I was thinking of maybe adding a bridge cover...like if there was a precision cover without the "wings"...not sure about that yet.

I feel extremely fortunate to have come across this!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I'm not sure how many versions of the SGV there are. I think the SGV-300 is 3 single coils and the SGV-800 is a bridge humbucker and 2 single coils. Either way they are goddamn delicious.

My next quest is to get the SBV-550.

edit: I can't get over this bass. The neck pup is AWESOME! Someone on TB described it as able to sound like an active pup -- took the words out of my mouth.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 23, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

$2 at a yard sale. I need some batteries...I'm 95% sure 7.5v adapters don't actually exist.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Oh yeah, thanks...but I ended up buying batteries only to discover that the thing doesn't work anyway.

Maybe there's a way to salvage it or something.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
That is awesome! How much did it cost you?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Leecifer posted:

cheaper than this.

It burns!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

FrequencyBandit posted:

Got a Sunn Coliseum 300 to top the Emperor.

I'm super jealous of your setup. One day...

Those Emperor cabs seem bad as hell.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Wait, are they still producing the Aerodyne Jazz here? I thought it became a Japan-only bass or something.

They're purty.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I've read that those bridges are actually really nice. I don't have one like that on my Hondo but it seems to be suggested that if you have one, keep it.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
For a few months I was debating getting an SJM but the pictures on that site make it look UGLY AS SIN. And I usually like "ugly" guitars, but I thought it would just be too much.

But it actually looks really nice in your place...

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Been a while since I bought anything.

:swoon:

Next up, I'm saving for the day when someone is selling their Peavey VB-2. Well, or maybe another all-tube bass amp in that price range.

edit: oh yeah, if you're looking for a cheap and excellent OD pedal, I learned that GC is selling the WAY HUGE Pork Loin in-store for like $99 this week. I stupidly sold mine and I've been dying to get another one, but this purchase wiped me out for now.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 2, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
To be honest I'm not very knowledgeable regarding chords...or in general theory yet, so here is my extremely brief summary:

It eats minor chords for breakfast and excretes swirling chainsaw rainbows into your ears. Power chords all day, you can feel the vibrating oscillation in your chest! Major chords are a little iffy; if you are using the mid-boost switch they still sound pretty good though not as defined as the former. With the mids off it kinda just sounds like a wall of fuzz. Not a messy, atonal wall though, but if your goal was for someone to identify that chord it might fall short there.

Also, I thought it might be a slight let-down because of the amp I have (Hartke HA3500, a hybrid amp) but I was happily surprised. Using only the solid state preamp it doesn't disappoint, but it sounds much better using the tube one. I think it would be amazing with a fully tube amp.

edit2: As you lower the overdrive pot, it feels like the clean signal from the bass gets mixed in more with the effect, so it gets smoother and lower. "Well duh Achtane"...yeah, I know. I just thought it was cool -- it's not like the "tone" pot on, say, a Big Muff or something.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Oct 2, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Schlieren posted:

That's a very useful review... on a related note, and maybe others could also chime in: where (other than here obviously) do y'all find out about fairly esoteric gear like this that's being sold in all sorts of places?

Personally I hang out at talkbass.com and ilovefuzz.com and those alone can point you to some pretty neat gear, but for effects there is also the nicely organized http://www.effectsdatabase.com/

By the way, if it happens that you wanna buy a Big Spider, the build/wait time is a couple months. I was lucky and got this one for $160 on eBay because the dude couldn't use it in his current band. I'm also lusting after their Meat Smoke bass amp, but that's not gonna happen...

Warcabbit posted:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/XV-JM-Series-Offset-Electric-Guitars_c_208.html
Huh. This is new. Jaguars. And one of them is a TeleJaguar like someone custom built in this thread god knows how long ago.

I've been pining for that Telemaster thing in the translucent orange for a while now....but I'd rather save up for a tube amp and become more well-versed in bass playing. They look really good though, the few reviews I've seen of them are all quite positive.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Noisemaker Effects Crush Fuzz arrived today. I dig it! Interacts nicely with the tone and volume controls and doesn't suck any low end. It also helps even out and warm up my Big Spider's ultra-mid-scoop normal mode, AND it has a purty orange LED!

From the builder it was $65 including shipping. You can't beat that!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Incoming: Baby's first all-tube amp! (I have a Hartke HA3500, a hybrid)

Click here for the full 1800x834 image.

I got it for $525 and a $60 pedal.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Yes, I was pleased to see that. Having it on the back is just cumbersome to me.

I can see how, in the front, it would look messy/get in the way when you're trying to adjust knobs/etc, but I find it really awkward to use the back.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 26, 2010

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

communistdew posted:

What is this? I like it.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Subparr, that is AWESOME! Such a cool idea and that it's so portable is amazing.

In:

To be honest, its simplicity is really nice and refreshing. Not sure if this opinion will change but right now I love it! There are only like 8 components on its board, a couple jacks and a volume knob :shobon:
Doesn't even have a 9V in, you have to either add one yourself or use this type of battery snap adaptor.

I feel it really shines when you stack it with other fuzzes, spices everything up nicely. And I love the graphic.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Feb 8, 2011

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
I was very fortunate again and found my SBV a trebly bud to chill out with! SGV-300! Really should not have spent the money but...whatever, I had to spend the money.
I fuckin' love the SG/SB series reissues!
The shape seems to be very polarizing but personally I dig it! A lot!

No sparkle finish on this one, I'm not sure if the metalflake is limited to the basses or what.
Scale length is 24.75"
Standard neck - neck/bridge - bridge selector switch, and the controls from front to back are volume/tone/AND -- there's something special about the bridge pickup. It's not a humbucker, it's actually two individual single coils.
I'm not sure what you call this type of pot, but it basically has 3 points it rests at -- all the way clockwise and the bridgemost pickup is soloed. At the middle point, both single coils are blended for SUPER HUMBUCKIN' ACTION. On the other end, the middle pickup is soloed. So you can also blend them between those points if you want.

The pickups are not high output, let's say they're more towards the medium - mid rare side. Basically, it sounds exactly like you'd think a surf guitar would.

Check out the weirdo bridge!

It allows for bending up or down. I love the way it feels! Very smooth, but you can't do the metalz divebombing with it. More fluid than a strat-type by far. The arm is in a great position for vibrato strumming. It's a surfin', shoegazin' machine!

From the few forum posts I've read about these, some people seem to have tuning issues with the trem, and I'm guessing it's because you can only use two springs. I dunno, mine seems fine...depends on the combination of string gauge/springs/claw...um, length. I'll have to slap some 11s on it and see how that goes. Of course I just got it, but right now I'm very happy with this geetar!

FRIENDS 4 LYFE

also i know my yard sucks

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 23, 2011

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

glennnyc posted:

Just got a Kramer 8 string bass, 300 bucks.

Goddamn. Where did you find such a deal?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

It rules on bass!

I don't feel like doing a big write-up but I'm really impressed with the range of sounds you can get out of it, and there's zero loss of low-end. You don't even have to crank up the bass control to get "unity bass" :lol: but you can boost it further if you want.
Works well as a clean boost too. Not 100% clean, maybe, but really quite versatile. I really missed having an OD-type pedal. If you max out the drive it gets pretty fuzzy too. Also, doesn't sound like butt even with the treble set up there! As always, fun into or after fuzz.

I was looking forward to it, but still wasn't sure how well it would work on bass -- it's superb. Sounds poo poo-hot into the t00bz.
I'll try and remember to make a bad demo once I get a mic preamp.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 11, 2011

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

RillAkBea posted:

Oh god.. I bought what?

Went into the local shop to browse and after trying a lot of models I somehow ended up with a (non pawn shop) limited edition MIJ Mustang 69.

I tried quite a few guitars and fell on this one because it just sounded completely different, it intrigued me. Sounds a bit weird on overdrive, but great on fuzz.

This looks awesome, I'd never heard of these before. Unusual-looking pickups. I'm more of a bass person but the Pawn Shop Mustangs seem fantastic as well.

Fuzz is really all you need, anyway. Fuzz is king.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Yaaaaay

Been after one of these for a long time.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

MrLonghair posted:

So have I :ohdear: congrats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJWMb4JhZg

They've gone down in price in my parts of the world, last one I saw went for less than a used MS2K or MicroKorg, so it's only a question of time until it's my turn.

Yeah, I'm generally on a pretty limited budget so almost all of my gear is used. You just have to wait it out until it seems like you're not gonna find a better deal. I paid $350 USD for it, which might not be the lowest "ever", but I know the seller and it's in 100% condition, so...eh. They generally seem to go for $400-450 from what I've seen.

I have a really hard time buying anything above like $250 unless I just have to have it. I'm looking forward to figuring this thing out...poo poo, that video is awesome and inspiring!
Hope you get a deal on one soon!

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 18, 2011

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
New...guitarsanshin day?

LOOK AT THIS CRAZY PICK

This thing is super cool. The ancient Okinawans clearly knew that the key to those elusive Dimebag toans would require snakeskin. And they were right.
It's like a banjo but slightly more or less annoying, depending on playing ability and your point of view, I guess..
Samurai movie tones for days.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

The Gasmask posted:

Just got this in the mail:

It's an Agile Pendulum Pro 82527. Multi scale (25"-27"), maple+walnut neck with mahogany wings, rosewood? fretboard, EMG 45dc pickup.

I love it! Wanted a fanned fret for a while, found a good deal on a used one.

Nice!
I gotta ask, did you buy it from Ancient Astronaught?

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Left home and came back with a tower of Peavey, yay 15s! The VB-2 (225w tube head) is mine, but I hadn't been using it since selling my old Hartke 410 and moving to a mediocre guitar cab in the meantime. Nice to be able to use it again!
So far I'm digging the Bass 400 series, although the built-in distortion sounds pretty bad.

I have another empty 215 and I've been meaning to throw some Black Widows (like this cab has) in it, but then this appeared on Craigslist, so...

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Manky posted:

What bass is that? It's pretty (as is the rest of the picture!)

Thanks, it's a Yamaha SBV-500. The SBV series is a reissue of guitars that Yamaha made in the 60s-early 70s. Starting in 2001 (I think), they were made for 7 or 8 years in Japan, but were only in the US and UK for about 8 months; they didn't sell very well. But they're my absolute favorite guitars and I was super lucky to find this one. I've never been a big fan of J bass bridge pickups, but the neck one on this is amazing and really strong. I'd also like to get an SBV-550, the version with P and J pickups...but in a few years of searching the Internet I've only ever seen three of these for sale.

I also have one of the guitars, the SGV-300. There's also an -800 with two humbuckers as well as a couple of special versions. The bridge pickup on this 300 is actually two single coils. They're connected to a detented pot that lets you select either the bridge-most, middle or blend both to form a humbucker. The middle pickup alone sounds kinda like a Strat.

Sarah Cenia fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 24, 2012

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Wait, you go to ilovefuzz? I post there a lot.
Yeah, the Squiers they've been turning out lately seem really nice...the unusual models from Squier are more exciting than "real" Fenders to me. That looks like a cool one!

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Melodicaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Sounds awesome; much louder and better than I expected. Plus, surf green for those elusive shoegaze toanz.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Super good deal!
There were a few places where the top was starting to lift off, but I glued and clamped them, no problem. It's in good condition otherwise. Set it up for B (or A) standard with Elixir .13s and it's great, the most comfortable geetar neck I've played...my hands are huge and skinny necks don't really work out. I'm going to add a pickup sometime. I looked the serial number up and this one was made in spring/summer 1966.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

surrender posted:

The most frustrating feeling in the world: working multiple overnight shifts while this is sitting at home

drat, you were actually able to get one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

RetardedRobots posted:

Here's a rude dude with a bad attitude:

One of the very first Gibson Midtown basses to roll of the assembly line; ordered it at the beginning of October. Sexy and bong rattlin'.

gently caress yes, I love mudbuckers.