Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well, I just picked up an Epi Les Paul Nightfall

and an Ibanez Soundgear Bass

I've been happily thumping away on the bass, but managed to lose a saddle block on the LP's FR trem the first time I changed the strings. :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I went to guitar center right after work today and picked up a Mitchell MM100 Mandolin

It had just been put on the wall and hadn't even been tuned or set up, so the guy at the counter did it for me, and since I paid cash he threw in a set of strings.
I'll post a photo of mine once I get home.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

MusicJustus posted:

I find this thread extremely STRANGE and ALIEN to what I understand

We WRITE and post PICTURES of GEAR we either WANT to purchase, or HAVE purchased. THEN we DISCUSS the merits OF each OTHER'S purchases. It MAKES perfect SENSE>

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Just picked up a used Ovation Celebrity GC28.

With the rest of the gang.

The bowl back is a bit strange at first, but you get used to the feel after a while.
Also, you owe it to yourself to try out Martin silk & steel strings for two reasons. One, the sound is incredibly mellow and sweet. Two, they hold pitch at much lower tension. The acoustic is currently tuned to E standard, but the strings feel like they're in Db. I cannot recommend these strings enough.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I'm very jealous. The few times I've played through Orange amps have left me in love, and I've always wanted an SG to go along with my Les Pauls. Congrats on the whole thing.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

no dad im not gay! posted:

Oh, I'm quite aware of the specs of Gibson's current lineup of Les Pauls. The entire company is going down the shitter. Their leadership is so far out of touch with players and their QC is non-existant, it's ridiculous. It's already worse than the Norlin years; sharp frets, poor nutwork, sloppy finishes. God help you if your guitar wasn't plekked beforehand.

It's really sad that I prefer my Epiphone LPs to the utter crap that Gibson's been churning out recently. Most of the Epis play better than their Gibson counterparts :smith:

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Hadlock posted:

This sort of discussion makes me think about the difference in quality of factory made cars from Japan vs the United States in the 1980s. Looking at videos online it looks like the vast majority of gibsons are shaped by machines before final assembly... sort of like cars. I am pretty sure the epiphones are mfgd in Asia.

That said, I really like my epiphone :)

And just like cars from Asian manufacturers, they only get better with aftermarket additions. I'm looking at you tone-pros bridge and fine-tuner tail piece.

Seriously, if you have any of the Epis, invest in the tail piece, bridge and some locking tuners. More than worth every penny.

Well, yeah. That's why you have to hot-rod them. Or get an Epi with non-Epi Pups.

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 23, 2011

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Panterica posted:

My new guitar.

Not a huge fan of the dot inlay, but still a gorgeous guitar.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Just picked up this PdP 8-piece kit and DW2000 pedal. I can't wait to play it with the full band this weekend.

e:Might want to actually include the picture.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

Went to guitar center the other day to help a friend pick out an acoustic bass, and spotted this in the used gear section.

Marshall MG100DFX. Priced at $179.99.
Tried out a couple of different guitar with it, and while I'm not a huge fan of the onboard effects, I love the crunchiness it has. Besides, my only other amp is a crate FXT65 and it's currently sitting at my band's practice space.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

I have a question for my fellow guitarists. Has anyone experienced problems with Ernie Ball medium gauge strings lately? I restrung both my electrics last week and after about 8 hours of playing the strings seem very buzzy and weak. The guitars are both Les Paul's in standard tuning.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

nrr posted:

haha i can almost feel Jack White and the Edge's boners from here. They look like they're about to burst out giggling like little schoolgirls.

If you haven't seen the documentary this is from, you really should. It Might Get Loud is definitely worth at least one full viewing. And it's $8.50 on Amazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

It's not mine, but one of the guitarists in my band just picked this up from a coworker.

He hasn't been able to ID it, so I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas what it might be?

Alternative pants fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Mar 11, 2013