Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Decided to get rid of my active pickups. :yum:

Not my pic, since I haven't got mine yet, but they'll be the same color scheme.
Bareknuckle Nailbombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Godins are definitely good instruments that don't get as much attention as they should.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

Wow, that's impressively ridiculous. I would never have thought someone would design something like it and then try to sell it.

And they have been for 20 years. :iiam:

However, every single one of Vai's Universe models are much more understated, with the exception of the swirls. Though, there is one JEM, the Floral Print one, that is rather classy in its own way.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think it looks great with the black.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've had one or two of those, they're good guitars, but heavy as gently caress. The finish is also leagues ahead the silverbursts of other companies at that price range and even above.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

bisticles posted:

The older Agiles weren't chambered and are freaking hefty. They started chambering them (I think around when they changed the headstocks) to be a little more comfortable, but yeah... I can't play my old-school AL-2800 for more than an hour or so without getting sore.

So you're telling me that the chambered ones weigh 12 pounds and the old ones weighed even more? Because both ALs I've had were around the 10-12 mark, and I'm pretty sure they're after the headstock change. How much loving heavier can they get?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've wanted a shamisen for way too long.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You should look into a lace bass bar at some point for that. That combo would loving slay.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Baby's first string change. :3: I thought my first guitar broke because it had a tunomatic style bridge which fell off when I changed the strings.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a Floyd Rose Special. Other than that it seems to be a good price for what it is.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Actually in this case the guitar is made in Indonesia where the working conditions are likely only slightly less deplorable.

The Special isn't a bad unit by any means, I'm just fairly picky about trems. I'd actually take a special over most companies' takes on it, IE low end Jackson trems, Ibanez's Edge III, Ibanez's Lo-TRS, etc etc. In any case, it's not going to be on par with a Schaller Floyd, but it's more than a good deal on a guitar that's only 240 bucks.

Basically I'm just a picky pretentious rear end in a top hat who blocks his floyds anyway.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Manky posted:

I didn't know that. How can you tell? I can't find any indication on the website. Because drat, that was a major thing keeping me from fantasizing about that XV-610.

Rondo is pretty awesome and Kurt is a good guy, it's my pleasure to spread the word.

Back o' the headstock, if you consider that a reliable indicator. I would.

Warcabbit posted:

Rondo apparently used to have an actual store in Jersey at one point. Huh.
Still do, as far as I know.

e; guess that's actually in New Hampshire, nevermind.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know where the myth started, but the idea that heavier mahogany is better is ridiculous. If you're referring to the chambering though, I have no problem with that either.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those last two things aren't mutually exclusive. v:shobon:v

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh, the deal with the chambering is that some of Gibson's chambering schemes were really loving wacky and not really advertised. But on stuff where it's well designed and poo poo, like on the LP Supremes, it's not a big deal. About the heavy wood stuff, heavier or lighter isn't really important, as much as the resonance of the body is. So, a lighter slab is probably going to be a more resonant piece, but not always.
:words:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Sadsack posted:

Can any pickup gurus explain how a triple-bucker is superior to a normal humbucker? That guitar looks awesome, but that bridge pickup seems really gimmicky.

It's not superior, it's just different.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just got an LTD MH-307:

And I've finally got a nice pic of my BK Nailbombs in my Ibanez:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I planned on picking a copy of it up. Does your guitar's tuning matter or does it just say "whatever I'm assuming you're in the right tuning"?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

HollisBrown posted:

So I've been really bad about bragging about my new stuff. This is about the 6 months of new purchases.

I got this Malden Liquid about 5 months ago when they were liquidating their old stock. Picked this up for less than $225 with shipping and has turned into one of my favorite instruments. People often tell me they thought it was a $800+ guitar

oh god

oh god

Most of my guitars are the epitome of modern, but I always have a soft spot for older-styled guitars with p90s.

That's beautiful and I need one in my life.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No P90s no sale. :colbert:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't even have a guitar with a single goddamn P90 in it right now and I'm not really in any position to get one at the moment. I guess there's always HSP90s.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Odds are good that it is, but pick it up and just see if it feels cheap before you do if you can.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Honestly all I took offense to was the Invader. :shobon:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is that an 828? Nice call on the maple board, too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You are aware that a ton of people who are not nu-metal bands or Jazz or shred bands or whatever use sevens now right? Is nu-metal even a thing outside of Korn still?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

the wizards beard posted:

Are there many 7 strings that aren't pointy metal guitars?

Yeah. What's your threshold for pointy, though? Is an Ibanez RG too pointy? If that's the case, there's actually been a few Squier and I think one Fender 7. There's a ton more than that, but they aren't all BC Rich style.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The gently caress do you think "not-pointy" is if a DC7 is pointy?

http://www.rondomusic.com/sentinelvwh.html
The texan has the same headstock as the sentinel, by the way.

There's also this but oh no it has an extended scale length this is not acceptable: http://www.rondomusic.com/AL3000727EBtribalred.HTML

muike fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 27, 2011

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't think Slipknot did but Mushroomhead definitely did/does.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The Gasmask posted:

Just to annoy all you old guys, I've got another custom 8-string on the way!

I posted a while back about my Bernie Rico Jr. custom Hesperian 825 (which still hasn't arrived...). Well, This past Black Friday I was checking out some other builders and discovered Oakland Axe Factory. It turns out Tom Drinkwater, the guy behind it, lives almost right next to the family farm in Maine and visits the place quite a bit. We got talking and he decided to to an amazing BF run, a "semi"-custom 8-string for just over $1000 (regular semi-customs are $1500-2000, full customs are $3500+). I say "semi" because he's been more than generous regarding mods to his original idea and is doing some special things on my guitar. Even better, his guitars have a pretty unique flair which keeps them from being flavor-of-the-month RG clones.
Four other people are in on this run, it's expected they'll be done in March.

This is so goddamn exciting for me; here's a builder that knows my family, makes amazing guitars and is cool with me stopping by to check out progress/toss ideas around. I'll be ordering another guitar from him soon. Probably a multiscale 8 with some exotic woods.

My specs:
  • OAF 8-string singlecut (pretty much an 8-string Telecaster)
  • Ash body
  • AAAA Flamed Maple Top + Headstock Overlay (Satin finish- Ocean Blue)
  • 27" scale Indian Rosewood Neck + Fingerboard
  • Luminlay Side Dots (Glow-in-the-dark!)
  • Special Inlay
  • Lace Aluma X-Bar Pickups (futuristic custom P90's)
  • Black Hipshot Hardware
  • Volume, Tone, and 3-Way Switch
  • Custom Black Friday 2011 Marking

It'll look the same as this (just with different woods)

And here's what the multiscale will look like

While I was visiting Tom last weekend, I got to play this: A 10-string multiscale (27"-30") double cut, with a solid bubinga body and fretboard, and a bamboo neck.

I've wanted to get a 6 from Tom for ages, he makes gorgeous guitars.
Do you post on sevenstring.org?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Unless you're a collector of vintage pedals, that's not a good trade. There are plenty of modern tubescreamer clones that'll function as nicely or better than a 1980 one.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does it play well, at least? It looks pretty awesome and I'd love a guitar like that. It looks like something a j-rock or visual kei band would play.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Ever heard of a band called Metallica? I think you should check them out.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Is that a Gibson/Epiphone or MX-220?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
His secret shame, he's a member of Metclub

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Those are great guitars, and I wanted one for quite a while.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I will never not tell people to put nailbombs in their guitars, I don't care what they're playing. Nailbomb all the time, every guitar. If Tim'll allow it, try and get silver hex bolts like that one in the pic if you get pole pieces showing. He's been kinda cracking down on mixing bolts and screws lately, though. If you're in the US and don't mind me asking, where would you be ordering the pickups from?
Pull the switch chit off that, too.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

The Gasmask posted:

I'll probably grab them from the Axe Palace, though if I find a used set I'll go for that regardless of covers.
Good call on the chip- it really doesn't need to be there, it takes away from the simpler look of it. I'm hella glad it didn't come with a pickguard either, screw holes bug the hell out of me.

If you do get them from Nick, see if you can get some of those 550k pots, and let me know how they are.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

dissin department posted:

Thank you. I guess that the real quality in that site lies in the Agile line, because as far as cheap instruments go I love mine.

As far as I know, Brice is the Agile-equivalent for Rondo's basses.
Just bought a guitar I've wanted for a while: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270924328994?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
I'll be removing those stupid inlay stickers ASAP.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

This thing needs some serious TLC. Those inlay stickers are going ASAP. There's copper oxidation at the base of the bridge. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah I saw those the other day - figured I'd grab one, but clean this one anyway, since they need to be special ordered. I'm glad it's cheap to get a replacement though!
No clue what I'm going to do about pickups - if this replaces my other guitar in terms of which is my primary, I'll throw my Nailbombs in it.
Any tips on cleaning the bridge would be appreciated.