Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Are you in that run Tom did at a discount?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I think you made the right call on that one. The intrepids seem to work out much better than the 8 string Septors.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They're just really bad at offering the combinations I want. :negative: They never seem to make any passive Septor Elites.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
You want something like this, then?
http://www.amazon.com/SINGLE-COIL-PICKUP-COVER-CHROME/dp/B0006ZRN90

If yes, I can probably find something, I think

edit: http://www.warmoth.com/Stratreg-Pickup-Cover-Chrome-P859.aspx

You can buy them singularly here, if they fit your dimensions.

muike fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 19, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It won't be a perfect fit, I think those are meant for Duncans, but it should work. I'm not sure. I'll fire off an email to Warmoth and see what they say.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not the DiMarzio diagram that's giving me trouble, but Duncan's, it's not very helpful for pole piece spacing.

e: warmoth just got back to me and said it's good to go as long as the pole pieces are sized vintage(normal) and I'm pretty sure the true velvet is vintage as heck

muike fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 19, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
No problem. The chrome won't match the nickel covers perfectly, but eh, the difference won't be that noticeable, especially after some playtime, especially especially if you let your instruments get as dirty as I do.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do what I do and rip it out and keep everything on the 5 way. :getin:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Wax potting your own pickups is a pro tac.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Stick with the cream cover, Faustus.

Constipated posted:

Its been way too long since I've been able to post in this thread.

Got a Ibanez artcore AM73 today for 200$. Really wanted a semi hollow, so when I saw it on craigslist at that price I jumped on it. Hardly any wear on it, sounds and plays like a much more expensive guitar. I am happy :)

I play bass, not my first electric but I think I'll definitely keep this one and learn to play. Its a dark reddish/brown finish, lovely camera phone makes it look black in that pic. The wood grain looks really nice too.

Yeah, artcores play CRAZY GOOD for their price range, I've always loved them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
As long as we're talking about overdrives, what's the current "best" tubescreamer around?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does it still have that TS essence to it? They painted it green, it must be emulating it at least a little.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It depends on what you're going for. I find hb sized P90s to be "close enough" moreso than split coil humbuckers are to single coils. Much more.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It looks like a Godin.

VVV Yeah godins are fantastic and crazy cheap, it's a great company.

muike fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 18, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It makes me think of grandmas for some reason. Not in the gilf way but still in a good way.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It is not my style at all but I can't help but love the way those look.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Want to try them out for my satin finished guitars. Can you get micromesh as autobody/hardware stores?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Oh my gooooooodddddd.

I don't know the history of it, but it looks a whole loving lot like Gibson's Vegas models.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
So it doesn't sit at an angle on the face of the guitar. Since the top is carved, a non-recessed knob is going to follow the angle of the curve where it's sat. It's not a big problem for volume knobs since they're usually at a pretty flat part of the face of the guitar. Pisses me off about my RGA, to be honest.

Good catch, they're not my type of guitar, but they seem really fantastic.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's like a classical, the tuners go in sideways with the pegs inside the empty space.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you don't like concentric pots (like me) you can wire a push/pull or push/push as a volume in one throw and tone in the other. It's kinda nifty.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Never don't nailbomb.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Southern Heel posted:

Bluesdad? Is that better or worse than a BC Rich-playing metalhead?

Worse by a factor of age

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Bluesdad genes should not be passed on, and I am Son of Bluesdad.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
im going to buy a warlock and paint my fingernails black

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hallo I am muike\ I put new pickups in my guitar and now it is Tim the Toolman Taylor

My pictures are lovely and I am a lazy dorkus, enjoy my salmon guitar rear end

They're DiMarzio Dominions, really great sounding bridge pickup, good sounding neck pickup (I don't use neck pickups that much). Need to spend more time EQing my amp with them to get the most out of them, but I've been pretty content to not tweak anything and just play with them.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LehNm4VVqJI

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've been like that for a long time. :negative:

I've spent at least 3 times as much on pickups for my S540 as I did for the actual guitar.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a bridge Ibanez used just for the RGA121 and RGA321s, it's called the Gibraltar Plus and it's made by Gotoh. Those are the only guitars it has been used on.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
They look pretty nifty. Not something I'm really interested in getting right now, but I could definitely see myself playing one so long as the pickups are good or you can replace them with convential designs.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

muike posted:

Hallo I am muike\ I put new pickups in my guitar and now it is Tim the Toolman Taylor

My pictures are lovely and I am a lazy dorkus, enjoy my salmon guitar rear end

They're DiMarzio Dominions, really great sounding bridge pickup, good sounding neck pickup (I don't use neck pickups that much). Need to spend more time EQing my amp with them to get the most out of them, but I've been pretty content to not tweak anything and just play with them.

I just spent some time (only a little bit really) tweaking my kind butt amp with the Dominions and omg they're swell :swoon:

I'm not a guy who really uses a lot of gain despite being a tardass who really only wants to play weird metal and these sound absolutely amazing, I even turned my gain down from where I had it, and almost prefer running my amp with the overdrive off. You can get a really aggressive sound with them and still maintain the actual sound of the strings with them. It's fantastic.
Well, the bridge pickup I mean. I haven't really spent much time with the neck, but it's okay and it does its job, but it doesn't grab me like, say, a nailbomb does.
I'd seriously recommend the bridge Dominion to anyone looking for a medium-high gain pickup for just about any style.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BobOfDoom posted:

Schecter Loomis 7 FR

A pretty perfect addition to the family.

Nice. I really want to check those out, but the mcfretboard really throws me off.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I just prefer the paler maple boards as compared to stuff with vintage tints. Not making GBS threads on it at all, it just ends up looking like a frenchfry in ketchup to me.

I just picked up a 7 which I hope will show up on monday so it's probably gonna be a while before I try out a Loomis.

That, and with the odds of an LTD Stef Carpenter Tele coming out next year, it's gonna be a long time before I feel the urge to get Loomy

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

It's nice to have a 7 string again.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

muike posted:

It's nice to have a 7 string again.

I switched the D Activators in this around, and wow, what a difference. The d activator neck pickup is an amazing bridge pickup. It's got this telecaster like sound to it that really makes you want to dig in, and it doesn't get too thick or dark. In fact, it's fairly bright. I recommend more people try it out. You could use it for all sorts of genres, it really nails rock sounds, not just metal. It's almost like a traditional single coil turned into a modern humbucker. Anything you think would sound good on a tele or a strat bridge pickup would sound great with this.

Handen posted:

Kluson Wafflebacks to upgrade my 60's Tribute SG. Now to figure out which Callaham bridge I need and I'll be all set.
You wouldn't happen to mean one of these style of bridges, would you?
http://www.allparts.com/GB-0510-010-Chrome-Bridge-for-Gibsonreg-SG_p_1534.html

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The Premium line all seems pretty solid to me, so I'd go for it if you want it. I don't know if I'd pay as much as the asking price for them, but I usually only buy used guitars so I'm pretty biased.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How do you like the bridge on that L6?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's how the story goes.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Schlieren posted:

edit:

Pointy
Guitar
Goon
Club

edit: Noted, thanks. Y'all are going to poke somebody's eye out with those things
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

I think that's the first time I've seen someone call a MusicMan pointy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I can't think of any reason to not have a 303.