Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Mr JinX posted:

Surprisingly it sounds awesome for 34 bux shipped

zzounds.com has it for $29.99 right now:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--DODYJM308

I just ordered one because ... well, how can you disagree with this:

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 14, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I'll post pictures later, but I picked up a Pod XT Live the other day. So far it's fun to play around with, but it's going to require quite a bit more tweaking until it replaces the 4 or so stomp boxes that I usually haul back and forth to practice.

edit: With picture!

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 12, 2007

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Doesn't the 707 require some sort of fancy proprietary floorboard dealie to make it output real midi?

edit: Are you getting the idea for the Ovation and the 707 from Chrisguitars.com? I only ask because I noticed that they were both on the front page of "new" items, and didn't see any other place in the universe where their paths would cross.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 4, 2007

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

fried eggs posted:

71 vibrochamp

That... is awesome.

I got a BYOC Rat clone yesterday. I'm going to paint it brown and call it The Dirty Sanchez.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Handen posted:

....is this based on a DIY kit from generalguitargadgets.com?

Probably very similar. It's from buildyourownclone.com, although I bought it from someone used for much less.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

bisticles posted:

That... is awesome.

I got a BYOC Rat clone yesterday. I'm going to paint it brown and call it The Dirty Sanchez.

Thought I'd post a follow up. Here it is after a couple of coats of Krylon brown primer. I sprayed it and then let it bake on my charcoal grill in the back yard.

As for sound, I'm really digging it at low distortion levels just to add a little bit of dirt to the sound. Works really well for some Rolling Stones type stuff.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

If buying wood, velcro, adhesive spray and stain counts, then I bought a pedalboard :)

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The Dark Wind posted:

I should be getting one of these two soon enough, I just need to decide on which one! :)

Schecter C-1 Hellraiser:

ESP LTD V-500:

Edit: I've heard some bad things about LTD. Can anyone clarify the issue and tell me if it is worth worrying about?

I really like the look of that Schecter. I've got a thing for arched-top doublecuts lately, though.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Secret Machine posted:

And now that I don't have to spend anything for a good distortion, I went and got this too for a $165 off American Musical Supply. I can't wait till it arrives. I'm going to play with the feedback knob for hours.

Are you sure you don't mean the Stereo Memory Man? I don't see the DMM selling for anything less than $300 new anywhere.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Capitan Dad posted:

Well, I pretty well had to register account after I got a new guitar today.

Danelectro DC-3 in sparkle blue.

Welcome to the forums!

Just FYI, you should rehost that image on something else, like waffleimages.com for example. Folks don't take kindly to image leeching 'round these parts.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

emilbus posted:

So much fun mashing as many effects as quickly as possible, glitching up everything.

Any chance you should record a video of exactly how one of those things works? It looks like a lot of fun.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Well hello there

It's so dirty.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Tehdude posted:

Out of curiosity, how do those compare to a regular Muff?

I haven't played on a Big Muff lately, but it's got the same feel. The guys over at harmony central are saying that's it's gainier and louder, but who knows. Either way, no complaints here.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I finally got myself a Godin.

It's a really interesting guitar. The body is almost like an EVH Wolfgang but a hair thinner, and the neck is very thin compared to my Fenders. Action is super-low across the whole neck, and the bridge design is pretty unique. The pickups that it came with have a good bite, but backing off the volume knob brings it back into a cleaner territory without losing definition.

edit: aaahhh it's insane with a bunch of overdrive. I really can't wait to try this out at full volume next week.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 20, 2007

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Scooter, My bank account hates you so much right now..

Hahahaha... that's why this thread is comedy gold.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jul 14, 2007

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Congratulations, that's a killer deal there. I really really like the look of the mother-of-pearl with white and gold. It's so... glitzy. You really need to get one of those really fancy 3" wide straps to go along with it that has all sorts of fringes and rhinestones all over it to pull the whole thing off.

The BD-2 and TU-2 are great pedals, too. You'd be really lucky to find them used for less than $120 together.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ReverendHammer posted:

Also for $50:
Korg N5 Synthesizer

Holy crap... nice score.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

And here I thought I was over my G.A.S.

Sorry for the lousy picture. My Rivera amp poo poo the bed, so I'm using an old Fender Stage 112 in the meantime. Thought I could use some foot candy to make it a little more interesting. It's everything I had hoped for.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

commissargribb posted:

I would imagine that a pedal called "OCD" would require the knobs to be adjusted at least 6 times during any song.

Haha... actually, I got to try it out last night, and left the volume and drive knobs around 9 o'clock the whole time. Sounded fantastic. I'm very happy with my impulse purchase.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Col.Kiwi posted:

poo poo, I didn't think I'd see the day you'd buy two tube amps one after another. That's a stupidly great deal on that head though, sounds nice from the description and I love Peavey heads - have a Valveking myself.

How well does the valveking do at practice volumes? I ask because I'm in the market for a new amp, and the valveking looks cool, but I'm wondering if a 100 watt amp is going to be way too loud. Obviously, I'll try anything out before buying, but just curious if you have any sort of person review/experience to share.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Col.Kiwi posted:

valve king stuff

Thanks, good info. I've got a 40 watt Rivera Chubster right now that's plenty loud, although there's a lot of room to play with between the volume and master knobs. I'm just kind of hankering for something... bigger... right now.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

KcMsterpce posted:

It's my birthday present:
[sexy tele]

Happy Birthday!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Did some trading and ended up with this:

It's 100 watts (with 50 and 25 watt modes) and sounds delightful. From what I can see, it's somewhere between an 84 and an 87. It's got four 6L6C's for the poweramp and 3 12ax7s before that. Also, heavy like the whale.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 12, 2008

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Susano-maku da! posted:

And around the same time I bought a Keeley modded ProCo Rat Vintage Reissue from The Gear Page:

I'm not convinced. It seems to lack some of the character that the ProCo Rat II had. Plus the lack of LED annoys me.

ooh... Rat love seems to run hot and cold, but I love 'em. It sounds a little odd by itself, but when you get it cranking at band volumes, that's when it really shines.

And Agreed, I'll see about getting some clips, but my cab is at the band's practice nook.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I made a few trades and ended up with a Peavey Classic 30 (and something else very nice that I'll post tomorrow). Came with the footswitch and cover, and is in absolutely perfect shape. I'm really digging the tone, and am dying to try it out at band volumes.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The good news: My new (to me) Avatar Vintage cab arrived today, and it looks awesome!

The bad news: Somewhere along the way, the magnets on both speakers cracked, so it sounds like rear end.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Raze posted:

:gonk:
How the hell does that even happen? Force? Temp. changes? Will Avatar replace them, or are you stuck with the tab? :(

I'm assuming a few choice drops with the magnets being very cold. It was packaged really well, and there's no way that anything could have directly hit the magnets, so something epic must've happened along the way, although I don't see any other damage. I talked with the guy who sent it to me (it's used) and trust him that it was ok when he sent it out, so I'll probably have to eat the cost myself. They were Hellatone 60s, which I was really looking forward to hearing, too.

edit: vvvv I'm gonna talk to him and see what he wants to do.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 12, 2008

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

pennywisdom posted:

Oh the sound of sweet silence.

Ooh, never seen one of those before. Looks classy. Never seen a compact pedal with an XLR output before.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

The gods of Craigslist are smiling down on me lately. I've had it in the back of my mind lately that it'd be nice to own an archtop, but I didn't think I'd be buying one so soon. It's a 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II in Natural Honey with a Gibson '57 Classic in the bridge and case. It feels really nice, and I'm actually enjoying the stock neck pickup, so I think that's going to stay in. Definitely want to put some straplocks on it soon, though. It sounds brilliant through the Classic 30.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Nosir posted:

As much as Sheratons are nice, i have a bad association with them due to this awful girl that was in one of my guitar classes in high school (haha, high school guitar classes). She always thought she was some gift from god to the music community because her dad had a home studio in their basement, so somehow that made her an amazing guitarist automatically, even though she sucked. Her dad gave her one of those guitars after she had only been playing for about six months. It always bothers me when brand new players get really nice guitars and suddenly think they are fantastic beacause of it. She would play something, then look at me as if she wanted me to bow down and worship the ground she walked upon, ok lady, sure thing. Argh, i hate lovely guitarists that think they are the best thing since sliced bread! :argh:

Enough whining, in reality i really like the way those things look and would love to have one. I wonder how it would look in black with all that gold hardware :swoon:

I've felt the same way about '67 fastback Mustangs ever since a classmate in high school got one as a seventeenth birthday present, along with a lifetime pass to the local carwash so she could show up every morning with the shiniest car in the lot.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Cirofren posted:

I love the wear on the back. Screw the Fender Relic models that look like they've just been in a fight with a belt sander, that violin looks like it's got serious stories to tell.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

My new Fender Powerhouse Strat in Metallic Caramel. This is one of the hottest looking strats I've ever seen. It's a MiM, but comes with noiseless active pickups, and a 12db boost. With that boost it's got the most balls I've ever heard in a strat with singles.

Here's a more closeup shot to see the metallic flakes. Looks awesome in person.

That looks awesome. Love the color, and I bet it sounds like a beast.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

herculesrockefeller posted:

Did the previous owner take a belt sander to it or something?

Judging by the wear around the pickups, that's what it looks like.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Decided to stir the pot a little bit with some new pedals.

This is the MXR MC-402, which is just like the MC-401 except that it's got an Overdrive section added. The boost is wonderful. It's just what I needed to push through the mix a little bit for solos without switching to distortion/od. The OD side is very meh. I'm not sure what kind of sound they were going for, but it's very unnatural. I'm gonna play with it for a while and see if I can make it work somewhere.

M.I. Audio Crunchbox. Wheeee!!! A very lively distortion pedal that's just got gobs and gobs of sound. I'm still experimenting with settings, but I like what I've got so far. It stacks up nicely with the OCD.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ZombiePeanut posted:

Also, something I've always wondered... how exactly do you change the pickups/wiring in an archtop? There never seems to be any kind of control cavity.

Like Col.Kiwi said, it sucks. Someone on another forum mentioned using rubber tubing (like the kind you'd use in an aquarium) instead of string or wire so that you can pull it right back up through the original hole when you're done soldering.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Col.Kiwi posted:

Man, that guy took everything out through the F-hole. I have no idea what posesses people to do that, it seems to me like it'd be way more of a pain in the rear end than taking it out through the pickup cavity. Maybe the f holes are bigger on the guitars people are doing this on, but I'm sure I'd have broken a solder joint if I tried to cram everything through the f hole in my Dot.

On my Sheraton II, that's the only way to get everything out. The pickups are mounted in a solid section in the middle of the body and the leads go through a hole into the lower half.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Guys, I'm in need of a good booster pedal. I don't really want an EQ pedal because I'm happy with my sound, I just needed it boosted for certain lead work. I'm currently using a Maxon OD9 tubescreamer as my booster, on top of my Jekyll & Hyde overdrive. It's not too effective as a booster though (and I generally leave them both on as I LOVE what the OD9 adds.

I was thinking about the Seymour Duncan pickup booster ?

I just recently picked up an MXR MC-402, which is a boost and od in one pedal. The OD is kinda lame, but the boost is exactly what I wanted; something I can step on to push myself through the mix a little bit for soloing. It's got a clean volume boost that doesn't make it sound trebely or bassy... just a nice clean boost. You can get the boost by itself in a smaller pedal in the MC-401. Just another option to consider .

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Uncle Caveman posted:

Peavey Classic 30; I wanted a 1x12 Vox AC30 but could never find one. This one came with JJ tubes, a Celestion V30 and the better-looking old cab style. I'm running it in stereo with the Ampeg - the C30's top-boost sounds great with the SJ-12T's wooden-boxy plunk.

The Classic 30 is such a great amp, and yours looks killer with the black grille like that. They must love archtops or something, because it really brings out the best in my Sheraton II.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

mono posted:

From what I understand a wah usually works best before any other pedals. Correct me if I'm wrong, ML.

People will put it before or after their dist/od depending on if they want a wah'd fuzz or a fuzz'd wah. After a few minutes of playing both ways, you'll see the difference... it's not subtle. Most people stick it first, but you should always be experimenting.

I reckon someone could fashion up a "before/after" box with a few bits from pedal parts plus if they had a need to switch modes on the fly. May be an interesting project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Well would you look at that. I'd imagine a 4pdt would require a pretty solid stomp to engage the switch.

One of these days I'll get around to building my "everything box"; a looper/tuner out/ tap tempo doodad.

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 19, 2008