Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

From the WaPo article about this: “Although tens of thousands of people have applied for forgiveness to date, just over 16,000 have been successful.”

What a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My wife has nine years of payments into the PSLF progarm and while the I think the only effect of these changes for us is to get back one month of payments that was literally late by days, I have to say the whole DoE loans programs is unbelievably predatory. In fact, I'm pretty certain we're 4-6 months ahead of the official count and I have records of every payment submitted and paper bank statements showing each withdrawal for ten years, so I suppose it's soon time to count those all up and upload statements.

Here's the part I never understood: She has 13 DoE loans, they all go through the same servicer and we get a single monthly statement. Of these, only nine are eligible for PSLF, while the other four are "PLUSGB" (?), Stafford, and Stafford unsubsidized. Despite being not eligible for PSLF we've never been able to consolidate those loans or direct payments specifically towards them. With interest rates between 6.8% and 8.5% we basically still owe the entire principal of those loans, and so will still have a big chunk of debt even after forgiveness.

I assume these policy changes don't apply to those loan types, but what's the most sensible thing to do here? I assume continue to make payments (once they resume) and then once forgiveness comes through immediately consolidate and refinance them?

Part of what makes this predatory is that we didn't learn these four loans were ineligible for PSLF (or maybe more accurately, that we couldn't do anything with them while we had other PSLF-eligible loans) for the first four years we made payments. It was only when her servicer changed from Great Lakes to FedLoans did we actually get a count of eligible payments to date and learn those were included but ineligible. If we had known that in 2012 we might've opted to consolidate/refinance them immediately and abandon PSLF, but since we didn't the back-of-the-envelope math I did in 2016 suggested we might break even, even after forgiveness. Of course, COVID/the CARES act changes that balance a bit in our favor, which is perhaps the only good thing I can say about all this.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My wife has nine years of payments into the PSLF progarm and while the I think the only effect of these changes for us is to get back one month of payments that was literally late by days, I have to say the whole DoE loans programs is unbelievably predatory. In fact, I'm pretty certain we're 4-6 months ahead of the official count and I have records of every payment submitted and paper bank statements showing each withdrawal for ten years, so I suppose it's soon time to count those all up and upload statements.

Here's the part I never understood: She has 13 DoE loans, they all go through the same servicer and we get a single monthly statement. Of these, only nine are eligible for PSLF, while the other four are "PLUSGB" (?), Stafford, and Stafford unsubsidized. Despite being not eligible for PSLF we've never been able to consolidate those loans or direct payments specifically towards them. With interest rates between 6.8% and 8.5% we basically still owe the entire principal of those loans, and so will still have a big chunk of debt even after forgiveness.

I assume these policy changes don't apply to those loan types, but what's the most sensible thing to do here? I assume continue to make payments (once they resume) and then once forgiveness comes through immediately consolidate and refinance them?

Part of what makes this predatory is that we didn't learn these four loans were ineligible for PSLF (or maybe more accurately, that we couldn't do anything with them while we had other PSLF-eligible loans) for the first four years we made payments. It was only when her servicer changed from Great Lakes to FedLoans did we actually get a count of eligible payments to date and learn those were included but ineligible. If we had known that in 2012 we might've opted to consolidate/refinance them immediately and abandon PSLF, but since we didn't the back-of-the-envelope math I did in 2016 suggested we might break even, even after forgiveness. Of course, COVID/the CARES act changes that balance a bit in our favor, which is perhaps the only good thing I can say about all this.

Are the Stafford loans federal loans? They should qualify for PSLF, or at least should be able to be consolidated into Direct Loans, which should make them eligible for PSLF.

I'll echo the predatoriness of the entire program though. It was only years later that I realized that through the Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL) Program, private lenders gave out "Federal" Stafford loans, which although technically federal loans, weren't eligible for PSLF unless they were consolidated afterwards into direct loans. Only a few of my loans fell in to this category, but it meant that my years of making payments on these loans didn't count towards PSLF until I consolidated them.

If these changes go through, that'd be fantastic, even though I switched jobs this summer to a non 501c3 job. Part of that calculus was that PSLF wouldn't save me a ton of money because of those additional years of ineligible payments. :sigh:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

My partner just did an annual payment certification. 67/120 payments made.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
Watching this PSLF revamp closely, as this will apply to me. I'm hopeful that this makes more borrowers eligible without too much red tape. The process to qualify is ridiculous.

For ExcessBLarg! above: the PLUSGB your wife has should be GradPLUS loans.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do any of these changes let me count payments made for the 8 months I worked for a Board of Elections as a 40 hours per week temp? That has been annoying.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Are the Stafford loans federal loans?
How do we tell? They show up on FedLoans adjacent to her other Direct Loans.

Actually now I remember--the reason we never consolidated them is because that would've restated then forgiveness clock on her Direct Loans and we were already 48 months into those when we were informed, and we decided that it was better to eat the loans that weren't eligible for PSLF instead of consolidating and starting over.

So it sounds like once these policies are finalized we can consolidate into a single Direct loan and still have eligiblity for the monthly payments we've already put in?

What would be really helpful is someone who can walk us through doing the right thing here because we just don't want to screw up. I thank the Internet for doing that as much as it can, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

oh poo poo oh gently caress

:woop:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Woo. Go get a nice dinner.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.

Sirotan posted:

:woop:

Heck yeah! Congrats!

There has been some updates to that OP that's worth a re-read for those that might be wanting clarification or more details.

Man, I'm still really happy this is happening. It's long overdue. Reading about what works and doesn't under the new/upcoming plan is making my eyes cross so I think I might stop reading about it till mine are forgiven since that should be imminent.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How do we tell? They show up on FedLoans adjacent to her other Direct Loans.

Actually now I remember--the reason we never consolidated them is because that would've restated then forgiveness clock on her Direct Loans and we were already 48 months into those when we were informed, and we decided that it was better to eat the loans that weren't eligible for PSLF instead of consolidating and starting over.

So it sounds like once these policies are finalized we can consolidate into a single Direct loan and still have eligiblity for the monthly payments we've already put in?

What would be really helpful is someone who can walk us through doing the right thing here because we just don't want to screw up. I thank the Internet for doing that as much as it can, but that shouldn't be necessary.

If they show up here, they're federal loans. Private loans won't show up.

Sirotan posted:

Hell yeah! Congratulations!!!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do 40 hour/wk temps get qualifying months like 30/hr part timers? That extra 8 months would be real nice on top of this extra 15k in consolidations. I'm less than 20 months now! :toot:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Hello student loan thread. Mrs. spf3million is heading back to get her BS in nursing and we're considering taking out a loan to cover tuition. We could technically probably cover tuition out of pocket but it would eat into our e-fund and since we just bought our first house, we'd like to keep that e-find pretty healthy. Since I make too much to qualify for any subsidized loans, is our best bet to just shop online for a private student loan? Is it like shopping for a mortgage lender where it's all about the APR or are there other things to consider? Most of the results on simpletution.com are pretty comparable: sofi, ascent, earnest, and college ave are all just under 3%.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

spf3million posted:

Hello student loan thread. Mrs. spf3million is heading back to get her BS in nursing and we're considering taking out a loan to cover tuition. We could technically probably cover tuition out of pocket but it would eat into our e-fund and since we just bought our first house, we'd like to keep that e-find pretty healthy. Since I make too much to qualify for any subsidized loans, is our best bet to just shop online for a private student loan? Is it like shopping for a mortgage lender where it's all about the APR or are there other things to consider? Most of the results on simpletution.com are pretty comparable: sofi, ascent, earnest, and college ave are all just under 3%.

Have you filled out a FAFSA and been explicitly told you don’t qualify for a subsidized loan? If so, yeah, compare it to the private options etc.

If you haven’t though, Fill out the dang FAFSA, submit it to the school, and make them tell you they won’t/can’t give you a better offer first.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Oh yeah meant to mention that we finished up FAFSA last night. We'll certainly see what if anything that turns up but we're not expecting anything.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!
She'll likely be offered unsubsidized loans regardless, since those aren't need-based. I would strongly suggest taking federal loans over private loans, regardless of interest rate, because of the protections built in.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Interesting, what kind of protections?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Here are my current loan stats. I've worked my entire career at a 501, and was originally on some kind of IBR, but at some point I got it into my head "gee I should pay down my loans faster" and picked a higher amount than necessary and then just stuck with that amount and forgot about it for 7 years or something. I'm not sure how it ranks higher or lower than I would be on the various qualifying IBRs.

My main question is: I understand that TEPSLF goes through like October 2022. If this thinks I won't be done until 2023, does that mean I need to change to a specific repayment plan now? I'm just hoping uncle joe wipes out $10k and I don't have to worry about it, but I don't know whether to anticipate that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Are you certain TEPSLF expires in October 2022? I know this new initiative to re-review everyone that's been denied before does but haven't heard anything about TEPSLF expiring on a certain date. I thought TEPSLF will run till it no longer has money.

I don't think any payment plan change will help you get your valid payment count faster. I paid more than the minimum on my graduated repayment plan and that really screwed up my payment counts for the longest time. Now I'm sitting at like 129 valid TEPSLF payments waiting for final approval.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

spf3million posted:

Interesting, what kind of protections?

Forgiveness programs (such as Public Service yes, but also disability, death, payment plan based after 20 years, a few other things which private loans won't have). Most importantly, the many forbearance and deferment options for payments. Right now all federal loans have had payments paused with no interest accruing (on either sub or unsub loans) for months because of the pandemic, as an example.

Private loans play by their own rules. I've always thought of them as similar to credit cards in terms of how they vary in payment, interest rate, and payment pausing options.

That's not to say they're evil or people should feel bad for taking them out if you have no other options, but I would always choose federal first.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Aexo posted:

Are you certain TEPSLF expires in October 2022? I know this new initiative to re-review everyone that's been denied before does but haven't heard anything about TEPSLF expiring on a certain date. I thought TEPSLF will run till it no longer has money.

I don't think any payment plan change will help you get your valid payment count faster. I paid more than the minimum on my graduated repayment plan and that really screwed up my payment counts for the longest time. Now I'm sitting at like 129 valid TEPSLF payments waiting for final approval.

I haven't heard of it expiring either, but Congress is fickle. What I would say is that loans taken out while it is active should have the program listed in their promissory note, so definitely check into that Petey just to make sure (you can ask for a copy of your Master Promissory Note from your servicer if you don't have one), and you should be fine.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Wiggy Marie posted:

I haven't heard of it expiring either, but Congress is fickle. What I would say is that loans taken out while it is active should have the program listed in their promissory note, so definitely check into that Petey just to make sure (you can ask for a copy of your Master Promissory Note from your servicer if you don't have one), and you should be fine.

Here's where I got the date from: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/pslf-limited-waiver

quote:

This change will apply to student loan borrowers with Direct Loans, those who have already consolidated into the Direct Loan Program, and those who consolidate into the Direct Loan Program by Oct. 31, 2022.

So maybe this doesn't matter because I consolidated back in 2009. I just don't really know what my rate "should" be now because I just had it at this semi-arbitrary $200 a month or whatever for years and years (the reason I'm not paid off is because of interest that accrued while I was in a masters program and paused payments)

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Wiggy Marie posted:

Forgiveness programs (such as Public Service yes, but also disability, death, payment plan based after 20 years, a few other things which private loans won't have). Most importantly, the many forbearance and deferment options for payments. Right now all federal loans have had payments paused with no interest accruing (on either sub or unsub loans) for months because of the pandemic, as an example.

Private loans play by their own rules. I've always thought of them as similar to credit cards in terms of how they vary in payment, interest rate, and payment pausing options.

That's not to say they're evil or people should feel bad for taking them out if you have no other options, but I would always choose federal first.
Thanks, I hadn't considered those aspects. Looks like fed unsubsidized loans are about 0.75% higher interest than private right now. Since we expect to pay these off in the couple of years at most, the rate won't make too big of a difference.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If I consolidate do I need to seek forgiveness by 2022 or just have completed a form to get qualifying payments checked off?

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

spf3million posted:

Hello student loan thread. Mrs. spf3million is heading back to get her BS in nursing...

Does she already hold a 4 year undergrad degree (BA or BS or something else)? In other words, is this a "second 4 year degree" or "second BSN program"? If she already holds a 4 year undergraduate degree, she may not be eligible for federal student aid; this is hugely problematic when I am working with students who are currently earning their BA or BS, but have decided they want to enter a "second degree" nursing program.

EDIT - I'm with Wiggly Marie, HIGHLY endorse federal student loans over private ones. Much, much more consumer protection on the former than the latter.

Wiggy Marie
Jan 16, 2006

Meep!

Petey posted:

Here's where I got the date from: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/pslf-limited-waiver

So maybe this doesn't matter because I consolidated back in 2009. I just don't really know what my rate "should" be now because I just had it at this semi-arbitrary $200 a month or whatever for years and years (the reason I'm not paid off is because of interest that accrued while I was in a masters program and paused payments)

Ah ok! So based on the reading, this is for those who have student loans from before PSLF was a thing and want their qualifying payments to count now. Before, you'd be starting over entirely on the 120 qualifying payments, so people wouldn't include those loans in consolidations/didn't have the option to count those payments. Now they can, so long as they consolidate by Oct 2022.

basicblack posted:

Does she already hold a 4 year undergrad degree (BA or BS or something else)? In other words, is this a "second 4 year degree" or "second BSN program"? If she already holds a 4 year undergraduate degree, she may not be eligible for federal student aid; this is hugely problematic when I am working with students who are currently earning their BA or BS, but have decided they want to enter a "second degree" nursing program.

Adding to this part, I was a non-traditional earning a second degree. Because I never took out federal loans the first time, I was able to take them out for degree #2. However, because I had all those hours from the previous degree, I'd have to contact financial aid to have a hold lifted every semester for having too many hours to qualify for financial aid - not a huge hassle, but something to be aware of if this is her situation.

Wiggy Marie fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 22, 2021

basicblack
Oct 9, 2004

That basic little black dress.

Wiggy Marie posted:

Adding to this part, I was a non-traditional earning a second degree. Because I never took out federal loans the first time, I was able to take them out for degree #2. However, because I had all those hours from the previous degree, I'd have to contact financial aid to have a hold lifted every semester for having too many hours to qualify for financial aid - not a huge hassle, but something to be aware of if this is her situation.

Thank you for this reminder; I need to remember to ask this when helping my advisees fill out their SAP appeal paperwork!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
PSLF Waiver: If you consolidate Direct Loans, or Direct Consolidated Loans, into a new Direct Consolidated Loan, do you lose any existing qualifying payments for forgiveness?

I posted earlier, but my wife has 5 Direct Loans, 4 Direct Consolidated Loans (consolidated under her former servicer before pursuing PSLF as soon as she got out of school), and 7 more FFEL/Graduate Plus/Perkins loans. The latter seven weren't previously eligible for PSLF and when we discovered this in 2016 we had already made four years of qualifying payments on the other loans, and FedLoans wouldn't allow us to consolidate just the non-qualifying loans at the time for reasons I still don't understand.

Last week we submitted a consolidation application that rolls all 16 loans (Direct and non-Direct) into a single Direct Consolidated Loan. We wanted to do this now so that the new loan is active before forbearance ends at the end of January. The reason we rolled all the loans together is because, frankly, (i) it was the default option, and (ii) my understanding of the PSLF waiver is that it includes qualifying payments for any previous loan type (except Parent PLUS).

This week we received a letter from FedLoans saying that if we consolidate the Diect/Direct Consolidated Loans that we will lose the existing eligible payments for PSLF. The letter was also ambiguous as to whether this was the case under the PSLF Waiver. I reread the PSLF Waiver changes and while they do make it clear that you have to consolidate FFEL/Perkins loans into a Direct Consolidated Loan, it doesn't address the situation where someone has mixed (Direct and non-Direct) loan types. It does say "Past payments under any plan count for non-consolidation loans through Sept 30, 2021" qualify for PSLF, but that wording now makes me think that the waiver may not apply if you roll Direct Consolidated Loans into a new Direct Consolidated Loan. I also called a PSLF counsellor listed as the "Student Loan Support Center" on studentaid.gov (which just redirects to FedLoan Servicing) and the consellor told us to call FedLoans and ask to remove the Direct (Consolidated) Loans from the consolidation application, but again it's not clear if the counselor's advice is consistent with the PSLF Waiver and she dodged my question about that.

For now, we're opting to remove the nine Direct loans from the consolidation application, so once payments resume I think our payments will be a bit higher than I was expected (but not higher than what we were paying previously since we had already hit the 10-year standard plan payment cap), but it's not clear to me how this should work under the waiver.

Edit: Was on hold with FedLoans for over 40 minutes and couldn't get through this morning, so right now the application remains as is. I also found this and this FAQ, both of state clearly:
  • Loans consolidated more than once will receive credit for all months in repayment, regardless of the number of times the loan was consolidated.
  • Consolidation will NOT reset the PSLF count, but only during this waiver period.
  • 28. I understand that you are stating that consolidation will not reset my PSLF count under these waivers, but this makes me nervous as it is contrary to what I’ve been told in the past.
    a. We understand the anxiety around this messaging. As borrowers have until October, 2022 to consolidate and submit proof of eligible employment to get credit under these waivers, it is not particularly risky to wait to consolidate until you are comfortable with the guidance you have received. Borrowers should understand however that certain documents such as the consolidation promissory note, or servicer or federal agency website language may never be updated to reflect this waiver exception. With that said, we do expect the ED to issue this guidance in writing shortly.

Sorry if this post is rambling but I've been updating it over the past two hours as I've been trying to figure this all out. I guess we'll continue with the application as-is until we receive consolidation notice confirmation and see if any of this has firmed up.

Again, I'll echo my earlier comment that this whole thing is horribly predatory and it's very unclear how to correctly navigate this process.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 30, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
All this is why when I consolidated my loans I only included the ones that normally would not be forgiven and of the smallest of my various undergrad loans. That way if I gently caress this up I'm only out forgiveness on $2,000.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
In retrospect perhaps we should've done that from the get-go, although I think consolidating everything is strictly better for us if this all works out due to a three month difference in repayment status across the loans (the non-consolidated ones had a grace period while the original consolidated ones did not) and the lower payments on the PAYE plan would save us some $4-5k total across the remaining months we have to pay.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is it worth even giving a poo poo about the PSLF program if I will almost certainly have my loans paid off before 10 years? I’ve been in nonprofit for like 6 years, but only paid for about 2 years, and I still remain and will likely do so for at least 10 years.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is it worth even giving a poo poo about the PSLF program if I will almost certainly have my loans paid off before 10 years? I’ve been in nonprofit for like 6 years, but only paid for about 2 years, and I still remain and will likely do so for at least 10 years.

Sounds like the answer is no, but you don't actually have to do anything to be in the 'program' while you're repaying your loans assuming you're in a repayment plan that qualifies.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Is it worth even giving a poo poo about the PSLF program if I will almost certainly have my loans paid off before 10 years?
If you happen to have old FFEL loans from undergrad that have been in replayment for the six years you've been working for the non-profit, then if you consolidate those with your newer loans you can advance your eligibility the full six years under the PSLF waiver.

But if you only have direct loans that were not "in repayment" status until two years ago then the waiver won't change your present situation.

Aexo
May 16, 2007
I basically check every day if I have a zero balance and/or a letter saying the TEPSLF had been approved for me. I checked last night at like 2am and found a zero balance but no letter in the communications section. I check again this morning thinking it was probably just under maintenance last night at 2am but find it's the same.

This really gets me hopeful. But I'm not calling this through till I have a letter saying it's all gone.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Where are you all checking? The dept. Of ed site, your loan servicer, or somewhere else?

Aexo
May 16, 2007
When I started submitting employment verification forms myfedloan(dot)org took over servicing my loans and updated my valid number of payments count (months of calls to get an accurate count, in my case).

I've finally had an accurate count since like September I think it was like 128 payments at that point. I've just been waiting for a final check and approval for forgiveness. Still a zero balance but still no letter saying my remaining balance was forgiven as of right now.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
What effect do you all think that the end of the student loan pause will have on the economy at large? I’m guessing housing demand will go down and general spending and saving too. Maybe it will trigger a recession?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

JackBandit posted:

What effect do you all think that the end of the student loan pause will have on the economy at large? I’m guessing housing demand will go down and general spending and saving too. Maybe it will trigger a recession?
No effect. People with student loan debt are generally higher earners and student loan payments are generally a very small portion of their monthly expenditures.

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Dik Hz posted:

No effect. People with student loan debt are generally higher earners and student loan payments are generally a very small portion of their monthly expenditures.

But isn’t it widely accepted that student plan burden is causing this generation to buy houses less and start families later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

JackBandit posted:

But isn’t it widely accepted that student plan burden is causing this generation to buy houses less and start families later?

https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/10.1086/704609 Here is an article on home ownership. I didn't read the whole thing but I would also point out that a lot of people didn't buy houses young so they could move around and change jobs easier.

I am not sure student loans have as much to do with delaying having kids. Everyone seems to want to delay the kids these days for a variety of reasons. I am guessing there are papers out there that point to an impact though.