Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ian
Aug 12, 2003
The cinematography was fantastic but the entire product left me a little underwhelmed. It felt incomplete. But I still have to give it a 4.0/5.0. Best film I've seen in awhile aside from Children of Men.

The setting was immaculate, that's what I mean by cinematography. You felt like you were in Franco's Spain. I would classify it as magical realism, because of the mixing of the rational and the irrational -- the Faun and others were never presented as being anything except a little abnormal. The way that Ofelia's mother (or was it the caretaker Mercedes?) talked about Fauns made it seem completely reasonable.

The best part of the movie to me was the Captain. The way that they presented him was great, really giving you a psychological understanding of him. Ofelia's mother is tortured but not really explained. Mercedes, her brother, the doctor, none of these characters are really given a psychological treatment. And that was fine. But watching the Captain and how inner demons affected him (father's death), the sheer brutality of what he did as a result, that was the most engaging aspect for me.

ian fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU