Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Directed by: Guillermo Del Toro
Starring: Ivana Baquero, Maribel Verdú, Sergi López,

Guillermo Del Toro's dark fantasy, El Laberinto Del Fauno (Pan's Labyrinth), is a hypnotizing film about a young girl who is traveling with her pregnant mother to her new home. A fascist military controlled town surrounded by forests, tall hills, and in the distance mountains.

Ofelia (Baquero) is quite unhappy about meeting her new step-father, the Captain, and overall total dictator of this small town. Ofiela is a book worm, loves fairy tales and fantasy stories, she often reads or creates these stories for her yet unborn brother, that is until her fairy tale starts to come to life.

There is a duality in this movie that works, and is intermingled well, we have the reality around Ofelia and her mother, that seems to happen almost without them at times. The "cruel and unforgiving" real world as described by Mercedes (Maribel Verdu) the maid of the household, and Ofelia's dark and sinister fairy tale. It almost feels as if both worlds run parrallel to each other, but where one story is moving down one line in one direction, Ofelia is on the other track going in the opposite direction.

To summarize this is one of the best fantasy movies I have ever seen, probably because its not a total fantasy, but a mix between fantasy and brutal reality, use of colors and filters really augment and highlight and draw out your emotions during certain scenes. Fantastic atmosphere, and superb pacing make this a film I want to see over and over again.

RATING: 5.0

PROS: Fantastic enveloping atmosphere, excellent pacing, unique and creative visuals/creature designs, best adult fairy tale I can think of
CONS: Uneven performances from the young lead, a bit too much foreshadowing for my taste, overall the cons don't distract too much

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0457430/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU