Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulbous Goiter
Sep 15, 2003
Whatchu' Talkin Bout?
I agree with TedKoppel regarding his comment of it being sold the wrong way for the right reasons. I originally went into this film having heard little about it other than watching the trailer. From the trailer the viewer cannot be blamed for thinking it’s mainly a fantasy movie however, as has already been established in this thread, it’s a lot more than that.

There are effectively two separate stories, a fantasy world seen through the eyes of Ofelia (Ivana Baquero, who I just found out is only 12 years old), and the “real world”, which is very violent and sometimes disturbing place, in the setting of the Spanish Civil War.

The fantasy world is spectacular, everything (visuals, audio..seriously EVERYTHING) about it is amazing and I was always eagerly waiting the switch back. That said, the “real world” was still fantastically done and the Captain was the epitome “bad guy you love to hate”. I almost found myself wishing they would torture him more, a simple bullet to the head wasn’t enough! I guess he did get a his cheek slashed open, so that is something..
I don’t agree with the people that state the film should have focused more on one world or the other. I believe the balance was just right for the length of the film. I’d be interested to see an extended edition though, if only to see more of the amazing visuals of the fantasy world.

Pros: Fantastic atmosphere and environment created for both worlds, with an equally excellent integration of contrast between them. Unique creature and fantasy ideas the “hand-eye-creature” scene was amazing .

Cons: Could be a little longer if only to show us more of the fantasy world.

5/5

I’m still not convinced about whether or not it was real. The captain never see’s Pan even though Ofelia is talking to him when he walks in. Also the chalk outline Ofelia draws on the walls remain even after they disappear to her. On the other hand the mother gets sick again when the mandrake root is burned, resulting in the mother’s death. There is also the ending with the flower. Having only just got back from seeing it I will think it over for a bit longer before coming to a final conclusion :) .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU