Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eckoelab
Apr 7, 2005

we are chaos in motion
quote "Guillermo del Toro delivers a unique, richly-imagined epic with Pan's Labyrinth, a gothic fairy tale set against the postwar repression of Franco's Spain."

So, managed to get into the theater and catch this last night. I can really say this will quickly become one of my top ten, if not 5, movies that I can think off. Everything about this film is magic, the acting, the sets, the story, the costumes, it has it all. This movie is not for the squeamish and is not a kids movie by any stretch of the imagination, I would say honestly don't bring a kid under 13 or 14 there as some of the scenes are a bit rough, but all in all it is not an over the top style of violence, and it meshes with the story quite well. Sometimes it is a hard film to catch onto, as there seems to be two different stories evolving at the same time, but once you get your feet and realize what is going on, you become absorbed quite quickly.

I though the Wall Street Journal had a good, collective review of the film:

Wall Street Journal
"The result of the intricate interplay is a fairy tale for adults that is violent, sometimes shocking, yet utterly engrossing. And eerily instructive; it deepens our emotional understanding of fascism, and of rigid ideology's dire consequences."

So in short, if you haven't gone to catch this, I would do so before it leaves the theaters. I think it is something that may need to be watch a second or third time due to many of the symbolic images and subtle plots points. All in all a very nice way to spend an evening, and worth the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU