Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ottergiblets
Oct 17, 2005
You were always so forgetful...
I went in with a relatively open mind about this movie that I'd heard a few rumors about. Soon I found out just how much deeper it was than anything I expected. During the course of the movie, I was at the edge of my seat, hinging on every scene. By the time it was over, neither my friend nor I could move, but merely sat there a few minutes taking in the music and making sense of everything. The most powerful cinematic experience I've had in years. Excellent acting, atmosphere, music, plot, everything. The best movie I've seen in a very long time.
5/5

As for my personal interpretation,
I think people forget one of the most important thematic points: the captain's desire to have a child to remember his name and carry on his legacy. He will die, but his story will live on. Story is more important than reality. Personally, I love the movie as a sort of hybrid...the story we hear IS her fantasy, complete with all the fantastical elements as well as the real ones. In the end, she died and in reality just died, yet we see the end of her story as she has imagined it, with her living on for years and years. In the end, she is dead, but dead with a happy thought, in the comfort of a loved one (Mercedes). She dies peacefully, if tragically, and escapes from her harsh life.

At the same time, in her story, she lives on and on. The fact that it is only her fantasy doesn't really matter, in the same way any story we read is like its own little world, not phyiscally real but 'real' to us in some strange way. Isn't history itself a 'story'? As someone who loves stories(don't we all?), I like to think of her imagined life as a world unto itself, not real in essence but real in idea. Though the captain tries to use his son to 'live on' in memory, Ofelia lives on not through the hopeless strands of memory, but in her own story. It is together both more real and less real than his dream.

The ending become a surreal one, blurring reality and fantasy in a beautiful, if vague, mix that personally strikes me more than any concrete one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU