Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm guessing that "bad back links" is literally referring to SA, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
SA is pretty bad so I guess their story checks out.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Yeah I can really argue with calling links pointing back to our subforum here bad. Sounds about right.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

unpronounceable posted:

I'm planning on making one for Nozaki-kun soon when I'm back home from vacation. That shouldn't stop anyone else from making it first though.

It is done. Feel free to butcher the description/add recommendations.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it might be time to revise the new to anime list. Remember that this is a starter series list and not a "best" of anime list, but I think we can fit better shows on it.

Some obvious changes:
  • In sports, add Ping Pong. I think we can knock off One Outs, I love that show but most people should check out Kaiji first.
  • In romance, add My Love Story!!. I think we can knock off Fruits Basket.

Less obvious changes:
  • In fantasy, add Katanagatari. I think we can move The Twelve Kingdoms to the manga list and remove Attack on Titan.
  • There's a Miyazaki notice underneath the anime section, we can probably add Neon Genesis Evangelion and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya there. They are conspicuous by their absence. There's also only one Satoshi Kon work on the list so we should probably say "everything by Satoshi Kon" too. Masaaki Yuasa? Masaaki Yuasa.
  • If a manga has a really good anime, I think we should add some kind of mark on the manga list for people looking for a cool anime.

A bigger change:
  • Making a straight up Slice of Life section. Anime: K-on, And Yet The Town Moves, Hyouka, Yuru Yuri. Manga: Azumanga Daioh, Silver Spoon, Yotsuba&!, and something I can't think of off the top of my head. This frees up two spots under Comedy. Anime: Nichijou. Manga: Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun.

Post your suggestions too and I think we can make a better list!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm not aware of any manga for Twelve Kingdoms. There are the books but obviously I don't think that's what would be applicable here.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't know much about The Twelve Kingdoms but I saw someone mention a manga on the wiki page so I ran with it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke can probably be booted from the Romance manga section as well. I'd suggest Bonnouji for its replacement, I'm surprised it's not already on there. Ugh and Skip Beat too.

E: Akatsuki no Yona would make a superb Fantasy replacement for Attack on Titan.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 14, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nate RFB posted:

E: Akatsuki no Yona would make a superb Fantasy replacement for Attack on Titan.

:yeah:

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lets call it Yona of the Dawn tho.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm actually surprised at at the Romance manga section in general. Paradise Kiss? I mean I remember the anime being fairly well received but did anyone really give a poo poo enough about the manga for it to warrant a placement there? I feel like that whole spot was written before the Shoujo/Romance thread solidified, so surely there are plenty of other choices to go with there. That said while my first thought is to throw out House of the Sun and/or My Little Monster as suggestions I'm not sure how much of that is just me pushing some of my favorites and how "newbie" friendly they'd actually be.

Other random thoughts:

-Kara no Kyoukai should probably be replaced. I think it's cool as poo poo but it's a bit too pretentious/weird to be a introductory sort of thing.

-After thinking about it some mroe I think Fruits Basket is still a pretty good rec, after all the anime served that exact purpose IIRC when it first came out and the manga is just a better version of that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Fruits Basket was my introduction to romance anime/manga. I'd be sad if it were replaced.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i can think of one good reason not to rec my little monster to new people

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The parakiss manga is fantastic, fairly short, and legally available.

I figure those lists are for people almost entirely new to anime/manga, so those seem like decent criteria to help select stuff.

E: not solid rules obviously, Bonnouji almost definitely needs to be there and it's not available to buy here at all.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Fair enough, I liked the show well enough as well I just can't remember anyone ever really talking about the PK manga. It seemed like NANA was a whole lot more popular (RIP).

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My opinions:

Replace Astro Fighter Sunred in comedy with Nichijou, Death Note with Boogiepop in psychological and Legend of Galactic Heroes with Lain in Sci-Fi

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

put working in slice of life

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I knocked out Fruits Basket because I didn't particularly enjoy it when I tried to watch it and I've heard people mention it not holding up, but yea I'm just me. My Love Story!! is very new but it feels too good and easy to appreciate to not be on the list.

Also, let me know if anyone has thoughts on replacing One Outs. I think Ping Pong is definitely the kind of thing we want on the sports list but I'm not so sure on what to replace. If no one has objections I'll edit it in a few days.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

For horror manga can you just put a big EVERYTHING BY JUNJI ITO tag

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Fruits Basket was my introduction to romance anime/manga. I'd be sad if it were replaced.

Same! I still need to read the manga eventually.

Yona of the Dawn is definitely a good pick for fantasy. I'd also recommend the Snow White with the Red Hair anime for the romance category - there isn't much weekly discussion about it :shobon:, but I think it's a good series to marathon!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

btw, in as Smoking Crow

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Skip Beat needs to go. I say this as one of the probably only 3 people left on ADTRW still reading (and even still moderately enjoying) it. It's barely got any romance at all.

I'd replace it with House of the Sun. I think that one is awesome, and has both extremely light hearted, funny moments, as well as well written dramatic moments.

I read the Fruits Basket manga many years ago and while I don't have as much reverence to it as some people do, it's definitely a solid shoujo series and deserves to stay as an introduction.

I would definitely add My Love Story to the romance anime section.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

arisu posted:

Skip Beat needs to go. I say this as one of the probably only 3 people left on ADTRW still reading (and even still moderately enjoying) it. It's barely got any romance at all.

I'd replace it with House of the Sun. I think that one is awesome, and has both extremely light hearted, funny moments, as well as well written dramatic moments.

I'm also still reading and enjoying SB, and I 100% agree. House of the Sun is wonderful manga and a much better choice.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'd bump KnT from manga, and move it to 5cm/second's spot in anime. The manga is dragging on too long, while the animation version is lovely and stops at a good point. And as much as I love 5cm it's not really all that romantic.

My Love Story needs a spot too.

Maybe increase it to 5 per category?

This is hard since I want anything that is a favorite of mine to stay.

Also, I want either Girl Friends or Sasameki Koto in the romance manga section, but neither has a page and I might just be picking favorites again!

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Make a page for those the power is within you.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nobody added reviews to the pages I made before. :qq:

But yeah, I should do that if I can find some time.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Devil Tesla posted:

Make a page for those the power is within you.

When will I know that I'm cleared to make pages

I want to make one for Yamishibai (which should replace something on the horror anime section)

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

When will I know that I'm cleared to make pages

I think you'll get a message from the OP of this thread.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Devil Tesla posted:

Lets call it Yona of the Dawn tho.

Yawna of the Dawn.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Devil Tesla posted:

I think you'll get a message from the OP of this thread.
I usually confirm people as soon as I see them. You'll see the change go through in Recent Changes.

I also agree that My Love Story should go in somewhere as an anime, since seemingly that's what's better known/more popular. I'd also say it deserves such a slot over 5cm per second and maybe Honey & Clover.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

don't delete honey & clover. do 5cms, it sucks anyway

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All things being equal having MLS in Romance manga is fine since we are seemingly all in favor of purging most of the entries in there, it just feels kind of weird because it's the recent anime that's seemingly more popular.

I do kinda like the KnT -> Romance anime transition, I think that makes a fair amount of sense.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I should register for this and contribute. I love to produce content

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I finally got off my rear end and made a page for Shirobako. Please contribute to it. Especially the "If you like this, you might like..." section, because I wasn't sure what to put there.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

The Devil Tesla posted:

I think it might be time to revise the new to anime list. Remember that this is a starter series list and not a "best" of anime list, but I think we can fit better shows on it.

Less obvious changes:
  • There's a Miyazaki notice underneath the anime section, we can probably add Neon Genesis Evangelion and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya there. They are conspicuous by their absence. There's also only one Satoshi Kon work on the list so we should probably say "everything by Satoshi Kon" too. Masaaki Yuasa? Masaaki Yuasa.

i think what goes for miyazaki, kon, yuasa, should probably also go for oshii. sac is on there but not the (superior) movies? i mean i understand why, but its a weird oversight. maybe a separate category for feature films is necessary? i dunno. i should register.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

StandardVC10 posted:

I finally got off my rear end and made a page for Shirobako. Please contribute to it. Especially the "If you like this, you might like..." section, because I wasn't sure what to put there.

Yeah, that's a tough blank slate recommendation to make. All I can think of offhand are some other PA Works dramas. Maybe The Eccentric Family?

To try to get some ideas, I made the mistake of looking at the myanimelist recommendations. Someone recommended Working!! because they're both set in a workplace, and someone else recommended Idolmaster because "these two are the real story about real life".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my opinion: replace all the animes i don't like with animes i like

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sounds good endorph

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So I guess to summarize the suggestions so far (sorry if I forgot any):

Sports Anime:
+Ping Pong
-One Outs

Romance Anime:
+My Love Story!!
+Kimi ni Todoke
-5cm per second

Fantasy Anime:
+Katanagatari
-Kara no Kyoukai

Comedy Anime:
+Nichijou
-Astro Fighter Sunred

Sci-Fi Anime:
+Lain
-LOGH

Psychological Anime:
+Boogiepop Phantom
-Death Note

Romance Manga:
+Bonnouji
+Girl Friends
+Sasameki Koto
+House of the Sun
-Skip Beat
-Kimi ni Todoke
-Fruits Basket

Fantasy Manga:
+Yona of the Dawn
-Attack on Titan

Generic:
+Evangelion, Haruhi, Masaaki Yuasa, Mamoru Oshii, Satoshi Kon to the general/generic Miyazaki suggestion section

My personal takes would be that I think it would be silly to force ourselves to have to stick to 4 entries so for Romance Anime I'd just let it go up to 5. I'm OK with the Fantasy Anime and Comedy Anime suggestions and would strongly oppose swapping out LOGH for Lain. I don't really have a strong opinion about Death Note but wasn't that hugely popular with a a lot of people as an introductory series? I'd say it should stay based on those merits.

Most of the interesting stuff is happening in Romance Manga. I maintain that Fruits Basket should stay and personally I think we should only add one of Girl Friends or Sasameki Koto (I like SK way more so that would get my vote). Like Romance Anime I think we should just let it go to 5 entries.

Not sure about Evangelion or Haruhi but a general "Directors" section would be cool. I'd also throw out Mamoru Hosoda's name into that mix.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

My rationale for taking logh off the list is it's too long. I would never recommend a show with that many episodes to someone just starting out, it'll scare them away.

• Locked thread