Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Two parter:

1) I have a Pintech set played through a Roland TD-10 which sounds like poo poo. I'd like to connect (via MIDI, I assume) to my computer and just use the Roland to trigger samples on either Groove Agent or maybe Drumkit From Hell. Something along those lines. Is that possible?

2) Not that I mind doing a little experimenting and research, but if that's possible... how?

Earwicker, I had no idea you recorded. We'll be in touch. <3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've had a dedicated recording computer for some time, so excuse the simplicity of this one. Is it going to cause headaches if I put my recording soundcard (an Maudio firewire unit) in this computer at the same time as my real soundcard (Soundblaster X-Fi)? I did it with my computer about five years ago with an Audigy and a Mia and I just remember it being the biggest headache. Games would use the Mia for sound, Cubase would try to audio in from the Audigy, etc. Is it safe to slap both in if I'm okay with configuring things, or is it going to be a neverending battle of fixing settings?

Alternatively, if I just remove the X-Fi, would an Maudio firewire unit be good enough for casual gaming?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hey! Hey! We are going to answer my question, and we are going to do it with some god drat pizzaz around here! Do I make myself clear?!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I've had a dedicated recording computer for some time, so excuse the simplicity of this one. Is it going to cause headaches if I put my recording soundcard (an Maudio firewire unit) in this computer at the same time as my real soundcard (Soundblaster X-Fi)? I did it with my computer about five years ago with an Audigy and a Mia and I just remember it being the biggest headache. Games would use the Mia for sound, Cubase would try to audio in from the Audigy, etc. Is it safe to slap both in if I'm okay with configuring things, or is it going to be a neverending battle of fixing settings?

Alternatively, if I just remove the X-Fi, would an Maudio firewire unit be good enough for casual gaming?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Crystal Pepsi, I love ya. Another thing I was just curious about while I was diagramming my studio (everything's in storage so I'm just scribbling down ideas to make sure I've got everything in order).

Do I lose anything by not having an outboard preamp? I usually plug my mic directly into the soundcard (or in the new setup, my mixer), and it seems to me that would work fine because I could apply all the preamp processing to the dry signal once it's in the computer. This would also seem to have the added benefit of not making any preamp tweaks permanent to the track.

Mic -> Soundcard -> Plugins
Mic -> Preamp -> Soundcard

Any difference? You decide, at 11!

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Hmm, any suggestions for a cheap USB control surface for Cubase? Faders, play/record, the ability to re-record a part, maybe a few other basic functions. Would be nice to record tracks without having to use the mouse every time, so something really simple would be nice.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Has anyone had any success getting good sound out of speakers connected to a Line6 POD? I'd like to pick something up that will reproduce what I hear in the headphones? I'd like to use the POD as all-but-the-speaker now, rather than just a preamp, but I need something to actually make noise, and for that, I need a speaker to hook it up to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
For recording, should a POD over USB be enough? I'd been thinking that I needed to go POD into an audio interface into the PC, but the POD connects via USB. I guess it comes down to this - it's not like the POD is providing any processing to the computer, therefore it's not affecting the sound is it? It's just an interface to get guitar bass or vocals to the PC right?

e: And just to be clear since no one has replied yet I can clarify - I mean I'd want to add a few synth tracks, drum machine, lay down some effects, a full recording. I'm asking if the POD is good enough for that, if all I need is just a way to get the sound to the computer. I don't want to only record the guitar - obviously the POD would be good enough for that.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 15, 2015