Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

So I'm slowly getting back into recording, and I want to dabble in some midi. Can someone recommend me a cheap keyboard and a midi controller?

I dont plan on doing anything crazy, I just want to play around with some VSTs (because I never have).

edit : Does anyone have Line 6 foot switches? I'm currently looking at the FBV Express, but I'm noticing alot of reviews that say its built cheaply.

pennywisdom fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 24, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Ohms posted:

Has recording acoustic guitar been covered somewhere? I am trying to record my friend playing acoustic and just having a hard time I guess.

I have a SM57, Audix OM2, and a MXL 2003 condenser at my disposal. I tried using the 2003 pointed at the port hole/bridge angled up at it from slightly below. I wouldn't say facing straight at it but more of an angle. I set the OM2 up a little higher pointing at where the neck meets the body. I panned these two tracks left and right. I was having a hard time getting my OM2 to match the levels of the 2003 so I threw a compressor on it and tried bringing the gain up a bit. I also have the bass roll off engaged on the pre that the 2003 is coming in through.

I don't know, I'm just not getting the tone and sound I want. What do you guys do?

You're probably going to get some major phase issues if you don't know what to listen for. I usually get pretty good results micing from the 12th fret, or where the neck meets the body. The closer you get to the soundhole, the more bottom end you're going to get.

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Anyone use Reaper in here?

Every time I try to record in an instrument track, it gives me an offline message. I can't seem to get around it, and I can't find anything online.

Help?

edit : updating to the latest version seemed to solve that.

pennywisdom fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Sep 18, 2009

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I'm using a SM57 and an old ElectroVoice mic through a PreSonus Firebox into either Ableton or Cubase depending on what I'm working on. However, when I go to record, I end up having to crank the mic gain past +20 to get any sound that's even audible. Am I just not playing loudly enough? Much louder and I'll start being audible out on the street, which I'm trying to avoid. Is my mic too far from my amp? It's about 4 feet away right now.

I figure the equipment is fine, it's operator error, but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I'm not too sure about your gain issues, but slam that 57 up against the grill of your amp (or at least an inch away), right in front of the speaker cone. Putting it directly in the middle of the cone will yield a brighter tone, and placing it towards the edge of the cone will do the opposite.

Play around until you find something you like.