Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Eifert Posting posted:

Rich isn't ok

I hope that's just a bad joke :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The downside of not setting up an RSS feed is being fooled by 60 new posts about RSS feeds into thinking there was a new comic

Now to start 60 posts of people complaining that they came in thinking it was a new comic only to see 60 posts of people complaining about no new comic

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

If there was anything seriously wrong, there'd be an update over on GiTP about it just like when he hurt his thumb. Almost certainly just normal "I can't wait a month for the strip!" griping.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Maybe he got arrested for storming the capitol. lol

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
When you really hit rock bottom, you break into an elementary school art classroom just so you can see some stick figures

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Maybe it's homebrew. Pretty sure it was within the rules of D&D 3.5 to Make Things UpTM

a few pages late but:

War and XPs, pg 368 posted:

I will say this much: It is possible to guess.
That is, it isn’t something I just made up for the story.
It wouldn’t be any fun for the answer to a mystery to be
something I invented just for this one purpose, would it?
I won’t finally throw back the darkness and have someone
say, “Look! It was a therblewurkersaurus the entire time!” or
some other made-up monster.
I realize that the line between something I made up
and something someone else made up is a pretty fine one,
but I trust that someone will figure it out eventually.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What was the longest the comic went without an update?

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Probably the 3 months break after Rich's thumb got got. Maybe some breaks between books came close?

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

ZearothK posted:

What was the longest the comic went without an update?

That time when he injured his thumb it was out for 3 months and change.

A one-month gap between updates isn’t even that unusual. Presumably he took some time off over Xmas/NY (at least I hope he did), and the events of the last two weeks can’t have been great for his ability to concentrate on drawing stick figures.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I still think about the "power is power" speech. Applied it in my life, even.
The second part of that speech actually shows up in the Start of Darkness book and holy crap

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Eifert Posting posted:

Rich isn't ok

In fairness, nobody is.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

maltesh posted:

Ah: Meant to ask; What's a recommended Xykon quote for an avatar? Other than "Power is Power?"

The Evil: A Growth Industry panel. "We're Always Hiring!"

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Someone else is already using that one though.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sirtommygunn posted:

Someone else is already using that one though.

Avatars are not prom dresses, people can have identical ones

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
No way there's already two people running around with an avatar of a dog with sunglasses and two people with like a monster man with a hammer or something I think is from a video game and they all post on the politics forums and I'm already confused enough sometimes. I don't want no double avatars trouble in the OotS thread!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe he got arrested for storming the capitol. lol

Fairly certain from what I know of Rich's politics, he'd never be close to that crowd, but please don't joke about that. I'd legit consider walking out on OOTS if Rich was one of those folks.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Sky Shadowing posted:

Fairly certain from what I know of Rich's politics, he'd never be close to that crowd, but please don't joke about that. I'd legit consider walking out on OOTS if Rich was one of those folks.

I have a hard time imagining someone who could both write OOTS and be a mindless capital-storming maga - the cognitive dissonance between OOTS's values and Trump's would simply be too great. On the other hand, Orson Scott Card exists, so I suppose anything is possible.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DontMockMySmock posted:

I have a hard time imagining someone who could both write OOTS and be a mindless capital-storming maga - the cognitive dissonance between OOTS's values and Trump's would simply be too great. On the other hand, Orson Scott Card exists, so I suppose anything is possible.

Don't compare Rich to Card, that would be unfair to Rich. Ender's Game is good and Speaker For the Dead is decent, but everything else he's written is doodoo.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Gynovore posted:

Don't compare Rich to Card, that would be unfair to Rich. Ender's Game is good and Speaker For the Dead is decent, but everything else he's written is doodoo.

*inserts the XKCD comic/joke about how there's only 4 fans of xenocide*

Well, tbf they are both good writers but only Rich has so far proven to be a good person.

Amusingly Card is probably very much very similar to Eugene Greenhilt. Someone who maybe at some point was decent but as they got older just got more bitter and angry and stopped trying, based on my personal experiences in interacting with him.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Raenir Salazar posted:

*inserts the XKCD comic/joke about how there's only 4 fans of xenocide*

Well, tbf they are both good writers but only Rich has so far proven to be a good person.

Amusingly Card is probably very much very similar to Eugene Greenhilt. Someone who maybe at some point was decent but as they got older just got more bitter and angry and stopped trying, based on my personal experiences in interacting with him.

:frogon:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Speaker of the Dead had biologists too stupid to figure out a reproduction cycle and healing a traumatized child with a single hug because nobody had thought of hugging them before. I hate that book.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Gynovore posted:

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I'd bet Burlew is a good person and definitely way better than Card. Card's just the go-to example for someone who writes good moral values (have empathy for those who are different from you, militarism is bad, etc) into a good book (Ender's Game) and then publicly espouses the exact opposite values for some reason.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I don't feel like Card could've written Miko?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't feel like Card could've written Miko?

There's one or two characters that are vaguely miko-esque in outlook but that's getting into Jungian psychology and how archetypes can be shared across cultures, authors, genres, etc. Miko was arrogant, self righteous and undone by her own hubris, there's a handful of characters in Card's work that can fit that mould but the degree of round peg in a square hole will vary from reader to reader. Miko's arc is not particularly unique as a story telling character study.

e: I think there's an element of that come to think of it that on reflection trying to think back on the Shadow series and the Ender Quartet Miko's arc is also not really something that fits his style so to speak, which I think is a nuanced distinction from being able to write such a character. I think it's really rare to find a character in Card's works that don't ultimately have the sudden horrible realization of their mistakes/misdeeds and seek forgiveness/redemption which would be more in keeping with his faith. If Card had written Miko, Miko either wouldn't have died, instead she'd probably after killing Shojo realize the error of her ways and then spend the remainder of the comic following the Order to try to redeem herself (or keep doubling down on her mistakes until finally having that moment of realization), or, having died, would try to pursue redemption or make amends as some kind of positive energy spirit/wraith/force ghost. Like the positive energy version of a vengeful spirit.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jan 18, 2021

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Raenir Salazar posted:

There's one or two characters that are vaguely miko-esque in outlook but that's getting into Jungian psychology and how archetypes can be shared across cultures, authors, genres, etc. Miko was arrogant, self righteous and undone by her own hubris, there's a handful of characters in Card's work that can fit that mould but the degree of round peg in a square hole will vary from reader to reader. Miko's arc is not particularly unique as a story telling character study.

Card just doesn't strike me as somebody who would think Miko was wrong about anything.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I know nothing about Card or Ender's Game specifically, but Rich has shown actual introspection and growth, most notably in his treatment of female characters, which puts him way ahead of any Trump rioters and a depressingly large segment of fantasy/sci-fi authors.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Pope Guilty posted:

Card just doesn't strike me as somebody who would think Miko was wrong about anything.

Not really sure that's right because come to think of it Gloriously Bright in Xenocide is kinda similar to Miko, down to accusing her father figure of treason, and she was definitely depicted as being wrong about everything.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know nothing about Card or Ender's Game specifically, but Rich has shown actual introspection and growth, most notably in his treatment of female characters, which puts him way ahead of any Trump rioters and a depressingly large segment of fantasy/sci-fi authors.

Definitely.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well, tbf they are both good writers
Correction: Card was a good writer. He's been phoning it in for decades.

Edit: We all have a lot of nostalgia for Ender's Game, but even that has a very simple and kind of thin plot, looking back. (And, LBR, Ender is a ridiculous Mary Sue.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 18, 2021

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't have much nostalgia for Ender's Game. Even when I was a kid reading it I thought it was stilted and kinda off-putting, especially that scene where he beats the bully to death. And Ender was absolutely a weirdo Marty Stu, lol.

Only You Can Save Mankind was a far superior scifi novel.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I feel pretty confident in believing that Pratchett is a good person too.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sir Terry Pratchett was an absolute saint.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Correction: Card was a good writer. He's been phoning it in for decades.

Edit: We all have a lot of nostalgia for Ender's Game, but even that has a very simple and kind of thin plot, looking back. (And, LBR, Ender is a ridiculous Mary Sue.)

mary sues arent real, free your mind of internet poisoning

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

mandatory lesbian posted:

mary sues arent real, free your mind of internet poisoning

Mary Sues cannot exist in original fiction because we call them protagonists instead.

They can exist in fanfiction though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Mary Sue is shorthand for a specific character archetype. It conveys an idea and it's weird to get up in arms about it unless you're genuinely confused by what someone means when they say it.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Mary Sue is shorthand for a specific character archetype. It conveys an idea and it's weird to get up in arms about it unless you're genuinely confused by what someone means when they say it.

its generally used nowadays to refer to a female protagonist who approaches the amount of poo poo a male protagonist gets away with

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I don't have much nostalgia for Ender's Game. Even when I was a kid reading it I thought it was stilted and kinda off-putting, especially that scene where he beats the bully to death. And Ender was absolutely a weirdo Marty Stu, lol.

I read it as an adult, and found it to be terrible. I can see why it works as YA, but it's not the serious moral treatise Card thinks it is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The concept also sometimes gets thrown around in a misogynistic way by people who think women being able to do anything is a wild exaggeration of their ability, which other people are backlashing against.

I don't really know much about Rich as a person, and I don't think Order of the Stick particularly gets directly into the value of democracy, but there does seem to be a general lack of singular omni-competent hero worship like you'd expect out of somebody who would get sucked in by a cult of personality.

There is also a way that some characters just have a dark skin color and nobody cares about it and they freely enter romantic relationships with light-skinned characters that I don't think trump supporters would be fond of. The wholesomeness of Durkon's extended family also seems contrary to the way that recent politics have really forced a lot of families to :sever: over political differences.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The author commentary for book 5 is pretty explicit about how a diverse group is up against an old white guy. I don't think Rich is a chud.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
It's very odd to me that people think Mary Sue is a sexist term used to attack female main characters. I don't doubt that it happens, but I learned the term through examples that were exclusively male, namely the main character of Last of the Mohicans and Sasuke from Naruto.

Ender has many Mary Sue characteristics but he suffers greatly. The story denies him things he wants. He does not resolve the conflict in a way that is morally acceptable to him. I think that makes it hard to call him a Sue. At least in book one.

Superman in any bad superman story? Now there's Mary Sue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It might depend on what parts of fandom you hang out in, for me Mary Sue was almost exclusively used to refer to female fan characters, especially self-inserts and the like. It wasn't used for canon characters all, and there were even, like, fanfiction cabals where people would write their own self-inserts going into other people's stories and killing the 'bad' self-inserts. The early late 90's/early 00's were wild. Mary Sue was mostly used for female characters at the time, but to be honest I could have probably counted male fanfiction self-inserts on one hand. Not enough teenage boys wanted to write about their torrid affair with Legolas I guess. Nowadays if I hear 'Mary Sue' it's mostly dudes complaining about Captain Marvel or Rey Skywalker or Arya Stark, or any other female lead in a predominantly male genre. So for some people it's not a sexiest term but I generally give them the old side-eye anyway.

Edit: I know this has nothing to do with The Order Of The Stick but between here and the fanfiction arguments happening in some other threads I'm having flashbacks to 2001 LiveJournal fandom and it's been messing with my brain.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 18, 2021