Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Quick! Somebody call the stick figure phrenologist to let us know which one's smarter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Mystic Mongol posted:

In Start of Darkness Redcloak had a brother and a neice and nephew, who loved him, all of whom he killed.

So that's nice.

In Start of Darkness, the Sapphire Guard killed most of Redcloak's immediate family. Being drafted into Xykon's army killed Right-Eye's wife and sons (Admittedly, that might not have happened had Redcloak not been visiting them at the time.) Right-Eye's daughter was smuggled away, and presumably, has left the narrative alive. Redcloak unambiguously killed Right-Eye, though.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Quick! Somebody call the stick figure phrenologist to let us know which one's smarter!

The one who took an obviously unfair deal from literal demons is the smart one

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What was unfair about it? The fiends delivered what they promised (enough power to save V’s family from a dragon) at the low cost of 50 minutes’ worth of V’s soul. They did then go on to exploit the soul time to sabotage the Order’s defense of the gates, but I don’t think that invalidates the deal itself.

I would definitely sell my soul for 50 minutes in exchange for enough power to save a life or alter history, even knowing those 50 minutes could be used to prank anything important I might do in the future.

V also established the Azurite refugee town and would have reunited the Order, were they not comically foiled by narrative, on top of saving their spouse and kids. That’s a pretty good deal.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 19, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Heck, they were even obligated to present V with another potential course of action to achieve what they wanted without doing the deal, though it admittedly relied on everyone else reacting appropriately and in time. The IFCC just knew that V’s pride was too great to humiliate themselves by running to their master to beg for help in cleaning up the mess that they had made,

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What was unfair about it? The fiends delivered what they promised (enough power to save V’s family from a dragon) at the low cost of 50 minutes’ worth of V’s soul. They did then go on to exploit the soul time to sabotage the Order’s defense of the gates, but I don’t think that invalidates the deal itself.

I would definitely sell my soul for 50 minutes in exchange for enough power to save a life or alter history, even knowing those 50 minutes could be used to prank anything important I might do in the future.

V also established the Azurite refugee town and would have reunited the Order, were they not comically foiled by narrative, on top of saving their spouse and kids. That’s a pretty good deal.

V thought, at the time, that his time as the IFCC's slave would be AFTER he died.

Also, the fact that V's Master is (potentially) strong enough to one shot an adult Black Dragon, and yet is just sitting around in it's tower REALLY nails down the apathetic, aloof nature of elves.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

The IFCC aren't even being dicks about the time leased--stealing V for 1 minute at a time instead of the full lease duration.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Rhaka posted:

The IFCC aren't even being dicks about the time leased--stealing V for 1 minute at a time instead of the full lease duration.

I think of the line " Why should we lie, if we can get what we want by playing it straight?" often.

And while we are talking about great lines when V commands the Kobold to become Mr. Scruffys litterbox " His silent screams are a symphony that I cannot share" is also a good line.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Johnny Aztec posted:

V thought, at the time, that his time as the IFCC's slave would be AFTER he died.

Also, the fact that V's Master is (potentially) strong enough to one shot an adult Black Dragon, and yet is just sitting around in it's tower REALLY nails down the apathetic, aloof nature of elves.

That's not necessarily the case. Rich has mentioned in a few places that V is basing their conception of their master on V's power level, not objective reality. So, since V was so much below their master as an apprentice, they still think of that master as being that much more powerful than they are despite their own massive growth. He hasn't explicitly denied V's master being that strong, just that you can't take that panel as gospel.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gnoman posted:

That's not necessarily the case. Rich has mentioned in a few places that V is basing their conception of their master on V's power level, not objective reality. So, since V was so much below their master as an apprentice, they still think of that master as being that much more powerful than they are despite their own massive growth. He hasn't explicitly denied V's master being that strong, just that you can't take that panel as gospel.

It'd kinda defeat the point of V's pride being their downfall if they legitimately had no other choice, imo.

The entire starmetal thing that lead to the black dragon's son dying wasn't even V's adventure, they went along because of Roy.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Acerbatus posted:

It'd kinda defeat the point of V's pride being their downfall if they legitimately had no other choice, imo.

The entire starmetal thing that lead to the black dragon's son dying wasn't even V's adventure, they went along because of Roy.

Oh they had another choice, but it wasn't the one the fiends offered and it was way worse.

Fly back to the ships, beg their compatriot's help, use the pile of divining magic v had created to find where the dragon fled, get durkon to plane shift, go on some side adventure, kill the dragon, get diamonds, raise their family.

Every step hard. Hard for everyone involved. And swallow pride enough to apologize to the party they scorned, the family they endangered.

No way that's what they'd do, because it wasn't expedient, it has huge costs and requires admitting weakness

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I also wouldn't be a fan of the psychological impact on the kids being tortured to death and then living with that after rez.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Acerbatus posted:

The fiend's alternative scheme was absolutely awful for like ten different reasons, none of which they gave V the time to contemplate. Their downfall chiefly sprang from all the choices they made after selling their soul.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The fiend's alternative scheme was absolutely awful for like ten different reasons, none of which they gave V the time to contemplate. Their downfall chiefly sprang from all the choices they made after selling their soul.

To be fair, feelings of near-omnipotence DOES have a tendency to cloud judgement a bit.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

also freed ochul and saved the gate from xykon by delaying him.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Vaarsuvius is also directly responsible for the amount of time that the fiends have access to, because instead of just saving the family and leaving at that, there were other lingering moments of pride and arrogance like resurrecting the dragon's head just to genocide its family. Clearly there was no concern over ever having to pay the price that the fiends laid out. In the comic it looked like Vaarsuvius was perfectly willing to just hang onto the power indefinitely until Xykon snatched it away.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If V had just brought the rest of the party with them to fight Xykon, they almost certainly would have won then and there ironically enough.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it was classic pure hubris. Such a good story arc, I always find myself reading the entire thing whenever I stumble upon it in the archives.

Xykon would also have been in a lot more trouble without Redcloak to insist he set up the trap runes, and to figure out the Soul Splice. Part of V's arrogance was considering Xykon's lackeys irrelevant footnotes instead of crucial obstacles in their own right.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

If V had just brought the rest of the party with them to fight Xykon, they almost certainly would have won then and there ironically enough.

Eh, they didn't have Roy. Especially since Varsuuvius wasn't going to hang around fifteen minutes waiting for resurrection. And nobody was really prepared for the fight. Yeah, it probably would have gone better, but there's no guarantee on that one.

Not that pointing out that things would likely have gone to poo poo anyway has any bearing on V's out of control actions and self-destructive hubris. Learning that raw force didn't mean anything was a character building moment.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Did V trance inbetween the dragon fight and the Xykon fight?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gynovore posted:

Did V trance inbetween the dragon fight and the Xykon fight?

No, but the splice replenished all their spell slots. They were still sleep deprived and distracted though.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Fate has a funny way about it. Monster in the Dark learning about his own particular set of powers is gonna be exactly the push fate needed to get Elan his happy ending.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

No, but the splice replenished all their spell slots. They were still sleep deprived and distracted though.

No, they said the Splice would both refresh the spell slots and rejuvenate V. V is fully rested ,

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Johnny Aztec posted:

No, they said the Splice would both refresh the spell slots and rejuvenate V. V is fully rested ,

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html

it doesn't say that, though i guess you could read it that way.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

sebmojo posted:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0634.html

it doesn't say that, though i guess you could read it that way.

All the vieny marks are gone from V's face. Thus, V is fully rested. :colbert:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
I don't want to take a side, but I do want to point out that v says they feel tired and foolish afterwards.

Since everything in this debate is reading too much into one or two lines, might as well add that one to the pile

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ikanreed posted:

I don't want to take a side, but I do want to point out that v says they feel tired and foolish afterwards.

Since everything in this debate is reading too much into one or two lines, might as well add that one to the pile

V just had all the Soul Splices smashed out of them, literally, and has experienced several traumatic emotional shocks.

Of course V would feel tired.

But there is literally no argument here. No Dark circles under the eyes, no vein marks = Rested.
Just like how when a character is healed, they have less " Battle Damage" look.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Gaining the splice recharged the spell slots, but what about after the dragon fight but before Xykon? V used at least one 9th level spell and one Epic. (I'm assuming Familicide is Epic).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gynovore posted:

Gaining the splice recharged the spell slots, but what about after the dragon fight but before Xykon? V used at least one 9th level spell and one Epic. (I'm assuming Familicide is Epic).

Those were used up. But V still had a bunch of other spells from 3 epic casters in the whole. Until Xykon energy drained them that is.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also Familicide was the necromancer's spell, and all her spells left when she did, so that spell slot would have been lost either way. Though since it was presumably a prepared spell (since only one of the souls was a sorcerer), unless a different context in which Familicide would get used came up that particular slot would have probably gone unused either way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Also Familicide was the necromancer's spell, and all her spells left when she did, so that spell slot would have been lost either way. Though since it was presumably a prepared spell (since only one of the souls was a sorcerer), unless a different context in which Familicide would get used came up that particular slot would have probably gone unused either way.

That seems like a really niche spell to keep prepared all the time. Just casually wiping out huge chunks of entire species.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Facebook Aunt posted:

That seems like a really niche spell to keep prepared all the time. Just casually wiping out huge chunks of entire species.

Sure, but we're talking about the kind of person who would create a spell like Familicide.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
The fiends seemed to have had the soul splice offer planned out in advance, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to presume they gave the souls notes on what to prepare too, with points along the lines of "Don't bother with the basics; the elf has that covered", "There'll be other souls focusing on the big guns from <School X> and <School Y>", "Bring samples of your flashiest atrocities."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, it's not niche if you're a complete monster and near-omnipotent necromancer and your reaction to someone slighting you is to instantly respond with disproportionate force. Like V says in that moment, if you're completely amoral it's also a way to make sure that your opponent's family don't attempt to avenge them.

Also, if you're that necromancer and everyone knows you always keep that spell prepared, it probably makes it a lot more difficult for would-be heroes to even consider crossing you. Also, you're the most powerful necromancer in the world and, again, completely evil: who cares if huge chunks of a species die? That's just more stuff to reanimate later.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Slashrat posted:

The fiends seemed to have had the soul splice offer planned out in advance, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to presume they gave the souls notes on what to prepare too, with points along the lines of "Don't bother with the basics; the elf has that covered", "There'll be other souls focusing on the big guns from <School X> and <School Y>", "Bring samples of your flashiest atrocities."

Hell, it could well have been that they deliberately ensured that V would have access to Familicide as an elaborate means of knocking Girard off the board and ensuring his gate went down.

E: Girard's clan, I mean, not Girard himself.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's also not as bad a spell as it would be in the real world. In our world using that on a person could conceivably go way back and wipe out all vertebrates or something. In Oots it doesn't even wipe out an entire species, because the world was made fully populated a few thousand years ago.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Facebook Aunt posted:

You’ll understand it when you craft your first epic spell.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
would have to be very careful about casting that on a whatever species you are

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

jsoh posted:

would have to be very careful about casting that on a whatever species you are

With all the half-elfs there must be tons of guys that look completely human but are actually 1/16 elf. Anybody could have some unexpected ancestors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
If you're developing an epic spell to annihilate large amounts of living creatures according to a specific broad criteria, crafting in an exception for the caster (or just yourself specifically) seems like a no-brainer