Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

ZearothK posted:

Wait, which RPG models velocity?

The HERO system can do this! Just spend the next 6.5 hours coming up with the correct model to use for your calculations and not only can you accurately model velocity but you'll also be able to determine exactly when your players completely lost interest and wandered off to do something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Wouldn't the moon have a massive penalty to its Hide checks due to its size?

There is some loving nerd who has calculated this I bet.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I wanted to write up a fake DEATH BATTLE write up for when two PCs in the campaign I'm in were facing off in a tournament battle and tried to do that style of math, "Well if with base 40 feet of movement, with Haste, Bonus Action Dash, +5 from this, +10 from that... They can move at the SPEED OF SOUND!" but I didn't have their sheet so gave up at trying to figure that out. It was fun writing up what I could, reviewing my session notes to track their achievements: "These two Heroes have been friends and adventurers, saving the world one Irate Dragon at a time, but who would win if they had to turn their weapons, skills and abilities on each other!? This is Thundertwig and I'm Sorc, and it's time for a FINAL FIGHT!!!"

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Raenir Salazar posted:

Doesn't Cyberpunk or Shadowrun do something like it for modeling grenades exploding in a small enclosed space?
Yeah, Cyberpunk 2020 grenades rules for:
_where they land (you roll)
_how they scatter (a table)
_ and depending on the blast radius a frag has, there are optional rules on how to distribute damage on a group in its blast radius (probably what you are talking about). And yes it includes walls and enclosures.

I can also think of at least one OSR game with bouncing/missing rules for grenade launchers. It's like you missed the target AC? Roll 1d12 for the direction and 1d6 for the bouncing range in meters. Now hurt everyone in blast radius.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ikanreed posted:

Gurps tried.

Probably should've seen that one coming.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

MikeJF posted:

Probably should've seen that one coming.

it's the story of gurps, after all

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

NameHurtBrain posted:

Back in the Murphey's Rules thread, yes. Offsite version available here.

quote:

Except, well... the problem with line of sight is that checks made to Spot something take a -1 penalty per 10 feet of distance. Given that our moon is somewhere around 1.2 to 1.3 billion feet away, you're looking at a 120 million penalty to your check.

But wait, the moon is pretty big. Things take a penalty to their checks to hide based on how big they are. The Tarrasque, as a 50 foot tall killing machine, takes a -16 penalty to its checks to hide (and thus is incredibly difficult for your average commoner to spot if it's standing on the other end of a football field). The epic rules have options for creatures larger than colossal, which basically dictate that every time its size doubles, it moves up another category. 64 feet (2^6) is the bottom for Colossal, providing a (-8) 2^3 size penalty. The moon is 2159 miles wide, roughly 11.4 million feet. 8.3 million feet is around 2^23, which means the moon is somewhere around Colossal+17, and takes a 2^20 size penalty, multiplied by 4 to offset your spot check (2^22, or roughly 4 million).

You take a -120 million penalty to spot the moon, offset by a 4 million bonus because the moon is big. Unless I screwed up by a factor of 64, you probably can't see the moon.

The sun is roughly 400 times larger, but also roughly 400 times farther away, so no luck there. Other stars may range from the sun's size to 1500 times larger, but they're also 250,000 times farther away at minimum.

The skies above Greyhawk are black and empty. None have ever seen the stars.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

NameHurtBrain posted:

What do you mean, look at it, it's like the size of a coin

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Back in the Murphey's Rules thread, yes. Offsite version available here.

And yet the sun always hits its touch attacks for radiant damage.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
Shadowrun has the "Chunky Salsa" rule, where if the blast of the grenade hits something that it doesn't blow up the shockwave goes back, which hits the character again. This can make a 5 foot hallway become you getting hit 6 times the damage of the grenade.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
This is the point where, as the DM, you turn to the offending player, mutter something along the lines of "Congratulations. The moon, as an inanimate object, is not trying to Hide. You successfully Spot it." and threaten to start throwing erasers at them if they bring it up again.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Also it presumes that the sun and the moon in a given setting have the same size and distance from the planet as their counterparts do in our solar system.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Ugly John posted:

The moon, as an inanimate object, is not trying to Hide.

The moon very much tries to hide. Like, I get where you're coming from, but the moon very much tries to hide (on a monthly basis, in fact!)

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

The sun has a lot of hit dice to add to its check to light the moon up. Without the sun, the moon is indeed hard to spot.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Ugly John posted:

This is the point where, as the DM, you turn to the offending player, mutter something along the lines of "Congratulations. The moon, as an inanimate object, is not trying to Hide. You successfully Spot it." and threaten to start throwing erasers at them if they bring it up again.

3.5 Rules on the Spot Skill posted:

The Spot skill is used primarily to detect characters or creatures who are hiding. Typically, your Spot check is opposed by the Hide check of the creature trying not to be seen. Sometimes a creature isn’t intentionally hiding but is still difficult to see, so a successful Spot check is necessary to notice it.
The target not intentionally hiding is not sufficient to automatically succeed a Spot check. You can rule circumstance as the DM since there is a "sometimes" in there, but "it's not hiding so you see it" isn't an automatic property of how Spot works.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009

The target not intentionally hiding is not sufficient to automatically succeed a Spot check. You can rule circumstance as the DM since there is a "sometimes" in there, but "it's not hiding so you see it" isn't an automatic property of how Spot works.

This is exactly what the eraser is for.

EDIT:

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

The sun has a lot of hit dice to add to its check to light the moon up. Without the sun, the moon is indeed hard to spot.

This is also a really good answer!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Surely the sun should be giving you a spot penalty from the glare. :v:

Also I read someone who did the maths and it has millions in size penalty but billions in distance penalty so you can't ever see it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Poil posted:

Also I read someone who did the maths and it has millions in size penalty but billions in distance penalty so you can't ever see it.

see, you can fail Spot checks against inanimate objects not trying to hide

(though posts, like celestial bodies, presumably aren't characters or creatures anyway so maybe those rules are irrelevant?)

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 27, 2024

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

quote:

Spot checks may be called for to determine the distance at which an encounter begins.
You can see the moon but you can't fight it until one of you closes the distance.

Anyway, I went to check GitP forums, and apparently it's a solved issue:

quote:

This has been debunked. You are within its radius of illumination, therefore you see it, even if you fail a spot check. Same thing for the moon. Rules Compendium. It's the same for the stars, except that you need to go to a 3.0 source to find out that yes, starlight is dim light.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Mar 27, 2024

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

You can see the moon, but you can't fight it until one of you closes the distance.

"Houston, we got a 17 on initiative"

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Much more relevant is how utterly inflexible 3.5/Pathfinder is at letting characters try any physical action that isn't specifically baked into their character class. Want to surprise swing a chandelier into the dastardly villain and knock him down with your momentum? Unless you specifically took the Dashing Rogue prestige class or the Attack from Swinging Ceiling-Mounted Object feat, it's gonna be strictly worse than just walking at a brisk pace towards the villain and calmly attacking him. Want to swim underwater at night, grab the dozing dock guard by their ankle and drag them into the water? The grapple rules forbid that in eighteen different ways.

This is one of the things I most dislike about 3.0+ style of play, at least the groups I've been in. People treat their character sheet like a menu in a video game. If it's not on the menu, it can't be done.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"... IS THE MOON A GOD drat CREATURE? You know what, gently caress it. Give me one second..."

*rolls dice*

"Were you actively hiding? No? Roll initiative, the ELDRITCH HORROR that was the moon has awoken and it sees you. Congratulations, you fail to go first, and the moon eats you."- Me if I was DMing and people started saying that during the game.

I mean, it's funny, but your own highlighted quote does specify creature, not "creature or object". Which means characters will always find the TV remote, unlike me.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009

Randalor posted:

"... IS THE MOON A GOD drat CREATURE? You know what, gently caress it. Give me one second..."

*rolls dice*

"Were you actively hiding? No? Roll initiative, the ELDRITCH HORROR that was the moon has awoken and it sees you. Congratulations, you fail to go first, and the moon eats you."- Me if I was DMing and people started saying that during the game.

I mean, it's funny, but your own highlighted quote does specify creature, not "creature or object". Which means characters will always find the TV remote, unlike me.

New "one weird adventurer trick": Find any mimics in a room by attempting to Spot every object with a character with a massive penalty.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Wait, so what do you have to roll to, say, spot a dime from across the room? Is it just assumed that everyone can see it somehow?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Wait, so what do you have to roll to, say, spot a dime from across the room? Is it just assumed that everyone can see it somehow?
Money can be used to keep yourself and others safe and fed, so it should be a Survival check. :D

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 27, 2024

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I assume you'd make a Search check for that.

quote:

You generally must be within 10 feet of the object or surface to be searched.

I feel like that just makes things even worse, re: finding the moon...

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I imagine that if you wanted to locate the moon with sufficient precision to interact with it, you wouldn't "eyeball it" with skill checks.

Either go through all the observations and calculations that space agencies do or, more practically, scry on it.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Finding a mundane object is search not spot. You can't search for the moon as it is more than 10 feet away.

Also 3.x has too many skills

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I imagine that if you wanted to locate the moon with sufficient precision to interact with it, you wouldn't "eyeball it" with skill checks.

Either go through all the observations and calculations that space agencies do or, more practically, scry on it.

You don't need a skill check to navigate to a place you can see if there is no obstruction that breaks line of sight.

If the moon is not in the sky I would take either survival or knowledge: astronomy

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 27, 2024

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I imagine that if you wanted to locate the moon with sufficient precision to interact with it, you wouldn't "eyeball it"

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

d20srd posted:

The Spot skill is used primarily to detect characters or creatures who are hiding. Typically, your Spot check is opposed by the Hide check of the creature trying not to be seen. Sometimes a creature isn’t intentionally hiding but is still difficult to see, so a successful Spot check is necessary to notice it.

A Spot check result higher than 20 generally lets you become aware of an invisible creature near you, though you can’t actually see it.

Spot is also used to detect someone in disguise, and to read lips when you can’t hear or understand what someone is saying.

Spot checks may be called for to determine the distance at which an encounter begins. A penalty applies on such checks, depending on the distance between the two individuals or groups, and an additional penalty may apply if the character making the Spot check is distracted (not concentrating on being observant).

Nowhere in this description does it imply that you would need a Spot check to locate the moon, so it doesn't matter. You don't have to roll for everything. The moon is not difficult to see.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

You can see the moon but you can't fight it until one of you closes the distance.

Anyway, I went to check GitP forums, and apparently it's a solved issue:

I guess this works if you wanna fight rules lawyering with rules lawyering.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

NihilCredo posted:

I find these jokes puzzling. You can't fault a dungeon crawling tabletop game system for failing at modeling celestial objects, or any kind of physics phenomenon that isn't relevant to "four guys fight at most a dozen other creatures in close-range combat".

D&D 3e presents itself as a rules system to model a simulated world and everything in it - in fact these jokes can only work because D&D makes that claim, and is not very good at it. "spot the moon" is a more absurd version of your "rock'em-sock'em-robot full attacks are better than improvised attacks", the result of sedentary game designers throwing together rules and numbers based on what "makes sense" without thinking about the result. it's the same as Burlew making fun of 4e for having a max weapon range of 150ft, save 4e was more honest about being a tactical squad combat game

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Lt. Danger posted:

D&D 3e presents itself as a rules system to model a simulated world and everything in it - in fact these jokes can only work because D&D makes that claim, and is not very good at it. "spot the moon" is a more absurd version of your "rock'em-sock'em-robot full attacks are better than improvised attacks", the result of sedentary game designers throwing together rules and numbers based on what "makes sense" without thinking about the result. it's the same as Burlew making fun of 4e for having a max weapon range of 150ft, save 4e was more honest about being a tactical squad combat game

I don't think D&D 3e has ever made that claim. The joke works on some level because lots of rules get added in to adjudicate real world scenarios like that and supplements add systems and subsystems that lends to that feeling but I don't think its ever been officially been the case. Maybe some players/DMs act this way, but that isn't really how it works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Thankfully, we have FATAL from a hard-working game designer who developed rules based on real-world statistical distributions

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
3.x absolutely made the mistake of going too granular but not granular ENOUGH where you get issues like yeah, if you want to toss a chair or swing off a chandelier, well, we're granular enough we have skills that are related to that. We have spot/search for seeing things and rules for seeing and it's granular enough that the thought exercise of not being able to see the moon is relevant parody.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Thankfully, we have FATAL from a hard-working game designer who developed rules based on real-world statistical distributions

... nope. Nope nope nope nope nope.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think D&D 3e has ever made that claim. The joke works on some level because lots of rules get added in to adjudicate real world scenarios like that and supplements add systems and subsystems that lends to that feeling but I don't think its ever been officially been the case. Maybe some players/DMs act this way, but that isn't really how it works.

ok, maybe it doesn't want to model everything. but you can compare D&D 3e and similar games, where rules approximate real-world physical processes, to games like Apocalypse World etc., where rules approximate narrative processes

consider also the attempt to make D20 a universal system for all settings

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You can't spot the moon, but with a high enough Bluff skill you can BE the moon

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I absolutely loved that grognards.txt bard story.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Maxwell Lord posted:

You can't spot the moon, but with a high enough Bluff skill you can BE the moon

When the moon hits your eye, and it rolls really high, that's a morte.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nimby posted:

When the moon hits your eye, and it rolls really high, that's TPK.